baby steps forward & a step back - 2K urethane Epoxy primer.

-

greymouser7

Vagrant Vagabond “Veni Vidi Vici”
Reaction score
This paint is fantastic! It sticks to anything. It seems to seal well, and I can use it as a foundation for anything else. At any rate.,I bought the paint a couple of years ago (Nason from O'reilly's). It was epoxy paint before the 2nd part (hardener {clear yellow liquid}). The epoxy part was solid clay on the bottom half of the can-Should have had a drill mixer.

On my budget, I used the Harbor Freight $10 gun. At first, (this paint was expensive on my budget) it was pretty hard to dial in the gun and there was a bunch of splatters. I had second thoughts spraying paint that was more expensive than the gun into oblivion as I feeble fumble effed my way into dialing the gun into about 20% of what a professional would accept.

I had used this paint before with a friend that pretty much knew what he was doing and I layed down a perfect, smooth, (but TOO T H I N ) coat on top of several layers of rustoleum enamel of all things. At that time, We had completed 90% of the body work and I wanted to seal the metal with something that protect the metal. I was about to begin my last tour on a submarine. There isn't much down time when you are attached to a boat so the car sat dormant until now.
Even with a thin coat, it did really good for over 4 years. It had a few freckles of rust spots and for the last week I sanded those down, applied a rust converter ( Ospho ), etching primer, sanded that, and finally layyed down a second coat of the 2K urethane epoxy primer.

You haven't seen so many runs in a series of horror films. Tomorrow I sand them all, wipe it down and lay on some base coat with a better setup gun.

Painting with a cheap compressor, cheap paint gun, outside, (it's 70 degrees here yankees, EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT!!) can be done, but damn if it isn't hard. I got hours of sanding tomorrow. They say John Wayne says life is hard, and harder if you are stupid (or you have schedule that doesn't care what your limitations are. For me this schedule is kind of a blessing. Many people can attest to having a little OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) when it comes to what they care about. Well that crap is out the window, full speed ahead! paint pics tomorrow!

Last edited:
036D18AF-2A41-44A5-9D35-040A4D1DC7C1.jpeg
3A981D05-3E5D-433D-8F06-30249E36FE66.jpeg
B5F3D6EA-8E16-4F55-97F1-86F4A636BE44.jpeg
FD66FD12-551A-4536-9677-F5CE8679B463.jpeg
A7F6A93A-9BA2-475F-84BB-23136C1EA10A.jpeg

You got rid of the rust, yes hand sanding out runs of epoxy ain't easy, but you will have paint of a slid car when you are done! I have used $30 HVP guns from Summit that work plenty good. Add the little plastic moisture trap ( $3-4) at the gun the be safe from water in air if the one at the compressor is MIA!
F bodies are COOL and inexpensive project. I love mine.

It wasn't hardly cold, wet, or windy until after I painted the car.
I started on sanding on the car, drove the 90 miles for the flare kit for brakes and fuel lines.
When I was setting up for the second (most recent Epoxy Primer paint accomplishment) the helpful brother-in-law overtightened an air connection to the purple $10 gun and broke the aluminum that gun was made of.
I knew enough to buy two paint guns.
I am not sure how I am going to use a medium to simulate that paint again, but I sure as hell am going to dial in the gun for much longer $150 for two gallons or not!

I murdered it. It's coming along though. Sanding epoxy makes you strong, just like being foolish.

PRO TIP: TAPE DUCT tape to THE BACK OF THE SAND PAPER so it doesn't rip. It lasts over ten times longer.

Last edited:
This paint is bullet resistant, reminds me of Por-15. I have seen a shop owner spray Por-15 onto this stuff before.

I really needed something like this, cause this early f body just loves to oxidize. Ashes to ashes, rust to dust-but not yet.

Last edited:
Looks great! Did I hear you say 150$ for two gallons? I think I paid 240$ for my last gallon of R&M by BASF. 150$ for two sounds like a great deal.

Be careful using Ospho as some epoxies as it can react unless the Ospho is neutralized while wet with water.

Yes epoxy primers are so tough, and stick like ugly on an ape. If you have a DA sander, smooth out those runs!! Use something smoother than 80 grit so as to not leave sand scratches. Remember any flaw you see or feel in that body will magnify when you apply top coat!

-
Back