Audio question?

-

gunbunny

Reaction score
For you audio guys out there I have a question.
The radio head for my Duster doesn't work, no sweat, I have a portable bluetooth speaker that I pair up with my phone and it works ok.
It got me to thinking, is there such a thing as speakers that can be permanently mounted that could be powered from the car?
I know there is such a thing as a bluetooth amp, but I'm not sure if you have to have a head unit to power it or not. I would think something like that could power the speakers and have stereo quality sound.
Anyone have any kind of experience or knowledge of something like this?
I'm not real interested in cutting up the dash and I'm to tight to send the broke radio off to have it converted to A/M-F/M ect. Besides, I'm told the backlog is about 3-5 months.
Just looking for options.

I have ran amplifiers in cars with no head unit at all. I ran them off of Sony Walkman, Diskman and IPods. Use the 3.5mm outlet to a dual RCA male plug and that goes into the amp. I would ASSume that if the amp if Bluetooth ready, it would eliminate the cable. Install speakers like normal or even subwoofers. Just get an amp that supports bluetooth and you should be good. Here's a quick look at whats out there.

https://www.crutchfield.com/fg_120_...X5pxSDxm2GLUtlCyyG02FRISMuP40_KRoC5gUQAvD_BwE

I just use a small 20wx2 amp mounted under the dash with a 3.5 jack to rca cable and plug in a small battery powered fm radio or my phone for tunes. I have 4x6 speakers in aftermarket kick panels. Sounds okay. Need a real amp and an 8 inch sub to fill some lows in.

I made one of these for another member. You can run your original AM radio through it and it will automatically switch the radio off when you connect your phone. Here's the thread.

The Golden Age Of Wireless

I like the simplicity, but I'm a big audio fan and will be running at least 2x10" if not bigger speakers plus components. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 watts total. I like it loud and clean. This will most likely necessitate a newer style head unit after I repair the dash from the last guy that hacked into it. The whole looks like they tried to install a console record player unit or some crap.

loud and clean from blutooth? Remember the old FM modulators that sounded like **** no matter where you tried to use them? I had a blutooth issue with a cheap adapter. cut outs galore, sounded like a machine gun sometimes. I then went to an OEM module for my laptop to my stereo blutooth receiver and it sounds much better now. To the guys running amps off the aux cord to RCA jacks: does the amp have a sweet spot for the input levels? ie does your volume on the ipod take care of master volume adequately?

I find the headphone out of the iPod to an amp works very well up to about 7/8 of the range, start noticing it struggling after that.

I wont be running mine on bluetooth, that's why I stated that I will be running a newer style h/u. Possibly something with android auto/apple carplay. I do use Slacker and have the premium subscription and you can download your stations and play them and not use data and also pick the quality you wand to stream at. As for using the Ipod to an amp, you can control the master volume, but there is a sweet spot, and it changes depending on the quality of the album your playing. The newer the recording, usually the better the sound.

Well, thanks to you guys, I ordered one of these.
I'm thinking maybe jacking it into the amp with the 3.5 jack may be a better choice than bluetooth. I have enough points it didn't cost me anything, so we'll see how it goes.

For you audio guys out there I have a question.
The radio head for my Duster doesn't work, no sweat, I have a portable bluetooth speaker that I pair up with my phone and it works ok.
It got me to thinking, is there such a thing as speakers that can be permanently mounted that could be powered from the car?
I know there is such a thing as a bluetooth amp, but I'm not sure if you have to have a head unit to power it or not. I would think something like that could power the speakers and have stereo quality sound.
Anyone have any kind of experience or knowledge of something like this?
I'm not real interested in cutting up the dash and I'm to tight to send the broke radio off to have it converted to A/M-F/M ect. Besides, I'm told the backlog is about 3-5 months.
Just looking for options.
What we did. Minor trim to plastic (I know) but I'm also to cheap to buy an updated factory unit. Custom Auto Sound USA-230 am fm with an auxiliary plug in. $159. AND the factory knobs work.
20180508_190047_Richtone(HDR).jpg

For a short time I used an Alpine power pack: https://www.amazon.com/Alpine-KTP-445U-4-channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B003VVYL46
I wired a 3.5mm connector to it so I could just plug in my phone. The probably with using just an amp is the sound quality. There's really no built-in EQ or any kind of signal processing.

I've been looking at a unit like that for a different project. Let me know how it sounds.
Actually, so for it's working out really nice. I'm somewhat surprised at how good it sounds.
You will have to buy a separate power cord, as it doesn't come with one.
But the unit is small enough that I have placed it in the glovebox and routed a Aux cord to come out at the ashtray. For the price, you can't go wrong.

-
Back