Autometer Cobalt Duster cluster conversion

-

tnts72

Reaction score
So I found a good deal on a set of cobalts on eBay. Had to pick up the tach and the voltmeter to complete the set along with the little led indicators... I know they make the aftermarket plates, but I am pretty happy with this setup...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 628
Ready for installation

Attachments

• image.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 522
So the whole metal housing and electrical board behind the original cluster goes away, and you cut out the face to fit the new gauge layout?

Yessir, I actually still have all the factory gauges / lenses / etc... New faceplate and I could rebuild the original cluster

You Hacked a Woodgrain Bezel THAT sweet to put aftermarket gauges in?
:wack:

I searched high/low for a woodgrain instrument bezel that wasnt cracked on the lower left side...and that had decent woodgrain, and a clear speedo lense.

I know of about 993,000 cracked, peeling, foggy speedo lense cluster bezels out there!

Looks nice I suppose though..O:)..Visual appeal, and better function is worth more than Stock when done properly.

Yeah, I don't like hacking up original stuff. Given the function of the original setup I prefer having trustworthy gauges telling me what's going on. Just personal preference really, and I found a good deal on the autometers. Have an extra cobalt engine oil temperature gauge if anyone is looking for one!

Here is what it looks like installed. Fuel gauge has to go back to autometer, but that's the easiest one to remove.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 472
There's a place in town I'm hoping will be able to help me take a 3d scan of the plastic housing then print (3d) an altered version it (smooth face). That way, I don't destroy the original and I can cut holes to fit whatever gauges/layout I want.

I'd like to keep the rectangular speedo for nostalgic sake of the car, but it doesn't work, I can't find a replacement (or even a decent aftermarket square one), and the mph doesn't go high enough. :p

If you find someone with a rapid prototyping machine they may be able to make you a panel... Will probably have more $$ in resin than buying one of the aftermarket $200 ones though.

3D printing has become somewhat cheaper now. How much cheaper, I'm not sure. I do some CAD work myself, so I may be able to design it myself then just say here, print this.
The issue I have with the aftermarket ones is they're already laid out and I have other ideas in mind.

Boy those Gauges look great. Now put a Tuff steering Wheel on there!

3D printing has become somewhat cheaper now. How much cheaper, I'm not sure. I do some CAD work myself, so I may be able to design it myself then just say here, print this.
The issue I have with the aftermarket ones is they're already laid out and I have other ideas in mind.

That was my issue as well, I wasnt terribly concerened with the position of the tach / speedo vs the column location and I wanted to keep the fuel gauge on the right hand side since its the least visible location... Keeping the original wiper and lights switches was also a requirement. The little led indicators turned out really well - now the dash has a blue indicator for brights rather than the factory red one.

Still not sure if I will hook up the fasten seat belt indicator light or not ( installed one red led for it) the wiring is all there in the car, but I have not removed the old pressure switches from the original bench as I doubt they would work under the new seats...

Attachments

• image (5).jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_9453.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 295
-
Back