Axle Shaft Leak

-

Ricks70Duster340

Child of the King
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just had my axles serviced because I had the 8.75 sure grip built with 3.23. While doing so, I had the shop install new axle bearings & seals along with the axle shaft seal. At the same time, I replaced the rear brakes with fresh shoes & hardware. Went to manually adjust my rear brakes today and found the passenger side was leaking diff fluid & ruined the shoes. I went off the road a couple of weeks ago and the car was at an incline where the passenger side was much lower than the driver side. When I originally filled the diff, I filled it to where the fluid was just running out of the filler hole. Wondering if the angle off the road flooded the axle tube and caused the shoes on that side to be contaminated? Some say to only fill the diff to about 1/2" below the filler hole. Don't want to repeat this issue! Thoughts please!

If it's actually stinky diff fluid and not bearing grease then the shop f'd up doing your inner axle seal.

There's a inner seal in the housing (axle tube) and the outer seal is near the bearing. Sounds like you only replaced one.

axle seal.jpg

Then either you installed the inner seal wrong, there's a grove in the axle sealing face.....or they nicked the seal putting the axles back in.

Then either you installed the inner seal wrong, there's a grove in the axle sealing face.....or they nicked the seal putting the axles back in.
When I installed the new axle shaft seal, I installed and bottomed it against the ridge like it is supposed to.

You should be able to park like this and have dry brakes. Your inner seal is leaking for whatever reason. The outer seal doesn’t stop the gear oil.

310D7D35-213A-4FD0-9129-D9451DE30969.jpeg

I'd check the end play adjustment too. If it's way off it will pump oil out the seal and ruin the seal in the process.

Probably a bad seal or installation then. I assume you looked at the seal surface on the axle shaft? I've seen careless machine shops nick that surface in removing/installing the bearings.

Probably a bad seal or installation then. I assume you looked at the seal surface on the axle shaft? I've seen careless machine shops nick that surface in removing/installing the bearings.
I just don't recall what it looked like. I've used this guy before and he has done a terrific job. Guess I'll need to pull the axles and give them a good look.

Or at least that one side that's leaking. You'll want to repack that bearing too.

FYI: I always pack the seal inner(wet) side with grease, to ensure the tension spring doesn't pop out when hammering the seal into its bore.

Can any of you direct me to a part number for the outer seal? Maybe a bearing & retainer as well? (8-3/4) I have the inner seal, but can’t seem to find the outer-seal number & since I apparently need to destroy the bearings in order to replace it, I guess I got my work cut out for me.

Can any of you direct me to a part number for the outer seal? Maybe a bearing & retainer as well? (8-3/4) I have the inner seal, but can’t seem to find the outer-seal number & since I apparently need to destroy the bearings in order to replace it, I guess I got my work cut out for me.
I don't have the link but check out Dr. Diff's website. He will have everything you will need.

Thanks, though I was hoping for numbers that I might find locally so as to get something done tonight/tomorrow. Probably not available off the shelf anymore anyway.

its grease, inner seal is ok, outer one is kinda loose feeling with the retainer also

Gaskets, Seals
Position Chrysler National C/R Fel-Pro
--------------- -------- -------- -------- --------
Axle inner seal 4796698 8695S 15460 ---
Axle outer seal 2404216 8704S 19000 ---
Axle flange, foam 2070933 see flange kit see flange kit 55032
Axle flange, shim 2881314 see flange kit see flange kit ---
Carrier gasket 1673367 --- --- RDS 65833
Pinion seal, 1-7/8 2931862 5126 18708 ---
Pinion seal, 1-3/4 2931862 7216 18912 ---
Pinion seal, 1-3/8 2931862 8515N 18708 ---
Yoke repair sleeve --- 99187 99187

Gaskets, Seals
Position Chrysler National C/R Fel-Pro
--------------- -------- -------- -------- --------
Axle inner seal 4796698 8695S 15460 ---
Axle outer seal 2404216 8704S 19000 ---
Axle flange, foam 2070933 see flange kit see flange kit 55032
Axle flange, shim 2881314 see flange kit see flange kit ---
Carrier gasket 1673367 --- --- RDS 65833
Pinion seal, 1-7/8 2931862 5126 18708 ---
Pinion seal, 1-3/4 2931862 7216 18912 ---
Pinion seal, 1-3/8 2931862 8515N 18708 ---
Yoke repair sleeve --- 99187 99187
And Car Nut Kills it Again! Boom!

I don't have the link but check out Dr. Diff's website. He will have everything you will need.
Dr Diff provides good service and info and parts, but the inner axel seals that he sells is not in the ‘good part’ category.
The inner axel seals that Dr Diff has on his web page are the exact same bottom shelf Duralast 8.75 inner axel seal that AutoZone sells.
The inner axel seal that you want has the National Seal brand.
In a side by side comparison the Dr Diff = Autozone Duralast inner axel seals were 1/3 lighter, about 1 ounce while the National brand inner axel seal is 1.5 ounce. The Dr Diff = Autozone Duralast inner axel seals are made with much thinner metal. The thinner metal can deflect and bend upon installation.
The photo below has the Dr Diff = Autozone Duralast inner axel seals on the left, that easily bent upon installation and the National brand inner axel seals on the right that installed without issue.
B0C4E3A1-97CE-4F54-AE2F-207327EFC8D5.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back