B Block Conversion and Power Brakes

-

Boedighw

Reaction score
Planning a major drive train conversion on my 318 '72 Duster after the New Year.

I have settled on the 383 for the conversion, but also have a 440 as well. Currently both are cores that need rebuilt, and I have 440 Source Heads that have already been checked out. Looking at using Schumacher Headers, since I have power steering. Last the heater issue is already dealt with as it was an A/C conversion and the blower motor is inside the cabin.

The issue I'm concerned about is the brake booster. It currently almost hits the 318 valve covers, in fact I couldn't fix a valve cover gasket leak very easily recently.

Do I have to eliminate this and go back to manual? Is Hydroboost an option?

If I went with Hydroboost option, could I upgrade to the 440?

Try an offset master cylinder plate to start with and take it from there.

Used a 400 block which is the same width as your 383. Modified the motor mounts to move the motor over 1.5". I also found original big block exhaust manifolds so I don't know about your headers. Best of luck, you'll be glad you did.

IMG_0779.JPG

Manual disc brakes work just fine in an A body car, especially if you have 15 inch wheels and upgrade to the larger 11.75 rotor.

Manual disc brakes work just fine in an A body car, especially if you have 15 inch wheels and upgrade to the larger 11.75 rotor.

Are you talking about drums or discs? What are the biggest sized front drums that can fit on an A-body?

Doesn't moving the motor over 1.5" cause issues with transmission mounts and driveshaft alignment?

Tranny mounts just fine and the rear deflects more than that in normal travel, U joints have no problem with that. BTW the rear you sold me is still kickin' azz, thanks Rocco!

What about converting to the 8in Power Booster and using a 383 B Block?

Is there enough clearance to lash valves or remove valve covers with stock style? What about the after market style?

Next week I will give Wilwood a call about their master cylinder and just going manual.

Thanks!

Planning a major drive train conversion on my 318 '72 Duster after the New Year.

I have settled on the 383 for the conversion, but also have a 440 as well. Currently both are cores that need rebuilt, and I have 440 Source Heads that have already been checked out. Looking at using Schumacher Headers, since I have power steering. Last the heater issue is already dealt with as it was an A/C conversion and the blower motor is inside the cabin.

The issue I'm concerned about is the brake booster. It currently almost hits the 318 valve covers, in fact I couldn't fix a valve cover gasket leak very easily recently.

Do I have to eliminate this and go back to manual? Is Hydroboost an option?

If I went with Hydroboost option, could I upgrade to the 440?

I have power brakes. I have to unbolt the booster and tie it off to the side to access the valve cover or pull engine. Removing the booster with the master cylinder attached takes about ten minutes.
Its a 72 dart swinger. Car came equipped with power brakes, front discs. Its now
400/451. Schumacher engine mounts. It has a hydraulic flat tappet cam so I am not under the valve covers very often.

20180915_165835~2.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back