Auto parts retail stores rant.

-

seabee

Reaction score
This is a rant: Today I needed to buy or rent a small hydraulic press. I called the list of Auto Parts stores that are nearby and was once again disappointed with lack of knowledge and service. When did these chains start recruiting fast food rejects? I am sure there are good stores out there in some remote locations but I am speaking generally of my experience with them. If you happen to work at one of these stores I hope not to offend you. But if you work at one of these stores in Southern San Diego area and fit the description of who I am talking about then, yeah, you should be offended and find new employment :) :puker:

Autozone: Their employee setup is to have one "knowledgeable" staffer somewhere in the store and fill the rest with useless slackers who know absolutely nothing except when their lunch breaks and paychecks are due. Usually the one "knowledgeable" staffer is being swamped with questions and phone calls from staff and customers and looks like they are about to have a stroke. Once I had to go through two employees before I found one that understood English. (This is to be expected since I live in Southern San Diego but still annoys me when I get a smartass smirk like I'm the idiot who can't communicate.) Their prices are their only saving grace sometimes but rarely do they have anything but the most common of parts. Their special order system sucks. Website is by far the best though.

NAPA: Is hit or miss. They usually have a few really experienced guys or gals that know their stuff but are stressed out and moments from going postal. They are understaffed and overworked from the looks of it. Usually have the parts in stock at decent prices except for tools which are very expensive.

CarQuest: No complaints here with employees. They have seasoned employees who know exactly what you want. There is usually enough employees so you only wait a few minutes to get help. They actually smile and don't seem to be suicidal. Prices are pretty high though compared to other chains. Special orders usually only take a few hours.

Orielly/Kragen: There are more employees than customers, but usually it takes three of them to find what you want. Large selection of oddball stuff that comes in handy and pretty decent stock. They could fire half the staff and replace with one or two more decent ones though.

I guess this is to be expected from chain super-stores that have to compete in a declining market due to the internet. I remember going to these stores when I was in high school and there would be some ol' timer with a bunch of big thick catalogs and manuals who seemed like the mecca of automotive part information. He could find the part you are talking about and probably give you a tip or two on your project. Now it's a sea of pimple faced idiots who get paid to ask someone else or type 4 basic key commands into a database. /end rant

Sometimes if you ask for the catalogs they'll have them in the back. They might let you take them also. Before I left I tried ordering all the catalog they would let me. But they didn't order any good ones. But I did get some of the older ones to keep might use them one day.

I competely agree with on this. I used to work for a big parts store and the things you here and see is amazing. You do get lucky to find one person that knows what they are talking about. All they know how to do is ask year, make, model and then there still completely lost. And not a single person knows how to look into a catalog if there live depended on it.

Since I don't work at parts store and I pull in and see a bunch of imports or 4 bangers I'll usually go to next one unless I see an older person or an classic/muscle car outside.
Atleast I still get discount only reason dont order on-line yet. If I find it on-line I can get it for same price and don't have to pay shipping.

This is a rant: Today I needed to buy or rent a small hydraulic press. I called the list of Auto Parts stores that are nearby and was once again disappointed with lack of knowledge and service. When did these chains start recruiting fast food rejects? I am sure there are good stores out there in some remote locations but I am speaking generally of my experience with them. If you happen to work at one of these stores I hope not to offend you. But if you work at one of these stores in Southern San Diego area and fit the description of who I am talking about then, yeah, you should be offended and find new employment :) :puker:

Autozone: Their employee setup is to have one "knowledgeable" staffer somewhere in the store and fill the rest with useless slackers who know absolutely nothing except when their lunch breaks and paychecks are due. Usually the one "knowledgeable" staffer is being swamped with questions and phone calls from staff and customers and looks like they are about to have a stroke. Once I had to go through two employees before I found one that understood English. (This is to be expected since I live in Southern San Diego but still annoys me when I get a smartass smirk like I'm the idiot who can't communicate.) Their prices are their only saving grace sometimes but rarely do they have anything but the most common of parts. Their special order system sucks. Website is by far the best though.

NAPA: Is hit or miss. They usually have a few really experienced guys or gals that know their stuff but are stressed out and moments from going postal. They are understaffed and overworked from the looks of it. Usually have the parts in stock at decent prices except for tools which are very expensive.

