Autozone

-
There is a guy at my AZ that is as knowledgeable (SP?) as anyone I've ever talked to across the counter. He's Asian, about 24 and seems to have been a race car driver/builder/hobbyist as he knows everything about imports. Had to get a quart of Lexus grade ATF. I think it was ATF-T? They didnt have it but the guy told me "Oh, I use this other stuff all the time in my LX470 and I never had a problem.." See stuff like that helps alot behind the counter. He was also on top of domestic parts and their idiotic hang ups, like the O-rings on my Pentastar oil cooler. He told me straight up my old one is probably warped and new O-rings are not going to seal it. I think he was right! I ended up buying a new one and the F'r still leaks! Of course the other guys dont know ****.

My local store has had ALOT of turn over, scared me every time I went in and saw new faces from the last time I was in....start all over educating the new people

You need to learn how to say what you really mean/// Don't pussy foot around ....just tell it like it is...........LOL:poke::rofl::rofl:

Well yes!!! I was expounding on my true feelings being very careful to be thoughtful and polite and not use any vulgar language!!!!
Sorta like the time I told my soon to be X boss that my last act for the company would be to get a hold of his lying sorry *** and beat the living chit out of it! PS.. I guess I am not a very good corporate type guy. LOL:poke:

My most recent parts house experience....
I have an autozone, a stones throw from a carquest, and a O'Reilly across the street. Needed a master for a 69 roadrunner, walked into the carquest, and.....
the forty year old guy checked his computer for the number I gave him, walked in the back, and pulled a brand new one, not a rebuilt, off the shelf. I was shocked!
I don't even try AZ or O'R anymore.

The guy I e-mailed early on, asking for start date and time, whom never responded to me, is the regional HR.......been there, done that
I read that. I wrote the head of HR. After 10 seconds of internet searching I found out Richard Thomson is the Director of HR. You can either stop at the regional manager or go over his head. You stated you were terminated. If you want to take it further then the head of HR and your state labor board is the place to go.

I'd have to disagree. O'Reilly backed me into a corner and basically made me leave. Then, the next oldest, and next, until all they have there now are 20 somethings that know nothing. The store manager is not quite my age and thinks the hot air pipe coming off the exhaust manifold going to the air cleaner is a turbo. That's no exaggeration. They're also doing the same to all the rest of the stores in the district.

I certain will not dispute it doesn't happen and that it does indeed continues to happen. That sucks what happened to you and don't agree with it.
I've seen it with the company I work at, there was a guy who was a very senior employee (senior by years with the company) and heading to retirement. He set his date and said I want to be here one more year and they pushed him out. They push out the HR person too who objected to it happening. Senior employees who are up in pay scale get let go because of the the pay scale they are at. If they can replace the $90k a year guy with 6 weeks paid vacation with a $40k guy with 2 weeks paid vacation that's more than $50K profit. I've heard of this across the corporate world. They don't care if they replaced the individual with someone competent either. Its all about the money. Enter the Great Resignation, "here is your 1% pay raise and you should be happy to get it" when inflation and cost of living was more than that.

It is all corporate stupidity.

Our local Zone must have a higher employee turn around than most micky dees.
Of course you always see new quota hires that seem to disappear within a month.
Sad really, you get some good helpful ones and before you know it they`re gone:(
The AZ round here moves people quite often from store to store. Many may not want to work at a different store and quit. I asked about employment awhile back and that is what I was told.
For me AZ O'Reillys and Car Quest are all within 100 yard of each other.

I certain will not dispute it doesn't happen and that it does indeed continues to happen. That sucks what happened to you and don't agree with it.
I've seen it with the company I work at, there was a guy who was a very senior employee (senior by years with the company) and heading to retirement. He set his date and said I want to be here one more year and they pushed him out. They push out the HR person too who objected to it happening. Senior employees who are up in pay scale get let go because of the the pay scale they are at. If they can replace the $90k a year guy with 6 weeks paid vacation with a $40k guy with 2 weeks paid vacation that's more than $50K profit. I've heard of this across the corporate world. They don't care if they replaced the individual with someone competent either. Its all about the money. Enter the Great Resignation, "here is your 1% pay raise and you should be happy to get it" when inflation and cost of living was more than that.
That's exactly what happen to me after 23 years in the Chemical Division of a Pharmaceutical Company except it was called Re engineering (restructuring) and Downsizing.

