Back to the drawing board... stock low dollar 360

-
You need to dial in the pump shot to try and get the 60' back. I launch at 2K and found that using a white cam primary #2 hole in both the cam and throttle is best for me. #2 delays the shot a little and leaves more shot available when you launch. Rear cam is pink #1 hole, both 33 nozzles. Test, test looking at 60' times.

You need to dial in the pump shot to try and get the 60' back. I launch at 2K and found that using a white cam primary #2 hole in both the cam and throttle is best for me. #2 delays the shot a little and leaves more shot available when you launch. Rear cam is pink #1 hole, both 33 nozzles. Test, test looking at 60' times.
This is a very good thought. Into the pump by brake-torqueing at the line.... leaving little pump left on the mash. I did notice the DP pump arm off the cam had the spring mostly collapsed. Not allowing the spring to continue the pump..... I might have another arm, just in case it's bent. I'll have to see what I can scrounge up for cams on some of my other carbs I have laying around.
  • I did have to go to a 35 nozzle on the primary to eliminate a slight "blog" out of the hole. I did that at the strip Saturday
  • I'm chasing the tune on a 2nd hand carb. Not sure what tricks someone else will try, but I will get to the bottom of it. Right now it's performing really well, just given a little up to the VS on the 60 ft, but that's it.
  • It's being "fussy" on the 60 ft. the 2.45's and stock converter are not very forgiving :)

Last edited:
Still tweak'n… :)

DSCN1215.JPG

DSCN1216.JPG

DSCN1217.JPG

slight derail, 318 did you ever have a problem with advance sticking when using the plate, because I do

slight derail, 318 did you ever have a problem with advance sticking when using the plate, because I do
I don't know, haven't really run it yet. Had it a few years though ... LOL.
This distributor is a reman from a parts store, had it a while. Anyways, I have some of the grease that was in the distributor on the plate, so hopefully no stick'n.

So, what did you set it at?

I love that plate, some of the best money I ever spent, since my timing got changed more than once.
No sticking so far with mine, btw.

I just hate that damn clip in the shaft. I use hemostats on them.
16 advance. I also replaced the heavy spring with a Mr. G spring :) .

16 advance. I also replaced the heavy spring with a Mr. G spring :) .
I honestly can't remember if I used two silver springs, or just replaced the heavy one, but I think I must have left the light factory spring, and I may change that to bring it all in sooner.
My timing map is on my tuning thread.

Last edited:
Going to make an attempt Tomorrow (Saturday) to get back to the track for what appears to be the last time this year. Going to bring the recurved distributor with lighter spring and the VS carb with the new QF secondary and do the swaps at the strip to see E.T. results. Predicting slight rain in the AM, and rain chances increase as the day goes on. Hopefully that changes by tomorrow and they race.

have fun, looking forward to your results.
well, they only raced the 1/8 mile today because of weather. I ran, but ran the "low dollar 318" because I did a carb swap. We left in the rain, drove out of it and made a few passes - and ran the best times both 60 ft and 1/8 the car has ever made. Only change was I took off the 670 Holley and put on the 770 Holley. :)
500.00 budget build 318. 2.76 gears, stock converter & exhaust manifolds.

DSCN1218.JPG

Previous best....
dscn0872-jpg-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
All I have around here is 1/8 mile tracks so when I look at yalls time slips I have to look at the 1/8 to relate. Lol I really hope I can get 9.5s out of my teener. I'd like to get in the mid 8s eventually.

All I have around here is 1/8 mile tracks so when I look at yalls time slips I have to look at the 1/8 to relate. Lol I really hope I can get 9.5s out of my teener. I'd like to get in the mid 8s eventually.
Mid 8's wouldn't be too bad if you give it a little help with gears, converter, and headers. My teener is NOT set up for the 1/8... LOL... 2.76 gears and stock converter with a full weight car is not how you want to set 'em up, boyz… :D

Anyways, sorry to distract the 360 thread with this 318, but I said I was going to try and run it today, but didn't for the reasons I mentioned earlier

Last edited:
The FBO plate limits the wrong end for best power, otherwise its a clever and handy way to reduce the total.
If using the plate, some of the secondary curve can be regained by turning the secondary (long loop heavy diameter) spring perch for earliest contact.
Whether the primary spring perch needs adjusting will depend on thespring and rpm it idles at. With a lighter spring, it will probably need more initial tension.
That might be why it was was bouncing at 10*

Timing mark was going crazy... LOL. fluctuating about 10 degrees. Funny thing is, when it was revved, it would go to full advancement then drop 10*… LOL. I'll have to take it back apart.
  • P.S. - I tried it in the 318 because the car was handy.
That’s odd, I have 2 of those plates and the timing is dead on. Maybe another issue. Goodluck.

you remembered I had those???? LOL...
I remembered you had talked about trying headers. When I went looking for the post, I found the ones where you had tried out the spitfires for fit.
Otherwise I was going to tempt you with a different set of headers. :D

-
Back