B body small block Bell question.

-

txas2step

Reaction score
I have a small block bell and clutch set up out of a 1966 Belvedere 3/tree. Any possibility it will work with an A833 A body 4 speed I want to mate to a HP 273 that is going in a '65 270 Dart that was originally a 3 tree/slant six car.? I will need the floor hump, shifter/linkage, boot, etc.. Also, will the z bar from the slant six work as is? Helpful input please. Had a heart attack from the Brewer's conversion quote. LOL.

I have a small block bell and clutch set up out of a 1966 Belvedere 3/tree. Any possibility it will work with an A833 A body 4 speed I want to mate to a HP 273 that is going in a '65 270 Dart that was originally a 3 tree/slant six car.? I will need the floor hump, shifter/linkage, boot, etc.. Also, will the z bar from the slant six work as is? Helpful input please. Had a heart attack from the Brewer's conversion quote. LOL.
the Z bar is different between the slant 6 and the V8s. Floor hump wont be bad, you can get re-pops of those relatively cheap. As for the bellhousing, I don't think it will. If I recall right, the bearing retainer on the 833 is much larger than the 3 speed, preventing it from going into the bell housing. Now, forget brewers, those kits are nice and all and are of high quality, but you can piece together that kit for much less. Get the transmission first so you can make sure to get the right size for the bearing retainer, there's 3 different sizes.

Small block mopar bellhousings pop up all the time on here for a couple hundred. The shift linkage for the 833 is going to be different so you'll need that but again, used isn't badly priced. The pedals are the most expensive part but you have those already. The clutch for the 833 is going to be different than the 3 speed.

Last edited:
What model is the three speed? I know the NP A230 used the same 1 X 23 spline input shaft as the NP A833 and on the one I used to have the front bearing retainer was the same diameter as the one of the smaller size input bearing retainers used on the four speed. It was a 3 speed truck transmission. The construction of the 230 was almost a direct descendant of the A833, it was so close that the tailshaft housings would almost interchange. Measure your bell housing front bearing retainer register and compare it to the four speed sizes, the one that I know will not work is the large overdrive four speed bearing retainer, measure your input shaft length if you still have the old three speed. If worse comes to worse, some bells I have seen came with enough material to have the bearing retainer bore machined to a larger size, and advance adapters at one time made spacer rings that can step the bore register down to smaller to a smaller size, if need be.

I........don't.............think.............the 3 speed and 4 speed bell bolt patterns are the same..............Also the 273 used a very small clutch, 9 1/2?? If that matters.

They were the same on the A230 I had, same bolt pattern and bearing retainer as a 71 B/E body four speed, and also same bolt as pattern but not retainer as OD A833. But all bets are off on the earlier ones, measure first and look up the a-833 info page on bigblockdart.com. I think 230 production started in '69 or '70, but it's been a while. It was also the standard base three speed in a 340 duster demon.

They were the same on the A230 I had, same bolt pattern and bearing retainer as a 71 B/E body four speed, and also same bolt as pattern but not retainer as OD A833. But all bets are off on the earlier ones, measure first and look up the a-833 info page on bigblockdart.com. I think 230 production started in '69 or '70, but it's been a while. It was also the standard base three speed in a 340 duster demon.

his bell is a 66... it would not have been the 230. It would have been either the A903 or the 745. and both are a different bolt pattern than a A833. .

HOWEVER, in 1970, the slant 6 and small block bellhousings and even some big block bells, were made with a DUAL bolt pattern, accepting BOTH the 230 and A833. If he has a 66 bell, the A833 will not be the same bolt pattern.

This information can be confirmed in the Chrysler transmission manual...

This bell has the bolt patterns for both A833 and 3 speed. A833 are the uppermost and lowermost holes I believe

001.jpg

This is a 64--66 273 3 speed only bell that was for sale right here

img_20180707_084100483-jpg.jpg

that's a 70-76 bell. See my above post.

My point is that the 3 and 4 speed transmissions have to have their own unique bolt patterns. In other words "if you find one" make sure what it has, etc LOL

Also make sure you don't end up with a pickup/ truck bell which normally use the larger 140X whatever (142?) tooth flywheel

10-4! I was just researching that, some early bells were double pattern, such as this one. The A230 was the only three speed to share the same bolt pattern.

10-4! I was just researching that, some early bells were double pattern, such as this one. The A230 was the only three speed to share the same bolt pattern.
NO early bells were dual pattern. That started in 1970 as an economy move.

I came across some that were early dual bolt 273 or slant six. I'll put the link up on it. But I appreciate the refresher pics and see the error of my ways, I had a dual bolt bellhousing... DOH! Things got fuzzy around the edges there, I apologize. That one was for a 10-1/2 inch clutch, while I also had a cast iron slant six 11 inch clutch HD one in a '73 D-100 (not that it would matter for a car) that had the double bolt as well. I got an light duty aluminum slant six OD one now for 9-1/2 inch clutch that is a single bolt, out of an 85 D-150.

Yeah, the '66 3 spd bell I have is not dual application and different bolt pattern than the a833. Now in search of a a833 bell housing. Thanks for all the input.

dOh, your fine, too many years ago when I had all that around and fighting a fever today didn't help anything. Sometimes, I don't know what I like to think I might know, lol! I'd rather say I was wrong than to lead someone in the wrong direction...

-
Back