Axle removal A-body Duster- spider gear removal

-
Reaction score
How do you remove the axles from the differential on a 1970 Duster 7.25 rear end? Inside the case we can't get the round rod past the ring gear to change the spider gear assembly. We thought maybe the axles had to be removed- we also expected to find clips on the end of the axles. We expected we would have to push the axle in to remove the clips then the axle would come out enough to change the spider gear. What are we missing here? Please & thank you. I have a mechanic here helping me. Please tell me or lead me to a source. Joel

I found an earlier thread. Looks like I need an axle puller. Sorry about that. If you have any help to re offer please do.

Never messed with the 7.25 just took them out..sounds like you are on right track..welcome to the site!!

To remove spider gears you need to remove the cross pin holding the spiders and pull the axles so the gears can be rotated out on the axle gears. There should be a small bolt holding in the cross pin, removing this would be your first step.

Your not working on a GM rear end. You must remove the bolt that holds the spider gear cross pin in. Usually you do not need a axel puller to get the axels out, it is not a press fit but maybe the outer bearing race is stuck.

For all to know- MOTIVE premium open spider gear set for Chrysler 7.25 w/25 spline axles & 9"cover- part #C7.25BI- DID fit my rear end casting #2970051. Haven't driven it yet but everything was a perfect fit. You must use the axle remover which is like a huge dent remover- rented from O'Reilly's. Just wanted to be sure I posted this in case some are running the weaker 7.25 rear end. Thanks for all the help. Joel The seller was "drivetrainlasvegas"on Ebay.

For all to know- MOTIVE premium open spider gear set for Chrysler 7.25 w/25 spline axles & 9"cover- part #C7.25BI- DID fit my rear end casting #2970051. Haven't driven it yet but everything was a perfect fit. You must use the axle remover which is like a huge dent remover- rented from O'Reilly's. Just wanted to be sure I posted this in case some are running the weaker 7.25 rear end. Thanks for all the help. Joel The seller was "drivetrainlasvegas"on Ebay.
Can you tell me more on how you did it? or where the earlier thread is? Were you able to do it while it was on the car or does it have to come off??

-
Back