Autocrossing A Bodies

-

joes68340s

Reaction score
Have'nt seen much about autocrossing A bodies. I have a 68 Formula S that I used to drag race and now would like to set up for Autocrossing. anybody else doing this with there A bodies. What size wheels and tires, brakes, and suspension are you using. Thanks Joe

Yes, my son has autocrossed his 67. Most of the time it was with .990 torsion bars and front/rear sway bars, KYB shocks, and home-built rear springs. He now has 1.14" torsion bars, but had very little race time before a spun rod bearing grounded the car.

The brakes were stock small bolt a-body (K-H discs, 10x1-3/4 drums), but now it has stock 73-ish discs and 11x2.5 rear drums. Race wheels are Paulsen 15x10's with used Nascar slicks.

Cuda 06a.jpg

Thanks looks good, How well does he do in CP. It looks like a competitive class. How much cutting on the wheel wells. thanks Joe

Huge cuts in the wheelwells, but the car was already hacked many years ago as it is an old IHRA drag car. The car was always a little behind the serious CP cars, plus we had a series of problems (minor broken parts). It was always fairly competitive overall. The serious CP cars not only have more horsepower out of smaller engines, they are also not street cars.

Have'nt seen much about autocrossing A bodies. I have a 68 Formula S that I used to drag race and now would like to set up for Autocrossing. anybody else doing this with there A bodies. What size wheels and tires, brakes, and suspension are you using. Thanks Joe
.990 torsion bars, superstock springs with front hanger set 1"lowered, improved shackles w/poly bushings, Mopar front and rear swaybars, Moog offset upper control arm bushings, kyb shocks, shaved poly strut rod bushings,15x8 and 17x8 Ansen sprint wheels.
10-09-2005---1234.jpg

P9100043-vi.jpg

PA150039-vi.jpg

10-09-2005---1234.jpg

10-09-2005---1234.jpg

P9100043-vi.jpg

P9100043-vi.jpg

PA150039-vi.jpg

PA150039-vi.jpg

hey demonduster. what is the reason for shaved poly strut rod bushings?

You shave the inner strut rod bushing because it is thicker than stock. The thicker it is, the more the lower ball joint is pushed back. The more the LBJ is pushed back, the less caster you can get.

Here's pic of the shaved poly Energy (Prothane same dim.) they or I are referencing to. Notice the original mopar had one big and one small bushing.

strutbushingtypes.jpg

There are two type of LCA bushing pins. Only one works with polys

LwrBshStrt.jpg

cheap, effective, light way to reinforce lower control arms. Also shows the difference between the 63?-72 sway bar LCA compared to the 73-76 LCA.

LwrCntls.jpg

First try to find out if there is a class you want to fit into.

Some people want to build their cars their own way and don't really fit into a class well. So, you can just go out and have fun and not mind what class you go in. Just run against you own personal times. Up to you. But you should do a little homework first.

Jim Lusk's son runs SCCA Solo II C-Prepared. Built to the max of the rules the CP car will not be streetable very much with cage, no interior, windows, 12" slicks, slammed to the ground etc. Stock suspension frame attachment points, after that anything goes except for IRS. under 305CID has a max weight, over 305 has like around 200lbs more weight.

Many people run their street car in CP that fall into the CP rules. If you went to a Solo II Nationals, most all the CP's won't be streetable. But at the local level things aren't as intense (depending on the local competition in that particular class).

I run in SCCA Solo II E-Street Prepared. This class is for bolt on mods. No subframe connectors, No weld in stuff except for 6?pt safety cage (not many cars run them). Long block must remain stock, but can run FI, any intake, any headers. Stock factory brakes offered in that car line/body type over specific years. Any shock, spring, or sway bar that bolts in is legal too.

There is a Street Mod class you could fit into also. That's between Street Prepared and Prepared. Check the "SCCA Solo II rule book" that is online.

-
Back