AVS carbs not the same ?

-

Murray

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Am restoring a '68 cuda w/383. Original AFB I got with the car had sat in water and is a questionable rebuild candidate. So when another #4426s carb became available, I bought it. I was a Mopar mechanic in 1968 and worked on many of these cars. So when I examined the two carbs side by side,(both 4426s), there were several differences. Cutting emissions was gaining momentum in 1968 so first thing of note was the idle adjustment screws. On what I believe to be the correct original carb, the idle screws are adjusted at the factory and then sealed over, then adding a third screw just above to allow some small adjustment. We would often drill out the lead plugs and adjust the small screws still inside.The other carb has no such circuitry. The other carb has two standard adjustment screws. These are not the type that had limiter caps attached, as there is no casting for the limiters to strike against. The other odd thing with this carb is the top air horn casting. It is very different, "larger", more like later models, and having the float bowl vent casting in it but not using it, not drilled out.I am perplexed. These are both Carter4426s carbs. Is one for California emissions? What would a show judge say? Help! All opinions welcomed, Murray. Just added a couple of pics. This should help.Dashpot is missing on the new purchase. You can clearly see the differences in the idle screw set-up. While someone changing out the top would explain the differences in the top casting it doesn't explain the differences in the idle circuit. These are both Carter 4426s for a 1968 383 4-sp.Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 100_1986.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_1985.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 67
Maybe someone switched the tops, a lot happens in all the years. 4 speed carbs also have a dashpot

i thought 1968 V8s 4 bbls was AVS. the ones with the flat spot off idle. easy to fix by drilling the idle jet. one 1970 300 440 car i fixed by drilling the idle jet only .001"

-
Back