Back of Early A V8 pedal

-

armyofchuckness

The Flying Valiant
Reaction score
Hey! I'm switching from linkage to cable for my accelerator pedal. I have the Early A V8 firewall mount, but I'm using a freshly rebuilt Slant 6 pedal. I'm told the pedals are basically the same, but the linkage tab on the back is trimmed. Does anyone have a photo available of what the back of a V8 pedal looks like so I know how much and how far to trim?

Thanks so much!

I can get you that pic when I get home, but it's not as easy as just trimming the tab! The back of the /6 pedal is hollow whereas the V8 pedal is solid and has a flat plastic pad on the back where the pedal flapper end rubs on it! I'm not sure that would work on the hollowed out /6 pedal! I have an extra pedal I can sell you if you're interested! I'll picture that too when I get home! Geof

Thanks, Geof! That's kind of a bummer as I just had this gas pedal rebuilt by Gary Goers. It's like new! Is yours in good shape?

Thanks again for offering to help.

So, here's the back of each pedal side by side! As you can see, the slanty pedal is smaller, shorter, not as wide, and hollowed out in back! The V8 pedal is solid through and through, and the yellowish plastic pad is where the flapper arm rubs on the pedal! Can't say for sure if you could use the slanty pedal or not, I suppose it's possible!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 169
Not even the pedal-to-floorpan bolt pattern is the same between rod-type and cable-type '64-'66 A-body accelerators, let alone the rest of the pedal. Can't call 'em "V8 and \6" accelerators, either, because the cable-type pedal was used not only on the V8 cars but also on the '65-'66 cars with \6 and factory A/C.

Me, I put a '62-'65 B-body accelerator in my '62 Lancer as part of my cable-throttle conversion. That's another different pedal (roller rather than slider) but it fits and works nicely, looks correct, and it was at hand when I needed it.

Great info. Thanks, guys! Somebody clearly was making things up when they told me to just use the linkage pedal for my 4bbl Slant conversion. I'm going to Don Garlits' place in a few weeks for the big Mopar show there. I'll keep an eye out for pedals. If I can't find something that will work, I'll get back to you, cosgig. Thanks!

-
Back