CarQuest: No complaints here with employees. They have seasoned employees who know exactly what you want. There is usually enough employees so you only wait a few minutes to get help. They actually smile and don't seem to be suicidal. Prices are pretty high though compared to other chains. Special orders usually only take a few hours.

Orielly/Kragen: There are more employees than customers, but usually it takes three of them to find what you want. Large selection of oddball stuff that comes in handy and pretty decent stock. They could fire half the staff and replace with one or two more decent ones though.

I guess this is to be expected from chain super-stores that have to compete in a declining market due to the internet. I remember going to these stores when I was in high school and there would be some ol' timer with a bunch of big thick catalogs and manuals who seemed like the mecca of automotive part information. He could find the part you are talking about and probably give you a tip or two on your project. Now it's a sea of pimple faced idiots who get paid to ask someone else or type 4 basic key commands into a database. /end rant

shut the hell up

Man I know exactly what you're talking about. For instance I went to an Autozone the other day near my house and saw four Mexican girls, none of which weighed over 105lbs in charge of the store. They had no clue what they were doing and couldn't even lift an alternator to be tested. What a joke!!!!!!!!

Our Carquest is run by people who`ve been there for years! They are very knowledgable about most everything foreign or domestic for the last 40 years. A bit high though. Napa is probably next with a fairly good crew that have a grasp on both vintage and modern metal. Advance which is close to your O`reilly`s is probably 3rd with just a couple people that know what they`re doing. You need to know when they`re working if you want to get anything correct. A lot of cheap Chinese parts though, it`s getting very difficult to find any American product there (even things like wheel bearings). Autozone here is like yours,.......... pathetic. I don`t bother anymore unless it`s absolutely necessary. I know what you`re saying, auto parts stores are no longer run and staffed by "car guys" and it reflects in the service.

I work at autozone because it was the only job I could find in God forsaken southern Illinois and I agree they hire some people that should be flippin burgers. when I drive my 1970 340 Duster to work business picks up and the drive by traffic doubles. the only problem is the old dude that comes in and says he needs that round thing on the front of his motor. he has had this truck 10 years but still don't know what size motor is under the hood. we must understand that most folks out here don't know their rides like we do. autozone has become the Walmart of auto parts store sorry guys but that is how it is. I don't like it either.

Well I guess I'm lucky. I have two excellent guys that help me at Advance Auto about a mile from my house and my "back-up" is NAPA about 1-1/2 mile from my house where Pete is an excellent body guy and Ken is a collector and an excellent A-body expert.

Yup, no disrespect to any auto parts store employees here. I`m sure it`s a different story wherever you go. I do remeber a time though when American made cars ruled and all the counter guys were car guys.

Once again I would hate for any employees of said stores to feel like I'm generalizing you with the bad experiences I've had locally. For every 5 or so bad experiences I have had there has been a good one. My local Carquest has two guys and a gal that know what they are doing and do it well. It is a job that requires both customer service and a general automotive knowledge base to do well.

On a positive note I found a local Harbor Freight store and got a 6 ton press. It's a cheapo Chinese one but did the job on my steering column and wheel studs. Their coupon for 20% is in most car mags and it ended up being 67$.

I work at a local CQ and can tell you yes the quality of employees has gone down quite a bit over the last few years. Fact is none of these chains pay a decent wage anymore. Our store was family run since the 70's until the owners decided to sell it to carquest. We saw at least 20 employees leave within the first year after the switch in our 4 store locations. Im staying long enough to relocate to Texas then I will be getting out and going back to wrenching.

One thing I can say to defend alot of counter guys these days is the cars are WAY more complex now. The old guy who sat behind the counter and could rattle of part numbers doesn't really exist these days. Old muscle cars where great because they did have fewer parts and most of them fit tons of other models. Now you look up an alternator and 5 different ones fit one model car! not to mention all the sensors and crap these days, TPMS, TPS, MAF, O2, cam sensor, crank sensor, coolant level sensor, oil level sensor, oil pressure sensor, air charge temp sensor, Just to name a few! I mean its great technology but do you have any idea how many people come in and don't know where to add oil! Not to mention how many customers that come in and couldn't even tell you what engine or trans. their vehicle has.

