Automatic to manual conversion.

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
I love manual transmissions i like controlling my rpms and shifting when and where i want my everyday driver is a manual and refuse to buy an automatic truck. That being said i really want to put a manual in my dart. My engine is a 360 la what all transmissions will work what is the easiest and cheapest to find i dont care if its period correct it can be a 5 speed that's fine 3 4 or 5 dont matter to me. I was thinking like maybe a 5 speed out of a early dakota those are dime a dozen. What all will work and what all do I need to do the conversion? What kind of mess am in getting into? Also what do you guys do for pedals? Will i have to find an original set of pedals or can i fabricate something from the donor vehicle? Thanks

Some will complain that it can't handle power but I went this route:

t5 trans swap?
70 Duster T5 Swap
4-speed conversion 67 Coronet

Damn happy with the swap! If it blows up I can stick an upgraded Astro gear set in there, or go TKO 600. Same bellhousing, same mounting dimensions, lots of fun!
That opens up alot of possibilities i didnt think of a t5 my neighbor as a junk s10 im pretty sure it has a 5 speed in it. What bellhousing would I have to use with a s10 t5 to fit a sbm?

Personally, I would stay with the 4 speed, unless you want to spend money, which you said you would like to stay budget friendly. Passon Performance has an overdrive gear set that looks awesome, but I haven’t found any one who has used one so no real info on how they like it. If you don’t mind the gap in the gear ratio, the overdrive 4 speed is a great alternative to the pricey standard 4 speeds. I have been building 4 speeds for years and from experience I would recommend a cast iron cased OD if you go that route they only made them a couple years, but the iron case is the way to go. I actually have one on the stand I’m building right now that will be available soon. As far as pedals, there pricey, but I don’t know of any alternative to factory pedals. This is a 4 speed I just finished. If you’re interested in the OD trans I have message me we can discuss price

Jeff

887AE081-BA93-4BA3-85DC-C219407E5CA6.jpeg

4770CDFE-62B8-46FA-BFE5-6CE02C87F579.jpeg

81F06745-4707-436F-AD4D-0F9983AEAC92.jpeg

F5B19C89-C082-49FC-B605-5C214324167D.jpeg

360s can put out a lotta torque, and torque busts stuff.
The budget way is an A833. These are practically indestructible to a 360
The best way,IMO, is a 5-speed. This lets you run a performance rear gear, which allows your engine to spool up faster, and hopefully your zero to 60 can be much improved; all while maintaining hiway driveability.
And the worst for performance,IMO again, is the Mopar od box; for two reasons. Firstly, the splits are engineered for a low performance low-rpm engine, and Secondly, the od gears are weak and if you forget that you are really shifting a 3+1 then zing! .. there goes another one.I've been shifting A833s for so many decades, I found the transition to 3+1 extremely difficult; so after I blew up the third one,I realized my limitation,lol,and got something else.
My favorite is the Commando box with the 3.09 low in it, which lets me run 3.55s on the hiway; yet it takes off like it had 4.10s.
If I had money tho, I'd get a 5-speed. A big freaking HD one, cuz I'm done stocking spares and replacement parts.

As to the aluminum cases, I bushed the front cluster-pin hole and had no trouble with it

360s can put out a lotta torque, and torque busts stuff.
The budget way is an A833. These are practically indestructible to a 360
The best way,IMO, is a 5-speed. This lets you run a performance rear gear, which allows your engine to spool up faster, and hopefully your zero to 60 can be much improved; all while maintaining hiway driveability.
And the worst for performance,IMO again, is the Mopar od box; for two reasons. Firstly, the splits are engineered for a low performance low-rpm engine, and Secondly, the od gears are weak and if you forget that you are really shifting a 3+1 then zing! .. there goes another one.I've been shifting A833s for so many decades, I found the transition to 3+1 extremely difficult; so after I blew up the third one,I realized my limitation,lol,and got something else.
My favorite is the Commando box with the 3.09 low in it, which lets me run 3.55s on the hiway; yet it takes off like it had 4.10s.
If I had money tho, I'd get a 5-speed. A big freaking HD one, cuz I'm done stocking spares and replacement parts.

