B body 8 3/4 in an A body

-

ESP47

Reaction score
I'm going to check out what looks to be a 54 1/4" flange to flange B body rear this weekend. The seller told me it'll fit in a later model A body with stock wheels no problem. I'm wanting to put it in a 67 Barracuda. I believe I have a set of 14x6 wheels with 3" backspacing at home but I'll have to measure when I get there. I'll have to find out if the spring perches have been moved yet or not as well. Will this rear fit under my Barracuda without rubbing the quarters? Thanks.

You need to move the perches in 1/2" each side (or was it 1"? Can't remember for sure right this moment) and different backspaced wheels.

If it really is 54 1/4 then its a 65-67 B rear. That's narrower than a lot of the B rears that folks put in Dusters, but its still going to move your wheels out over 3/4" per side. 14x6" is pretty small, but so is a 3" backspace. Typically the B body rear swap is used to allow for modern, high backspace rims (5"-6" backspace). You'll have to take a look at your wheels and see if there's an extra 3/4 to 7/8" of an inch before you get out into the quarters, you may need new rims.

The perches will also be at 44", you'll have to move them in to 43" center to center to make it work.

I agree. I put a later B-body (1969) in my 68 cuda. I moved the perches in 1/2" each side to use the common mustang 17x8 wheels with 5.72" backspace. 245 45 17 tire...pretty sure I could fit a 275/50/17

Thanks guys, I did some measuring tonight and my BBP wheels have 3.5" backspacing. Basically they will fit in there without any room to move. Which is obviously a no go. I think 5" backspacing is what you need if you're going to use the 65-67 B rear on a Barracuda.

Do you guys know what the minimum gap should be between the tire and wheel well?

Thanks guys, I did some measuring tonight and my BBP wheels have 3.5" backspacing. Basically they will fit in there without any room to move. Which is obviously a no go. I think 5" backspacing is what you need if you're going to use the 65-67 B rear on a Barracuda.

Do you guys know what the minimum gap should be between the tire and wheel well?

Theres no real minimum its up to how comfotable you are with how close it is. I would want at least 1/4 inch +, but thats me. If you really get on and the body flexes it will rub. There was a article in the mopar muscle mag a while back and they put a b body rear in a 68 dart and moved perches in and with the right offset it worked great

-
Back