Back in the family after 30yrs

-

kingvern

Reaction score
My uncle sold his 69 dart gts 383 4 spd 30 years ago for 1500 dollars, I was crushed. It was the car that made me a die hard mopar fan. I always new where it was. The guy that bought it drove it for 2yrs pulled the engine and trans to rebuild after the block cracked, he then put it in his parents heated basement for the last 28yrs. I would always ask him when he was going to sell it back to me. He said my family would have first dibs when he was ready to sell. Well he passed away in January and before he passed he told his wife to offer it to us first. So last Saturday I went and put a deposit on the car and will pick it up this next march. Car is still very solid and wearing its original T5 paint. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• DSCN0591.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 456
  • DSCN0592.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 444
  • DSCN0593.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 487
  • DSCN0594.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 458
  • DSCN0595.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 455
  • DSCN0596.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 493
Wow that is crazy....It's kind of too bad he didn't sell it to you while he was alive.

Those 30 years mustve seemed like an eternity, and next MArch is gonna seem like 30 years !

the first thing you "DONT" want to do is paint it.
the original looks great..

the first thing you "DONT" want to do is paint it.
the original looks great..
absolutely! This is you uncles original car and I would only do what needs to be done and keep it as close to the way he had it IMO. Great job having the patience to wait it out Great car!

Wow!
This doesn't happen very often.
Congrats to you for waiting it out.
Sorry to hear about the guy's passing though.......

Thank you everyone. I will know more after I get it home. As far as I could tell the only rust was on the dog legs of the fenders. It was very tight in there so I couldn't see a lot. plan is to clean it up and go from there.

I am glad you got the car back, I like that you plan just to clean it up.
Don't paint anything, you can rub some rust converter in small area's to preserve it if necessary.
Polish the exterior with really fine compound, old enamel will shine great if you take your time.
Did you get the original block? Just because it cracked does not mean it cannot be fixed.
Good luck

Congrats, thats awsome that you got it back after all these years.
Please post more pics when it finally gets home

Didn't get the original block. it was scraped years ago. His wife and one of his friends is looking for the original trans. He had 3 big poll barns full of parts and cars. I don't think she is ready to let just anyone go looking thru his stuff.

Thanks for sharing the details. Definitely a feel good story.

That is a such a great story to hear. Congrats on getting it back and in such good shape too! I found my old Challenger a couple years ago but it was too far gone for me to revive. Yours is a well kept time capsule. tmm

Why do you have to wait for March to pick it up?

Amazing story! Congrats! I am still searching for my first car, Lime green 440+6 4 spd dana roadrunner I owned from 1978 until I stupidly sold it in 1999 down in Florida. Goodluck with your restoration and be sure to document the whole thing! Have fun!

-
Back