Axle seal and bearing replacement

-

73Baddart

Reaction score
Hi.....Brand new to this, but have been following on and off for a few years. I am in the process of "fixing" a bunch of the things that have been bothering me for years on my "73 Dart Swinger. I am the original owner, bought it brand new when I was 18. I have since swapped out the original 318 for a 1970 340 motor many years ago and bored it out .20 over, cammed it up, headers, intake, carb and MSD. She runs like a beast, 398 HP on the dyno. The tranny and axle have also been swapped out from a '70 Duster, 727 and a 8 3/4". I seem to have a slight leak by the rear brake/axle area and am looking for a tutorial or "how to guide" on this specific axle for seal and bearing replacement, should it need it as I pull it apart. I have seen a couple of Youtube videos of "general" guidelines but nothing specific to the Chrysler 8 3/4. Most of it looks pretty simple, but having not done it before, I don't want to screw it up AND want to be able to order the correct parts......can anyone offer any direction....thanks a lot!!!!

So, the axle shaft needs to come out. Pretty sure you have to disassemble the rear brakes. The axle is held in by a flange and 5 nuts. You access the nuts with a 9/16" socket on an extension through a hole in the axle flange. Rotate the axle by hand to the 5 positions. Then the axle pulls right out.

The outer seal is in the end of the axle tube. Remove the seal with a puller or slide hammer with a hook on it. The new seal goes right in place but is an interference fit so you need a driver approximately the same diameter. But if you are careful you can tap it in gradually and carefully with a hammer or hunk of wood. If there is no sealer on the OD then you need to add some.

Now is a good time to inspect the bearing that came out with the axle for wear/noise. If it is bad, then replace it. Most likely you will have to take the axle to a shop to have the old one removed and a new one pressed on.

The outer bearing is not lubed by the differential oil but by grease. The seal keeps the oil from escaping the housing and getting on the brakes. Repack the bearing with grease before reassembling. Hopefully there is not a huge groove worn into the axle from the seal.

You should adjust the axle endplay before calling it good. See factory shop manual. Another thing to check is the axle vent that doubles as the bolt holding the brake to the axle tube on the driver side. A clogged vent will lead to a pressurized housing which will increase the likelihood of leakage on the ends.

Best to wear gloves as brake dust mixed with axle lube is very messy.

The axles seals are available in a few places, I order mine from Dr. Diff

I have also removed & installed new axle seals without removing the brake backing plates completely (or attached parts)

Last edited:
-
Back