As to the aluminum cases, I bushed the front cluster-pin hole and had no trouble with it
Yea i think a 5 speed would be a good fit for my combo because i have that 3.73 ford 8.8 rearend that would really appreciate a 5th gear on the interstate. Are the 80s-90s 3.9/318 5speeds any count?
Personally, I would stay with the 4 speed, unless you want to spend money, which you said you would like to stay budget friendly. Passon Performance has an overdrive gear set that looks awesome, but I haven’t found any one who has used one so no real info on how they like it. If you don’t mind the gap in the gear ratio, the overdrive 4 speed is a great alternative to the pricey standard 4 speeds. I have been building 4 speeds for years and from experience I would recommend a cast iron cased OD if you go that route they only made them a couple years, but the iron case is the way to go. I actually have one on the stand I’m building right now that will be available soon. As far as pedals, there pricey, but I don’t know of any alternative to factory pedals. This is a 4 speed I just finished. If you’re interested in the OD trans I have message me we can discuss price

Jeff

View attachment 1715286199

View attachment 1715286200

View attachment 1715286201

View attachment 1715286202
Thank you for your help yea budget is number one priority and availability also. Id like to find something i can find close to me in a junkyard or maybe parked in a nearby field i could pull it. I will keep an eye out for pedals.

Last one I did I used a wilwood pedal set. Bolt in and go. Easy as pie and the hydraulic clutch was nice to have as well.

Personally, I would stay with the 4 speed, unless you want to spend money, which you said you would like to stay budget friendly. "

Jeff

You ain't gotta lie to kick it. MOST manual swap into these cars start at $2500-3500. Thanks to everyone with an 833 thinking they are gold, especially rebuilt. I'm sure you don't give yours away either.

Last edited:
Good to know I will look into that

Definetly, please do your research. Your swap and how much it costs in time, busted knuckles and money will come out better because of it. I have a .txt that I keep that has what I've found on the subject I can shoot over to you if you'd like. PM me if your interested.

Last edited:
360 will bust the Dakota 5 speed asap! Put a mopar four speed by the correct balanced flywheel you won't regret it.

I did my swap under 500.00 on both a bodies just know what your looking for a be patient. That's for the mopar a833 4 speed. I have bought used 4 speeds for 200 bucks and they all have worked out great they are as tuff as they get! My dart has had two slant sixes infront of the 833 thing probably got 500000k on it.

If I were doing a manual trans swap you can bet your *** I'd be putting an OD or double OD tranny in whatever I was building and there are plenty that will take the HP level you will be putting out

You ain't gotta lie to kick it. MOST manual swap into these cars start at $2500-3500. Thanks to everyone with an 833 thinking they are gold, especially rebuilt. I'm sure you don't give yours away either.

I sell my complete rebuild standard 4 speed's for about $1200, the last cast iron OD trans I had I sold for $600, and that was completely fresh all new bearings seals sync keys springs and brass. The only reason I prefer the A833, is because you don't have to butcher your car up to install them.

What about a four speed out of a s10? I found one i may be able to get cheap is this doable?

I did my swap under 500.00 on both a bodies just know what your looking for a be patient. That's for the mopar a833 4 speed. I have bought used 4 speeds for 200 bucks and they all have worked out great they are as tuff as they get! My dart has had two slant sixes infront of the 833 thing probably got 500000k on it.
With a 833 what is the final gear? What kinda rpms im i looking at with a 3.73 rear gear on the interstate at 70mph?

If I were doing a manual trans swap you can bet your *** I'd be putting an OD or double OD tranny in whatever I was building and there are plenty that will take the HP level you will be putting out
By overdrive you mean 5speed?

Jeff

View attachment 1715286199

View attachment 1715286200

View attachment 1715286201

View attachment 1715286202
Thank you jeff. Do you sell these outright or is this a rebuild service? Do I need a core ?

I thought i read on one of those threads that the s10 shifter location was favorable? Maybe that was just vs the camero/transam t5s cause they are on the far end of the tailshaft. Would the s10 work for now if i could get it cheap? And then upgrade later?
Also could i use a standard small block la bellhousing and just drill it to fit whatever transmission i use? That sbm to t5 kit is stupid expensive. Idk how those guys sleep at night. 700 bucks for a piece of stamped steel it cost them 35 bucks to make lol

You'd be cool if you can get a mustang input shaft and tailshaft, so you can cut the hole in the right spot. I agree on the belhousing, it's pretty lame price-wise, though the easiest way in and you can use them for the TKO 600, they also align well historically without those hobosexual adjustable dowel pins. :rolleyes:

Peep this:

Potentially Huge T5 Breakthrough!

Otherwise your best bet would be to have an adapter ring made up at a machine shop.

Last edited:
-
Back