B body 4spd in an A body

-

joes68340s

Reaction score
Has anyone done this. I ask as this was done in an A body I got. Not my choice but its done with the shifter handle modded. It works, its not a street car or resto I was planning to correct it but I need it up and running for now. So has anyone else done this or had one what do they think.

They made 2 diffent ones,1 with just B body shifter mount and 1 with a B & E mount. Do you know which you have? This is an a body trans

Attachments

• Picture 3311.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 283
I considered it one time. I was going to use a piece of 1/4 inch steel plate to give my shifter the simulation of being in the A body position. Measure to where the a body shifter mounts. drill some holes bolt the steel plate on the trans and then you have a place to bolt your A body shifter. I hope I explained it so you can see the picture. If not I will draw up a blueprint. Lol

I'm not sure if I made it clear. Its a B body trans In a 68 A body No a body tunnel, shifter is forward but the handle has been cut and rewelded to pull back toward the driver. I was going to replace with a proper a body tail shaft and trans tunnel hump but I don't have the down time till after summer. This seems to work ok I was just interested if others had done it.

I've never done it, but it has been done by many others. I'm on my phone so I can't find the link, but go to bigblockdart.com and there is a post in the tech area about it.

like he said. there are 2 b body 4 speeds, the later has 2 mounting points for the shifter, one at tailend (B) and other towards the front ( known as the B/E 4speed 70 and up trans )....
I guess with a fabed tunnel and fabing brackets you can make it work?????!! I guess I would sell this and buy a cheaper a body trans if me.....but i'm lazy!

I just swapped out the mainshaft and extension housing for A-body units. My trans is a 1970 B/E body unit with the larger 308 bearings. Passon performance sells an aluminum extension housing for that application . I would have just used an iron factory one but they never made an A-body length extension housing for the 308 bearing. Not hard to swap the parts out and you can refresh the rest of the trans while you are at it.

When I get the time to have the car down I will do it right with correct sheet metal and trans. I'm aware of the tail shafts. As I said my shifter is mounted on the forward B body location. I was just curious if anyone had done this.

ive done it, i have a b/e tranny in my dart, we made the shifter plate from the dart board and stuck it all in

I have an early 18 spline b body trans in my dart right now as it only has the front shifter mount. It has a home made cross member,linkage w/ the long pistol grip shift handle. Does not fit great but works. When I rebuild trans I'll changing it to the A tail shaft.

-
Back