That process 100% explains why every person working my local AZ is under 22 and knows as much about cars as I do about online celebrities. They're also all so terribly introverted it makes interaction painful.

On the upside, at least they don't have that "I know it all and am a tuning god" complex that they all had 10 years ago - while driving a smoking, fart-can equipped POS that they thought was the pinnacle of racing development.

If I was wanting to work a parts counter again, I'd shoot for the commercial sales slot or look for a NAPA or locally owned auto store. There's a few in my neck of the woods, and that's where all the experienced folks without the superiority complex work. Plus they carry all the stuff a guy with a classic, a tractor, or 1/2 a brain would need to do any regular maintenance on their rigs without relying on 2nd day shipping or shitty drop-shipped electronics that are DOA. Plus they never call my Dart a Nova, or ask if it has a Hemi.
I agree!
I moved to Idaho 2 years ago from Minnesota. I have to ask...do people where you live call it NAPA (as in a word used in the "NAPA know how jingle" or is it N...A...P...A? Cause when I'm at OReillys or AutoZone in my town and they don't have the part, they suggest I go to N...A...P...A every time. I usually walk away with a grin.

Just thought I'd share one of those stories that you just can't make up.

Autozone in my area is hiring, I thought I'd get a part time job, pick up some pocket money, have a reason to get out of the house; retirement is boring.
Went thru the application process twice; got the automated response " Thanks for applying to Autozone bla, bla, bla". Then I get an e-mail that they (Autozone) are having open interviews at a store location near me, please stop in. I go to the interview, it was positive, another e-mail, they want to hire me, and they send me 8 more e-mails with information packets about back ground information, emergency contact, corporate culture, career , history, bla, bla,bla. I read this stuff over, fill in the required information; and then I wait. A week goes buy, I wondering what is going on, no contact from them; so in one e-mail, they listed a person ( Joseph Bartol****) to contact if I have questions, I sent him an e-mail asking about start date and time. This was 2 weeks ago, I still have not heard from him. I go into my local store where I wanted to work, ask the manager what's the story; turns out he is retiring, someone else is taking over the store, and it amounts to something like a Chess game of people moving to different stores/positions; they still could not give me a start date Finally last Thursday I got a start date which is/was TODAY, 4/26
I arrived at the store this morning expecting to go to work and do more "on boarding", I when I got there, I was told I'd been terminated, YESTERDAY, 4/25/2022 because some regional manager could not reach me YESTERDAY, allegedly she called me 3 times to the contact phone number I had provided in my application, they also have my e-mail; though IF she truly called me she did not leave a message on my answering machine; I was home all day yesterday and saw no messages on my machine, no e-mail messages. I've never heard of anyone being terminated before they actually start work

They did say I could re-apply for the job if I wanted; I'm kinda like, why should I. The whole process has been a huge foot dragging event on their part with very poor communication.

Just thought I'd share this with everyone.

Hey at least you got hired. I used to be an instructor for an electric and natural gas utility. I taught several programs but one of them had about 50 lessons. Management was always trying to save money by giving my lesson materials to the local technical colleges. When I moved 1500 miles to my present home, I see a job at a local technical college. Imagine my surprise when I see that the successful candidate would need to teach the same 50 lessons that I authored, and in the same order as my syllabus that I wrote and that the learning objectives were exactly the same! I applied and included my resume. You guessed it. Crickets!

Hey at least you got hired...........

Yea I was hired and fired before I did a days work!!

It sucks though because it was gonna be part time, delivering parts to commercial accounts easy peasy; was within walking distance of my home.

I guess I buy parts from the competition now.

