Attempt to get the FATTEST spark plug arc

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Proposal:
I was disappointed that my MSD6Al only puts out 1 amp per 1000 rpm. It's and adequate spark but I want a fatter arc.
Idea:
Add a second coil, fabricate the 2 coil wires into 1
QUESTION:
Would there be energy enough of a significant voltage drop if the coils were wired in series ?

At 6200 rpm the amps from the MSD is 6.2.
Which I'm thinking is not enough to feed two Accel super coils

I know that I could run the risk of overheating the coils, but, I would use one coil to cruise, and if somebody revved the engine at a stoplight, engage coil two for the duration of the run, the disengage it.

Idea 2
2 MSD boxes, 2 coils, as before 2 coil wires fabricated into 1

Potential problems with Idea 2
Can't run wire core spark plug wires with on
an MSD6AL Box, it will fry the box
So...I will have to run non wire core wires.
I don't know if the insulation on the non wire core wires will do 15 amps total. I'm thinking there is a spark plug wire cover can get that could reduce any chance of electricity leaking and arcing on the engine.
Also I'm thinking that the arc off the rotor could be enough to hit two cylinders at once ??

Biggest challenge:
Fabricating the 2 coil wires into 1 coil wire without leaking current

Your thoughts ??
Ideas ??

Not sure where you got the 1 amp per 1000 RPM. There isn’t a battery fired ignition I know of that gains power with RPM.

And I don’t think the old MSD 10 boxes made an amp.

If you want amperage (don’t we all) then you need to get a magneto. Not the Vertex style with the internal coil, but the Mallory with the external coil. You can send those out and get 5 amps easy. 5 actual amps, not the MSD wonky method of measurement.

I personally wouldn’t use a 6 box on anything but a dead stocker.

Wait for the guys to chime in who run 5 second 1/4’s with and analog MSD 6.

The 7 is the MINIMUM box any performance engine should use.

As a very smart dude once said, “you can’t have too big of a fuel pump, push rod or ignition”.

I agree with that 100%.

Re read the directions. The MSD uses 1 amp of energy per thousand rpm, not dispenses.

Where the hell do you come up with these ideas and notions! Stop smoking grass!

To get the biggest and fattest kernel of spark energy requires you to open up the plug gap.

Dear LORD!!!!

Did ya ever think to get a few freakin books before opening up your mouth?

Re read the directions. The MSD uses 1 amp of energy per thousand rpm, not dispenses.

Where the hell do you come up with these ideas and notions! Stop smoking grass!

To get the biggest and fattest kernel of spark energy requires you to open up the plug gap.

Dear LORD!!!!

Did ya ever think to get a few freakin books before opening up your mouth?
Things have been slow on here I thought I would throw something out there to stir the pot , it appears that it worked.
After all I have been called Mr Controversy

Last edited:
Speaking of magnetos, do they make one for a small block?

Yes. FEI I think out of Albany Oregon bought out the Mallory mag shop. I had a Super Mag III that was hopped up to 5.2 amps. I should have kept it but when I quit racing I sold most everything I had.

EDIT: Fuel Injection Enterprises out of Albany. FIE.

-
Back