Back up lights on forward and reverse

-

68 A

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Wanted to get my backup lights working so I can get the car inspected.

Followed the wiring diagram and I have to correct wires hooked up for the neutral safety switch and the other two wires going into the bulkhead connector.

The switch is on the transmission (A-904). The reverse lights are on when the car is in reverse, 3, 2, and 1.

I have a hurst shifter in the car and could hook the wires up to the switch on that, but I would prefer to keep the wiring in the correct location and not have to cut up the wiring harness and run wires in extra spots where they might get chaffed or wet or broken or who knows what might happen to them.

My thought is the switch. I got the transmission from Cope Racing Trans, and assume that it was a new switch since everything else was rebuilt.

Any thoughts, ideas or similar experiences?

Thanks,

Steve

I have the same issue........................ anyone?????

I would assume you have an automatic as well? If you unplug the wiring connector @ the transmission are the lights still on and also will the engine still crank over with it disconnected? The neutral/back up light switch could be bad.

.............This problem occurs when the linkage inside the trans is the old style[68 down] combined with a 3 prong nss from a 69 up car/wiring harness...........68 down uses a single prong nss..........and yes u can change the linkage inside commonly known as the rooster comb.....68 down is bare metal.......69 up has a plastic comb.........kim............

mine does that too...i thought it was something to do with the reverse valve body...is there a special nss for rmvb?

..........No, rev is still in the same place.......u just have to match the nss to the rite linkage and years.............kim.........

-
Back