AX15 trans any good?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Can get this trans cheap, like come and get it...can I adapt this to a 350HP LA with a quicktime type bellhousing? Wonder what the torque limit is, could it take 400 ft/lbs in a 2900 lb car? Jeep 5sp OD trans from the AMC designed L6 motor..Comes with bell if it matters.

I think the AX15 is better than the trans it replaced, but not exactly a performance trans. The gearing may be too truck-like, as far as gear ratios go. I don't have any first hand experience, 'cause my Jeep has a torquflite.

AX-15 was stronger than the AX-5, and will live behind a mild V-8. BUT it is a medium duty TRUCK transmission, and has some pretty non-performance ratios: 3.83, 2.33, 1.44, 1.00, 0.79, for first through fifth, respectively.

It was available in Dakota trucks, so you should be able to adapt it to an LA engine with factory parts (look for a 3.9L V-6, as the 5.2L typically had the NV3550). Obviously you'll want a 2WD trans.

Then there's the hydraulic clutch, shifter location, floor clearance, rear mount, etc...

Thanks! Ill look into the LA version..a few Dakotas in the pick and pull....

-
Back