^^^The store mgr.'s nephew probably got the job!

Who knows, who cares.........the whole event paints quite a picture of just who/what Autozone is, behind their facade!
It just blows my mind to be terminated before my first scheduled day of work because some district manager allegedly could not reach me by phone, yet she left no message on my answering machine; I check it often by the way if I've been out working in the yard, in the garage......my opinion is they never called, just made up horse ****!

My favorite part store story is when I'm looking through the aisles at the Baxter's Auto parts our local or at least used to be performance parts store now it's been taken over by carquest and it's crap.. sorry about that small rant, I'm looking through the aisles and this kid comes up obviously new had never seen him before and he says can I help you? I said yes I'm looking for a four and a quarter inch Dingle ball hone??.. he gives me this very surprised look and says I'm I'm new here! And literally turn and ran behind the counter and back into the back room and I never seen him again... And when I say I never seen him again that was the first time I seen him in that store and the last time LOL...

It's beyond my physical and mental ability to not think of this picture every time triple r brings up his O'Reilly days...
:poke:..
Screenshot_20220427-080026.png

Most of these auto parts stores go thru new and young employees like chit thru a goose I bet. Seems like the stores I go to, have several employees that have been there forever and then there is the parade of new ones, that last a day, a week, maybe a month.
Years ago I have worked at places where the new worker started at 7 or 8 AM and by 10 AM he had left, never to be seen again.
Or the time, the new guy started at 7 and by noon, no one had seen him. They sent me to go find him. He was under the turned over tractor...dead as a door nail. Guess maybe he was "inexperienced"?

Autozone in my area is hiring, I thought I'd get a part time job, pick up some pocket money, have a reason to get out of the house; retirement is boring.
Went thru the application process twice; got the automated response " Thanks for applying to Autozone bla, bla, bla". Then I get an e-mail that they (Autozone) are having open interviews at a store location near me, please stop in. I go to the interview, it was positive, another e-mail, they want to hire me, and they send me 8 more e-mails with information packets about back ground information, emergency contact, corporate culture, career , history, bla, bla,bla. I read this stuff over, fill in the required information; and then I wait. A week goes buy, I wondering what is going on, no contact from them; so in one e-mail, they listed a person ( Joseph Bartol****) to contact if I have questions, I sent him an e-mail asking about start date and time. This was 2 weeks ago, I still have not heard from him. I go into my local store where I wanted to work, ask the manager what's the story; turns out he is retiring, someone else is taking over the store, and it amounts to something like a Chess game of people moving to different stores/positions; they still could not give me a start date Finally last Thursday I got a start date which is/was TODAY, 4/26/2022,
I arrived at the store this morning expecting to go to work and do more "on boarding", I when I got there, I was told I'd been terminated, YESTERDAY, 4/25/2022 because some regional manager could not reach me YESTERDAY, allegedly she called me 3 times to the contact phone number I had provided in my application, they also have my e-mail; though IF she truly called me she did not leave a message on my answering machine; I was home all day yesterday and saw no messages on my machine, no e-mail messages. I've never heard of anyone being terminated before they actually start work

They did say I could re-apply for the job if I wanted; I'm kinda like, why should I. The whole process has been a huge foot dragging event on their part with very poor communication.

Just thought I'd share this with everyone.

But yet they will complain because they can’t find help.

I want to thank our member A56 for going above and beyond as a board member, reaching out and assisting another member (me) in this *** ache. He contacted Autozone, supplied me with peoples names, contact numbers, e-mails etc. I spoke with the district manager, she admitted fault was theirs; a computer glitch, I could still have the job, just have to re-apply. I gave it some thought and said no, I have too much of a bad taste in my mouth. I closed the call with "Thank you for the opportunity, good by, click"!

One thing that still bites my *** is the claim of calling 3 times and no messages left on my answering machine.
At this point it is now water over the dam.

Again thanks to A56!!!

Sounds like the movie "Friday".
Craig got fired on his day off.

-
Back