I see your point there Seebee. It's like Longone posted. It will vary depending on the location. It would be tough to explain what you wanted if no one could understand each other also. The Orielly store works well for me here. We have an Autozone and i like the Duralast tools but for parts it's O O O Oriellys. We do have some very old parts stores here in town and i saw the owner the other day at the liquior store and ask him if he had any old Mopar parts stuck back in the back. He said sure. Told me to come on down and look. You can bet i'm goin to.
Small Block

I work for Advance, I hear horror stories from customers about Autozone and I'm sure they hear the same stories about us.......it all depends on who is behind the counter, if they actually have working knowledge of a vehicle or if they sit around reading "tuner" mags and thinking they know. I've gone into other Advance stores and had to argue with the guy as to what will fit my 55 Dodge.....for instance it has a radiator cap from a 68 Valiant that he was sure wouldn't fit. I guess my point is...you'll have people like that at every parts store, it's inevitable.

Man I know exactly what you're talking about. For instance I went to an Autozone the other day near my house and saw four Mexican girls, none of which weighed over 105lbs in charge of the store. They had no clue what they were doing and couldn't even lift an alternator to be tested. What a joke!!!!!!!!

Dude!!.....exactly what I was gonna say! The local Pep Boys employs a bunch of fast food rejects (about 1/2 are female Mexican chicas....at least some are hot..lol....management ain't stupid!) When I go to the counter to get a part, I just tell 'em to spin the computer monitor around so I can see it.....and do their job so I can get the right part.

We had one "real" old-time parts store left in our city....but....it finally went belly-up. Had a really awesome machine shop in back with REAL knowledgable guys. It was the kind of old-time parts store that juuusstt might have a carb kit in stock for an old AFB or something weird like that.....or had some old Stewart-Warner gauges hanging up on the wall......TONS of brass fittings in drawers in front of the counter for the customers to go through themselves........it even had that old smell of a real parts store......it really sucks that they're gone now.

One of my friends owns a NAPA store, his dad had a Dodge, Plymouth dealership for years that Mike worked at before the store . It's great, he knows exactly what I want and can tell you how to install it too!

Dude!!.....exactly what I was gonna say! The local Pep Boys employs a bunch of fast food rejects (about 1/2 are female Mexican chicas....at least some are hot..lol....management ain't stupid!) When I go to the counter to get a part, I just tell 'em to spin the computer monitor around so I can see it.....and do their job so I can get the right part.

We had one "real" old-time parts store left in our city....but....it finally went belly-up. Had a really awesome machine shop in back with REAL knowledgable guys. It was the kind of old-time parts store that juuusstt might have a carb kit in stock for an old AFB or something weird like that.....or had some old Stewart-Warner gauges hanging up on the wall......TONS of brass fittings in drawers in front of the counter for the customers to go through themselves........it even had that old smell of a real parts store......it really sucks that they're gone now.

Okay if they're hot and with a cute attitude then I can deal with their automotive inadequacies. However some of them give me their chola attitudes to go along with their failure to utilize the computer correctly. Several times I've had to be a jerk and tell them to get the manager out here so I can get my part.

How many of us have had an exchange like this:

You, to the guy behind the counter: "I only see one Anco 12-14 wiper refill on the shelf. Could you please check if you have any more?"

Counter guy sez "What year, make and model are you working on?"

You sez "It doesn't matter, I just gave you the part number. Anco 12-14. It's a 14-inch wiper refill like this what I am holding in my hand."

Counter: "I need a year, make and model."

You: "Fine, whatever. It's a 1972 Dodge Dart."

Counter: "Truck or car?"

You: "Dart. It's a car."

Counter: "What engine?"

You: "It doesn't make any difference! They all used the same wiper! Just pick one!"

Counter: "I need to know what engine. Does it have the one ninety eight three point two, the two twenty five three point seven, the three eighteen five point two or the three fifty five point seven?"

You: "There's no such a thing as a 350 in a Dart."

Counter: "Three fifty. Ummm...sorry, we don't have parts for that car."

You: "No, I said it couldn't have a 350 because they never came that way. A 350 is a Chevrolet engine, and this is a Dodge. It has a 225!"

Counter: "OK a 225...and does it have drum or disc brakes?"

You: "It has 14 inch wiper blades. Anco 12-14s. I can see them on the shelf behind you. Over your left shoulder. Can you please just grab me another one to match this what I have placed on the counter in front of you?"

