Axle rotation

-

Orange67

Reaction score
Installing a new rear end and super stock springs in a 67 Barracuda. The axle seems to be rotated so its higher in the front than the rear. Shouldn't it be the other way? Did I somehow install the springs backward? It doesn't seem right.

20201017_153731.jpg

20201017_153125.jpg

20201017_153037.jpg

20201017_153054.jpg

Looks way wrong unless the trans is pointing down the same amount (5 degrees more!) off horizontal Is should actually point down a little. Technically it should be about -5 degrees under the output shaft angle of the transmission so when the rear wraps up under load (pinion goes up), the pinion angle equals that of the trans output shaft. If your output shaft is down -3 degrees, your pinion should be down about -2 so when it wraps up under load, it ends up at +3...+3+(-3)=0. Note last part about preload.

super stock springs are more firm than stocker so this -5 may be a little generous.

596726d1501261083-what-pinion-angle-am-i-pics-inside-pinionangle_zps6bb51c82.jpg

QQ4_zRcKOoV2e3ntULJLFNUaIRx80_089xkW7CMjs-op_O3wzuJtz3CLw2O3Zb5s9CuXMsAe4bqc3JEkhj9rpQJevJSpzlKr.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tried the rear end without the lowering blocks? They might be causing your pinion angle to be off.
I'll take a look at that. It's just so much higher than I thought it would be. This pic is with the lowering blocks.

16029729220662194470614680346807.jpg

I'll tell ya something buddy. WHERE did you get those springs? Having high arched springs and then having to use that much lowering block is NO WAY to build a car. OldManMopar pointed this very thing out the other day.....lowering blocks create leverage against the spring, and torque on the axle is going to cause magnified rotation under power.

I'll tell ya something buddy. WHERE did you get those springs? Having high arched springs and then having to use that much lowering block is NO WAY to build a car. OldManMopar pointed this very thing out the other day.....lowering blocks create leverage against the spring, and torque on the axle is going to cause magnified rotation under power.

Yah...I might just get new springs. Seems like they F-ing everything up.

20200923_200618.jpg

Have you tried the rear end without the lowering blocks? They might be causing your pinion angle to be off.
Large lowering blocks can play hell with pinion angles and reaction distances, as well as movement. As the rear wraps up on launch, it can actually move rearwards- the pivot point is actually where it mounts to the spring, so when it tries to rotate it rotates around the axis of the mount; in this case the bottom of the lowering blocks; moving the whole axle housing rearwards. Along with the pinion rotation, this can effectively move your rear u joint backwards several inches. Housing movement can cause havoc with rear tire to wheel well clearance, especially if you factor in tire growth into the mix. Pinion/u joint movement can pull your slip yoke rearward, and if you have a couple inches of movement, I wouldn't trust slip joint engagement- especially if you get ANY amount of wheel hop. And the taller the blocks, the more exagerated the movement is.
You've gotta get that rear end under control to limit movement- snubber/bars whatever.
Ideally get some springs with less arch and dump the lowering blocks.

Well, I see 67Dart273 beat me to the punch- I type too slow... :)

if i'm reading that right, Mancini list that spring# as Fits: 3600 lb. car weight w/Automatic Transmission "E"-body (Barracuda-Challenger). Requires rear shackle relocation on "B"-body cars

whoops, must have been a ***** to get in there

wrong barracuda

Your first pic looks like you've got some frame rust issues to deal with before you go any further, too.

Those springs have got to GO! (Are they both the same number?) And your disc calipers are on the wrong side, as said before. Air in a brake system floats to the top. You will NEVER bleed the air out with the bleeder on the bottom.

Where did you buy the springs and were they a b!tch to install?
I bought them from another guy who had a Barracuda also...I looked up the number and other people seemed to have installed these in A bodies before so I thought it would be OK. Its just not right though and has taken me so much time to fit. It doesn't seem like they are long enough either. The rear shackles aren't at the right angle. Other people have said the springs will relax over time when I show them pics but I don't think so anymore. Anyone have some standard height springs they want to sell? Heh.

-
Back