Automatic to manual swap

-

Dpainter89

Reaction score
I have a 360 that came out of a 1990 ram charger with an automatic trans and want to put it in my 1990 w150 with a 4 speed manual but the pilot bushing does not fit in the hole in the crank. Are the cranks different auto to Manual? What's the best way to go about getting this problem fixed

Yes, most cranks for later cars with automatics don't have the crank properly machined for a standard pilot bushing.

I'm sure someone will chime in here with a specific part number for a bushing that will solve this problem.

Last edited:
The bushing is solid bronze my first though as to mill the bushing o fit but wasnt too sure if that would affect anything on how everything would perform

The larger one is similar to what some of call a "jeep style" and it fits the converter bore. That is the route you want BUT BUT BUT check that the pilot hole is DEEP enough. You don't need to "precision" drill it (deeper) if you are using the big bore bushing. Just pick a drill that is larger than the pilot to clearance it, and smaller than the bore, and carefully drill it down. Check your measurements.

If it's bored at all, "feel lucky." My 01 5.9 Magnum is not drilled at all!!!!

The larger one is similar to what some of call a "jeep style" and it fits the converter bore. That is the route you want BUT BUT BUT check that the pilot hole is DEEP enough. You don't need to "precision" drill it (deeper) if you are using the big bore bushing. Just pick a drill that is larger than the pilot to clearance it, and smaller than the bore, and carefully drill it down. Check your measurements.

If it's bored at all, "feel lucky." My 01 5.9 Magnum is not drilled at all!!!!
It is already drilled and i have a spare 4 speed trans that I bolted to the motor and it all works fine so it is drilled deep enough the only problem is the pilot bushing wont fit.

Seems to me that I read somewhere that someone (I know,... pretty specific huh?!?) offered a pilot bushing with a smaller outside diameter to fit crankshafts that were not drilled to the full diameter. Seems to me that I read that NAPA carried them, but I could be wrong. I would suggest to do some searches under "Pilot Bushing" on here and see if anything comes up.

Might try over on forbbodiesonly too, since I frequent both and don't remember which one I saw it on.

That might just be what I need. I am going to order one and see if it works. Thanks for the help
It's my opinion that these undersize bushings are a bad idea. The hole is rough drilled, and not finished. Drilled holes do not stay on center and can wander. I have machined many cranks to fit a stock bushing. If you indicate the flywheel register, then the rough drilled hole they are never on the same center. Have seen them off as much as .010". So fitting a bushing to that hole is no different than having the bellhousing bore off location.

The bushing is solid bronze my first though as to mill the bushing o fit but wasnt too sure if that would affect anything on how everything would perform
I turned down a bushing in my lathe to fit the hole in a 318 I used in my 65 Barracuda years ago.The 318 was from an automatic duster. It worked fine and I used it for over 10 years until I sold the car and it was still good then.I just used a stock bushing and made it a little thinner on the outside.

-
Back