Automatic Brakes Will Be in All Cars by 2022:

-

krazykuda

FABO Gold Member
How-To Section Editor
Reaction score
Here it comes...

The first stage in self driving cars. I don't like not being in control of my own car...

Pretty soon automakers are going to be required to make self-driving cars and we won't have any control anymore...

Automatic Brakes Will Be in All Cars by 2022: What to Know About the New Standards

Automatic emergency braking will no longer be a high-tech option in pricey cars. In six years, the feature will be standard in all new cars, auto makers and regulators announced today.

Twenty auto makers representing more than 99 percent of the U.S. car market announced with the U.S. Department of Transportation their commitment to making it a standard feature by Sept. 1, 2022.

Google Executive Admits Self-Driving Technology ‘Will Never Be Perfect’

This follows the requirement announced by the DOT in 2014 that backup cameras will be required in all vehicles built in and after May 2018.

Akshay Anand, analyst at Kelley Blue Book, said, "This auto-braking agreement should include even more automakers in short order, as every automaker has the technology. As we barrel towards autonomous driving, the agreement makes total sense. Expect more technology features to become industry-standard going forward.”

Here's what you need to know about the commitment and the car feature:

1. What is automatic emergency braking?

Automatic emergency braking can help prevent car crashes or reduce their severity by applying brakes for the driver. The system uses sensors such as radar, cameras or lasers to detect an imminent crash, warning the driver and applying the brakes if the driver doesn't respond quickly enough.

2. Which cars are affected?

The agreement announced today affects nearly all light-duty cars and trucks with a weight of 8,500 pounds or less by Sept. 1, 2022. The deadline extends three years later for trucks weighing between 8,501 pounds and 10,000 pounds.

3. How does this affect car safety?

This agreement will expedite automatic emergency braking standards three years faster than what the formal regulatory process could have accomplished, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates. In that time, the technology will have prevented 28,000 crashes and 12,000 injuries, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety estimates. The technology would reduce rear-end crashes by 40 percent, IIHS research shows.

The systems must meet the NHTSA's five-star safety ratings program on the timing of driver alerts. The baseline performance measures are a speed reduction of at least 10 mph in either 12 or 25 mph tests, or a speed reduction of 5 mph in both of the tests.

4. Will the cost of cars increase?

Every time a new safety technology becomes standard on modern cars it adds to the costs of production, Karl Brauer, senior analyst for Kelley Blue Book, told ABC News.

"Each of these technologies is relatively small in expense, usually only a few hundred dollars, but in aggregate they can result in a substantial portion of a car's price, especially for lower-priced models," Brauer said. "The rising cost of modern cars is driven by many factors, and this is definitely one of them.”

https://gma.yahoo.com/automatic-bra...rds-174116545--abc-news-personal-finance.html

Yes and cars WITHOUT will be banned.

So if I rear-end somebody, will the car company be ticketed/sued? Obviously, it won't be the drivers fault.........

Oh thank God....government regulations are again saving us from ourselves.....PUKE!

So if I rear-end somebody, will the car company be ticketed/sued? Obviously, it won't be the drivers fault.........

That's what I'm wondering about when cars drive themselves...

Why should we have to pay car insurance if we are no longer in control if it???

Can I sleep on my way to work? then can I drink and drive, after all, I am no longer responsible for the control of the car...

When you are waiting to turn, the grid will make a space for your car to slip in and nobody will 'road rage' you out of it....

Thieves can't use a get away car, because the government will be in in control of it who can just shut it down and have the cops surround you while trying to escape... Then they would have to run by foot, and or use some kind of self controlled transportation...

The government will know where you are and track you whenever you are travelling in your car... More info for the NSA database....

But most importantly, What will do with our cars (old classic)? Ban them so they will only be museum pieces?

....I don't like not being in control of my own car...

That says it all.

Someday, the car "software" will screw something up, and one of these will cause a big huge accident. It will make the Ford Exploder / Tires and the GM ignition switch recalls look like penny candy

This reminds me of when they were talking about genetically changing the fish so they would bite more so sport fishing would be more profitable.

Yea, make the fish dumber instead of the fisherman having to be smart enough to catch them, duh.

Well, I believe a self driving car already caused a collision recently, which means they are
sure to step up when the forced implementation will happen!! We already have "smart cruise"
which I have personally experienced the downside of already. Think getting ready to pull out
and pass as soon as the guy in the hammer lane goes by as that happens and you start to
move over the freakin' car slows way down all of a sudden, and the next guy in the hammer
lane is sayin' "WTF!!!", it happened and yes You may get use to killin' the cruise in that sit-
uation, but what about when you can't kill this crap!!??
Gee, I wonder if the popo are gonna have a special kill switch so they can ram perps?? I
suppose if some goons off their meds and on the crank cut me off and try to use me for some
target practice, instead of hitting them and making an escape down an alley, garbage cans
flying, I'll simply slow down and stop for them so they can get a good shot. Or they'll find me
in the alley, parked in front of some garbage..........
I'm sure My loved ones will take comfort knowing the killers did not suffer any whiplash,
and that they won't have to pay any littering fines...... oh, it's a perfect world, forgot that.

We are from the government and we are here to save you from yourself because you are just too damn stupid to live on your own. Oh, and by the way, we're going to confiscate your kids and put them in foster homes because you said a dirty word and spanked them.

Some of the Escalades we build have plenty of fly by wire controls, FLR, seats that vibrate to warn you etc etc, hell just On Star scares me, you could be driving down the road and all of a sudden the Goverment freaks out (more so than usual) and takes control of your car, locking the doors and driving you to a FEMA camp to await your micro chip implantation, execution if you object !!!

Its coming !!

Just another step in removing responsibility from people! I can see it now the "It wasn't my fault I ran over those kids at the bus stop, My automatic braking system failed!" The lawyers are licking their chops.

Just more BS to add to an automobile. My wifes 2012 grand carsvan other than changing brakes and doing the oil changes on it i dont have a clue. Its got a funky transponder key, dont look like a normal key. Etc. I will stick with my old stuff. Its easy to work on, most times without a repair manual.

Just another way to prevent us from messing with "their cars"

They can't outlaw older models without them. It's no different from being able to use hand signals in your original Dodge Brothers coupe or having seat belts in your '65 Dart in years past when major regulation came into play. Both of those instances the older technology was grandfathered in. But what it does mean is the older cars will be charged a premium in terms of insurance for the pleasure of driving them. Lucky for me I'll be dead or close to it by the time I can afford a 25year old 2022 model.

In some cases, simply braking will not avoid an accident.
I have avoided more than a few by steering away from contact and not to worry about getting rearended........ Just a thought.

"car brakes by itself, prevents accident, BUT the friggin airbag ( worked or didn't work????) killed the poor fool! " headline???????

Stopping on an interstate can be a very bad idea. It might be better to hit some debris or a small animal rather than stopping in front of a big truck or other fast moving densely packed traffic. If it's a car jacker standing in front of you, it would be nice to keep the option of running over him (while ducking).

-
Back