At The Car Parts Store

-

RogerRamRod

The Older I Get, The Faster I Was
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
CF612D92-FB33-48EA-847A-7FF7ECF43E99.jpeg

They ask me the year/make/model and I feel like Johnny Cash...

Well, It's a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56
'57, '58' 59' automobile
It's a '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '67
'68, '69, '70 automobile.

I look it up online, get the part number and call to make sure they have it. I cut out all the work "for them".

Last edited:
I look it up online, get the part number and call to make sire they have it. I cut out all the work "for them".
Yea I do that too, usually they have to order the part... and 85%of the time its still a clusterf***!
Or, O Really sends it back before I make the journey to town!
Usually I can order it from Rock have it in two days, and still save some $$$$$$.

I wonder how many billions the O Reilly family is worth??

I just picked up a M/Cylinder at Summit... It was bad.... No flow to the rear brakes...
So I picked up another M/C this time from O'reilys..... It's bad... No flow to the front brakes, has a geyser in the rear bowl from fluid bypassing...
I took the original apart... cleaned it up & re-installed it... Works fine.... WTF!!!

Yea I do that too, usually they have to order the part... and 85%of the time its still a clusterf***!
Or, O Really sends it back before I make the journey to town!
Usually I can order it from Rock have it in two days, and still save some $$$$$$.

I wonder how many billions the O Reilly family is worth??
They have a terrible habit of sending things back too quickly. It has to do with inventory. Stupid as it sounds, parts that are unpaid for sitting on the order shelf waiting for customers to pick up count against inventory. So, they are rushed to send that stuff back.

I just picked up a M/Cylinder at Summit... It was bad.... No flow to the rear brakes...
So I picked up another M/C this time from O'reilys..... It's bad... No flow to the front brakes, has a geyser in the rear bowl from fluid bypassing...
I took the original apart... cleaned it up & re-installed it... Works fine.... WTF!!!
Makes you wonder, doesn't it? That's one reason you'll see me say in brake threads to rebuild the old parts when possible. Because then, you still have a made in USA part. All of these master cylinders they sell......the NEW ones are cast in China. I'll just stop right there. lol

Part store.. Can I help you?
Me .. I need a headlight for a 67 Barracuda.
Part store ... A what? Who makes that?
Me.. 67 Plymouth Barracuda made by Chrysler.
Part store... what size motor do you have?
Me... doesn't matter what size engine it has.
Part store. Will that be a left or right side?
Me.. And I want to shop here why?

Part store.. Can I help you?
Me .. I need a headlight for a 67 Barracuda.
Part store ... A what? Who makes that?
Me.. 67 Plymouth Barracuda made by Chrysler.
Part store... what size motor do you have?
Me... doesn't matter what size engine it has.
Part store. Will that be a left or right side?
Me.. And I want to shop here why?
:rofl:

Being there many times, and you walk out shaking your head and the parts guy (supposedly) is scratching his. LMAO

Try walking into Autozone and telling the guy you need a grease seal for the front rotor on an 89 2wd Dakota. 10 minutes later I walked out empty handed.

Dude went thru it all. Year, model, 4wd, engine...
89 Dakota Shelby (they actually have the sub-model listed) Tried to confirm twice it was 4wd. Told him your system does not even let you pick an engine size or 4wd for the Shelby , so why ask me.
I don't fault the guy too much, he was just following his trained monolog and not looking at what the screen was telling him.
At any rate he finally determined he could get one in 2 days..... I stopped at NAPA on my way home. Wasn't much better on the intelligence end, but he found it in 3 min and had 2 in stock.

Last edited:
The part that makes me chuckle is, those morons at these parts stores think they're sellin world class parts. They're too ignorant to even realize the quality is getting worse. Dumbasses.

I went Sunday looking for a 7/16-20 Banjo bolt. Guy says sure, starts heading to the Dorman Help section. I don't protest yet,- I've been surprised at what the Help line has produced. He tries the bolt in the size checker dealio, and says its a 12mm. I said I doubt it, I'm working on a 68 Dodge. "well-it fits here" - "well maybe just try the 7/16 just to be sure". "OH yeah, it does fit this a little better".
He thumbs through the rack a bit, come up with something and says here, and hands me a package. I look at it and say - this is just a regular bolt, it doesn't have a hole in it. He askes why theres a hole in it, so I proceed to explain how a Banjo bolt passes fluid from a hose into a fitting or device.

I went Sunday looking for a 7/16-20 Banjo bolt. Guy says sure, starts heading to the Dorman Help section. I don't protest yet,- I've been surprised at what the Help line has produced. He tries the bolt in the size checker dealio, and says its a 12mm. I said I doubt it, I'm working on a 68 Dodge. "well-it fits here" - "well maybe just try the 7/16 just to be sure". "OH yeah, it does fit this a little better".
He thumbs through the rack a bit, come up with something and says here, and hands me a package. I look at it and say - this is just a regular bolt, it doesn't have a hole in it. He askes why theres a hole in it, so I proceed to explain how a Banjo bolt passes fluid from a hose into a fitting or device.

can you imagine the other side of that story?

so this old confused geezer came in the other day, asking for a bolt for his 68 dart
like they even made darts back then, he musta meant an 18 dart

so i took him over and handed him a 12 mm bolt, just to get him back on the road again, and get this, he asked for some prehistoric SEA pitch (like those '18 darts dont use standard metric bolts)

but whatever, he managed to find one that somewhere matched, so i grabbed him one of those
you know, customer is always right and such

then he asks about a whole, so i tell him, the nut is the part with the hole in it, not the bolt
so get this, turns out hes not working on a car at all, hes working on a flipping banjo

i should have sent him over the guitar center but he started some weird story about hoses
i thought hosery was a department at macies

I can tell you this......OReilly's profit goal for 2020 was ten billion dollars. Even with covid going on they crushed it. I understand the regular store employees saw not one red cent of that.

I somewhat fortunate that there are a few people in the local auto part stores that are actually car guys, one is even a Mopar guy! I try to make sure that I am dealing with him whenever possible, at least he has some knowledge and experience.

I can tell you this......OReilly's profit goal for 2020 was ten billion dollars. Even with covid going on they crushed it. I understand the regular store employees saw not one red cent of that.

why would they?

it was not the regular store employees that took the initial risk, and put in the work to build the store that build the name?

and i dont know about you, but for me, more times then not it is the person behind the counter that made me decide to order whatever i need online

now, dont get me wrong, i think rewarding employees and profit sharing are great ideas, but the owner has no obligation what so ever, past the compensation which is delineated in the employment contract

why would they?

it was not the regular store employees that took the initial risk, and put in the work to build the store that build the name?

and i dont know about you, but for me, more times then not it is the person behind the counter that made me decide to order whatever i need online

now, dont get me wrong, i think rewarding employees and profit sharing are great ideas, but the owner has no obligation what so ever, past the compensation which is delineated in the employment contract
Maybe not, but it was the regular store employees who worked with skeleton crews, with cut hours, constantly under the gun from stupid programs like dialing for dollars where they have to answer the phone a certain way or get points taken away. OReilly has so many roadblocks up for raises, it's pathetic. You can give the best customer service possible but from a list of one of their many stupid numbers programs, all they have to do is say "oh you didn't meet your dialing for dollars (or whatever program quota) this month, so no raise for you. Not conducive to good employee growth. Rather than recognize good employees, they pile up reasons to punish them.

Last edited:
-
Back