Axle flange gasket question, 8 3/4

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
Hello. On my 8 & 3/4 rear axle, which gasket goes where? Theres a couple 5 bolt flange gaskets, with a flat on the top. A foam/paper and a steel gasket. Does the foam one go behind the backing plate, and the steel on the front where the bearings are? I converted to the green style bearings with the C-clip retainers....

How I had it before, I had the steel gasket behind the backing plate and the paper gasket behind the axle...Now I have it mostly apart, and I think I have it backwards...LOL. If the steel unit goes in front, is it okay if I leave the existing steel gasket behind the backing plate?

Sorry for such a dummy question..

Yes foam goes between axle and backing plate. Other one goes between backing plate and housing.

Don't reuse the steel gasket. When torqued down it crushes the ring around it to seal.

OKAY...SO...the steel gasket is the inner gasket, BEHIND the backing plate, and seals against the axle flange, the foam is the outer, in FRONT of the backing plate (where the brakes are) and behing the c-clip on the axle, correct?????

-
Back