B body oil pan in an A body?

-

batoven

Reaction score
So here's maybe a "dumb" question (no question is supposed to be dumb right?). Anyway... I was given a low mileage 318 out of a 72' Satellite when I answered a for-sale ad on Craigslist for a 904 trans I need for my Slanty to V8 swap in my 71' Swinger ( I have a 71' 340 that's a "work in progress" that'll be going in it...but likely later now I have the 'Teen). My question is will the B-body oil pan fit with the 318 in my Swinger? I eyeballed it since the Slant is still in my car, but it's too tough to eyeball while sliding around on a creeper. No verbal beating needed my friends... a simple yes or no... and as always the help in much appreciated.

Pans are typically known as truck or car.

There in no such thing as A or B specific pans.

318 & 340 the same within the same model year.

360 different.

From the 'just because I can' department, two original 294 oil pans, oily one from a 1970 B & the cleaner one from a 1970 A.

(I do love 318 cars)

294 oil pan 1.JPG

294 oil pan 2.JPG

I know the steering link on the 318 pan I have on my '65 Barracuda Formula S is striking oil pan. Some day I will put a period correct 273 oil pan on there to solve the problem. Just needs a slight indentation in that area.

Thanks! I was always under the impression the pans were specific to body design, but now that I think about it, it wouldn’t make business/financial sense for Ma’ Mopar to have to make different pans for all the different bodies.

I know the steering link on the 318 pan I have on my '65 Barracuda Formula S is striking oil pan. Some day I will put a period correct 273 oil pan on there to solve the problem. Just needs a slight indentation in that area.
Early center links are diff, plus you need a v8 centerlink, they were diff between 6 and v8 cars.

Maybe that's why the 8 or 10 quart pan I used on my '65 Valiant 273 bracket racer (with the tunnel for the center link) rubbed inside the tunnel a little bit. I always wondered about that.

65 Valiant2.jpg

If your 10 quart Meldon pan with the window is hitting you can solve that with some minor changes. I used the straight steering link from a 340 dart and hemi cuda idler and pitman. I had the 4 holes in the steering link welded and machined to run it upside down. I have about an inch of clearance all the time. I’ll post pics later

-
Back