Automatic shifter knob attach cable question

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I have 2 stock automatic floor shifter mechanisms. Whats wierd is when they are both in park, one has a cable that sticks up more than the other. Was this because of different years using different shifter buttons. See pic below of what i have.

20180308_204316.jpg

Different years and models use different lengths of cables on those type of shifters. One may also be partially unscrewing for the bottom of the pawl. That cable unscrews from both ends

I can use either the chrome or wood style buttton/knob on my 69.

Not sure about the stalk lengths from the years but assumed they where the same.

I can use either the chrome or wood style buttton/knob on my 69.

Not sure about the stalk lengths from the years but assumed they where the same.

Early 69 used a Chrome knob from the factory and mid to late 69 & up used wood grain knob and is verified in the parts book. All these types of shifters no matter what body style or year from 66 to 76 (where used) except E-body can use a wood grain or chrome knob all the buttons have the same threads. Yes the cables do have different lengths or i would not have mentioned it, i have 3 different factory lengths here for this type of shifter The cables need to be different lengths because some of the shifters have different heights and bends requiring different length cables.

Early 69 used a Chrome knob from the factory and mid to late 69 & up used wood grain knob and is verified in the parts book. All these types of shifters no matter what body style or year from 66 to 76 (where used) except E-body can use a wood grain or chrome knob all the buttons have the same threads. Yes the cables do have different lengths or i would not have mentioned it, i have 3 different factory lengths here for this type of shifter The cables need to be different lengths because some of the shifters have different heights and bends requiring different length cables.

So are you saying the cable is different depending on knob style? Or different to production years?

So are you saying the cable is different depending on knob style? Or different to production years?
The cable is different lengths depending on year and body style not by the knob, as i mentioned the knob and cable threads are the same for Chrome or woodgrain knobs

The cable is different lengths depending on year and body style not by the knob, as i mentioned the knob and cable threads are the same for Chrome or woodgrain knobs

Ok thought we were talking same A-body style. Either knob works on my 69. Thought that style shifter was only A-body. Obvisously one of the stalks is different based on the pics.

Both sticks are identical in length and shape i only posted the cable part thats sticking out. I was able to thread it in a little further on the one sticking way out.

Both sticks are identical in length and shape i only posted the cable part thats sticking out. I was able to thread it in a little further on the one sticking way out.

Matt,
The 2 pics you posted first, seem to have a bit of difference in the collar length at the top of the shaft. May be an optical illusion. I can assure that either knob works on my original 69 stalk.

Last edited:
-
Back