Counter: "Uhhhh...I have to check with my manager...and he's on lunch...I could take down your, like, name and number...I guess...if you really want me to. That would require paper...and, like, a writing thing...we have these really kewl headlight blackouts, they look phat if you want to impress the chizzicks and, like, stuff. They're on aisle four."

You: "<unprintable>"

Counter: "Uhhhh...like...what-EVAH..."

Hahaha, I can just imagine the frustration. I've had a similar experience at a dealership. I was working on a friends Volkswagen because it needed the timing belt replaced. I went to the local parts store (which was really good before they went outta business) and asked for the belt for that model and year. The guy said that there are 3 different ones for the same model and year so which one do I need. As it wasn't my car, I couldn't give him the necessary details, but he said two of them are available in the aftermarket and he has both in stock so I can take both and then pay for the correct one when I bring the other one back (they were always really cool with us about that). He said the other of the 3 belts is only available through the Volkswagen Dealership. That evening I started work on the car and to my dismay, neither belt was the correct one. Bummer, I needed the belt from the dealership. Next day (after taking back both belts to the parts store, I walk into the dealership a few streets down and lay the old belt that came off the car on the counter and said: "I need this belt and its off a Volkswagen yadiedadieda".
He says: "whats the engine VIN of the car".
I said: "I don't know, but there are 3 belts available for this car and the one that's only available through you guys is the one I need. Here is the old one to compare and make sure".
Him: "No, I need an engine VIN".
Me: "you guys have your own shop here and surely you've replaced these belts heaps of times, just grab all 3 possibilities from the shelf and we'll lay 'em out on the counter and compare".
He: "No can't do that. I need a VIN"
Me: "I'll have to drive back to the garage and have a look. You guys close in 5 minutes, it'll take me about 10 to get, and don't let me see your doors are shut, I need that belt tonight and will kick the door in if necessary and probably strangle you the next time I see you."
He: "No, I'll be here, I'm normally here late anyway"

Luckily he was there when I got back and when he goes out back to get the belt he comes back and says "You're lucky. The others are out of stock and this was the only one we had. It's the last one"

:angryfir: He knew that all along and could have just grabbed it to check if it's the correct one, but he just stuck to his guns and made me get the VIN, knowing I couldn't go to the local parts store anyway. I didn't really have any choice.

Hahaha, I can just imagine the frustration. I've had a similar experience at a dealership. I was working on a friends Volkswagen because it needed the timing belt replaced. I went to the local parts store (which was really good before they went outta business) and asked for the belt for that model and year. The guy said that there are 3 different ones for the same model and year so which one do I need. As it wasn't my car, I couldn't give him the necessary details, but he said two of them are available in the aftermarket and he has both in stock so I can take both and then pay for the correct one when I bring the other one back (they were always really cool with us about that). He said the other of the 3 belts is only available through the Volkswagen Dealership. That evening I started work on the car and to my dismay, neither belt was the correct one. Bummer, I needed the belt from the dealership. Next day (after taking back both belts to the parts store, I walk into the dealership a few streets down and lay the old belt that came off the car on the counter and said: "I need this belt and its off a Volkswagen yadiedadieda".
He says: "whats the engine VIN of the car".
I said: "I don't know, but there are 3 belts available for this car and the one that's only available through you guys is the one I need. Here is the old one to compare and make sure".
Him: "No, I need an engine VIN".
Me: "you guys have your own shop here and surely you've replaced these belts heaps of times, just grab all 3 possibilities from the shelf and we'll lay 'em out on the counter and compare".
He: "No can't do that. I need a VIN"
Me: "I'll have to drive back to the garage and have a look. You guys close in 5 minutes, it'll take me about 10 to get, and don't let me see your doors are shut, I need that belt tonight and will kick the door in if necessary and probably strangle you the next time I see you."
He: "No, I'll be here, I'm normally here late anyway"

Luckily he was there when I got back and when he goes out back to get the belt he comes back and says "You're lucky. The others are out of stock and this was the only one we had. It's the last one"

:angryfir: He knew that all along and could have just grabbed it to check if it's the correct one, but he just stuck to his guns and made me get the VIN, knowing I couldn't go to the local parts store anyway. I didn't really have any choice.

Some guys are jerks just to be jerks.

SLANT SIX DAN that was the funniest thing ive ever read on this site...its its halarious because its so true. no matter where you are in the nation they do that exact thing . :-D

-
Back