Automatic transmission temperature sensor the master debate...

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding the 727 for my Power Wagon and would like a automatic transmission temperature sensor...
I have a brand new pan and can put the sensor in the pan but I just see the potential for leaking. Also I don't really want the wires and stuff coming off the pan itself if I don't have to.. I was thinking of a inline temperature sensor on the outgoing line to the cooler? I realize the pan would be more of a neutral temperature but the one coming out of the torque converter would be the peak temperature. If I was rich I would think about putting one coming out and one going in also seeing how efficient my cooling system would be along with just taking the averages what would probably be in the pan?...
Any experience would be appreciated...

Been thinking the same, i also thought about an inline adapter in the trans line for an electric sensor. Will be interested to see what others say. Im also curious to know if a sensor mounted touching the pan would read correctly if it wasnt submerged in fluid ??

I’ve got the bung welded onto my pan with the sensor in place. It’s been there a few years with zero leaks but I have not wired it yet.

I used a B&M trans gauge that had a Tee fitting in the trans line, I used the out going line to the cooler and my trans ran a cool 175 F most all the time with a 4200 stall turbo action converter. Did not use rad cooler just a large cooler in front of the rad.

Put it on the out going line to the radiator near the radiator where you can see it and get to it easy. You will also be able too soot it with a infrared digital thermometer to see if its accurate.

Street cars using an external cooler should be run through the radiator first, then to the cooler and then back to the trans. It is more efficient to bring the fluid to radiator coolant temperature. The fluid will then cool more going through the cooler.

Put it on the out going line to the radiator near the radiator where you can see it and get to it easy. You will also be able too soot it with a infrared digital thermometer to see if its accurate.

Street cars using an external cooler should be run through the radiator first, then to the cooler and then back to the trans. It is more efficient to bring the fluid to radiator coolant temperature. The fluid will then cool more going through the cooler.

I don’t know of a single converter company that will tell you to use the radiator cooler. It doesn’t make sense.

I went overkill and installed an ac condensor for a cooler, i have a valve to divert it to the radiator cooler only if the temps too low. The converter is a little loose (3500) and i will be probably be doing some light towing occasionally.

Is there any reason you cannot adapt a temp sensor to the dipstick? Just drill a hole in the cap for the wires and attach the sensor to the bottom of the dipstick. The sensors themselves are small. They screw in with 1/8" NPT threads. As long as the bottom of the sensor is in fluid, you got a signal.

I don’t know of a single converter company that will tell you to use the radiator cooler. It doesn’t make sense.
I found out the hard way about a cooler, in 1976 i put a Vega converter in my Turbo 350, no extra cooler, smoked the transmisioan in a week.

The 2nd gen rams had an issue with transmissions running too cold,the solution was to put a sensor in the line to keep them from shifting into OD until transmission warmed up. But that is a winter thing. Just mentioning it because they didnt use a sensor in the pan.

in a 4wd my preference would be in the line,something less to smash off in the bush.

All the dodge diesels had a water cooler before the air cooler. Wonder why?

This isn’t a diesel forum. Again, with a performance converter running the fluid through the radiator isn’t good. I’m not going to explain it further, but a quick phone call to any converter company will help you understand.

This isn’t a diesel forum. Again, with a performance converter running the fluid through the radiator isn’t good. I’m not going to explain it further, but a quick phone call to any converter company will help you understand.

I bought my 9.5" converter from PTC and specifically asked them if I needed a cooler. They recommend a cooler on all street cars running their converter.

I'm rebuilding the 727 for my Power Wagon and would like a automatic transmission temperature sensor...
I have a brand new pan and can put the sensor in the pan but I just see the potential for leaking. Also I don't really want the wires and stuff coming off the pan itself if I don't have to.. I was thinking of a inline temperature sensor on the outgoing line to the cooler? I realize the pan would be more of a neutral temperature but the one coming out of the torque converter would be the peak temperature. If I was rich I would think about putting one coming out and one going in also seeing how efficient my cooling system would be along with just taking the averages what would probably be in the pan?...
What kind of pan?

Are there not available capillary type gauges. These don't use a wire
But a type of tube.

-
Back