Back vinyl bucket seat repair help

-

ConnerDart70

Reaction score
Hello, I haven’t posted a whole lot but I’m working on my 70 dart swinger. I have searched around to see what other people have done to repair the back “plastic” piece as mine is cracked. I’m interested to hear what others have done or if anyone has seen a thread on this!
thanks conner

4B5672F6-752F-41AE-974E-8E7B171D368D.jpeg

0A3B8A9A-E0AB-4C46-9662-DDBAD6DC2820.jpeg

When you say cracked do you mean there are areas where the plastic is truly cracked or as your photos show the surface of the plastic is deteriorating and flaking off?

When you say cracked do you mean there are areas where the plastic is truly cracked or as your photos show the surface of the plastic is deteriorating and flaking off?
Sorry I just meant the outer plastic layer is flaking off
It almost looks like it was painted as I can scratch it with my fingernail and it flakes off

I wasn’t sure if I scraped the top “plastic paint” layer off and sanded it all so it was smooth
Then maybe some sort of plastic paint?

Here’s a couple close ups of the back where you can see it peeling and how where it’s already peeled off it’s a rougher texture

152A3418-BD6B-410E-9793-9B4A602DE9D8.jpeg

B362AB10-E545-41FD-A681-9D0DA28C397A.jpeg

Legendary and a few others sell the backs, and you are in luck since they only come in black and WHITE!!!. Be careful - the upholstery on your seats is NOT 1970, but rather 1971 or 2 (somebody help out here), the stitch pattern is different and 70 doesn't have those trim pieces in the vinyl. The reason I mention this is that the seat backs changed, i believe at the end of 1970 (they talk about rounded and more square corners). If you have later seats you will need later backs.

Legendary and a few others sell the backs, and you are in luck since they only come in black and WHITE!!!. Be careful - the upholstery on your seats is NOT 1970, but rather 1971 or 2 (somebody help out here), the stitch pattern is different and 70 doesn't have those trim pieces in the vinyl. The reason I mention this is that the seat backs changed, i believe at the end of 1970 (they talk about rounded and more square corners). If you have later seats you will need later backs.
Thank you for your help! I did see In another restoration forum where they were talking about this! I personally wasn’t sure the differences as I know my car originally had a bench seat so I am not sure what “style” these seats were
Thanks again!!

They definitely look like Mopar seats. I would suggest the you post a few shots on the upholstery from the front and a pic of the seat hinge area under a title like, What year and car are these bucket seats from? I think you'll find out pretty quick. The catalog says the switch was 12/1/1970 which means all 70 cars and early 71 cars, then a mid year switch to the new back. From the pictures it looks like the earlier back has the release button for the seat back placed in the plastic back molding, I know 70 seat backs had the button sticking out of the metal hinge cover...

They definitely look like Mopar seats. I would suggest the you post a few shots on the upholstery from the front and a pic of the seat hinge area under a title like, What year and car are these bucket seats from? I think you'll find out pretty quick. The catalog says the switch was 12/1/1970 which means all 70 cars and early 71 cars, then a mid year switch to the new back. From the pictures it looks like the earlier back has the release button for the seat back placed in the plastic back molding, I know 70 seat backs had the button sticking out of the metal hinge cover...

Thank you that helps a lot! They do have a black release button on the side! I may still post just to see!

I had the same issue on my dusters A pillars. I scraped off as much of the dry bit as possible, hit them with a few coats of spray on bedliner (the good stuff that dries HARD) and painted over it. If you just pat the stuff before it’s totally dry, you can smooth the texture out a bit so it’s not crazy coarse. It’s looks ok when complete.

I had the same issue on my dusters A pillars. I scraped off as much of the dry bit as possible, hit them with a few coats of spray on bedliner (the good stuff that dries HARD) and painted over it. If you just pat the stuff before it’s totally dry, you can smooth the texture out a bit so it’s not crazy coarse. It’s looks ok when complete.
Thanks for the response! Never thought of using Bedliner, just wondering if you primed it first and if so if there was a specific type you used? I have sanded the back of mine that’s it so far!
If you have any pics I’d love to see!
98F8230D-1664-4F14-8008-4B2C658D8517.jpeg

Thanks for the response! Never thought of using Bedliner, just wondering if you primed it first and if so if there was a specific type you used? I have sanded the back of mine that’s it so far!
If you have any pics I’d love to see!
View attachment 1715669148

I didnt use any primer on mine and it seems to have stuck just fine. I can snap a picture or two for you this afternoon or tomorrow. I believe I used the herculiner. I used it on a ton of stuff that I wanted to have texture- Heater box, interior pieces, etc.

I didnt use any primer on mine and it seems to have stuck just fine. I can snap a picture or two for you this afternoon or tomorrow. I believe I used the herculiner. I used it on a ton of stuff that I wanted to have texture- Heater box, interior pieces, etc.
Sweet I’ll definitely give it a go! Thanks a lot!! And whenever you get the chance no rush!

Hey guys it’s been a couple weeks and with being in lockdown and shelves being bare I used what I could get my hands on.
I primed up the backs and gave them a couple coats of paint. Don’t look to close as They don’t look like a set of brand new ones but I was happy with how they turned out as I had no clue what to expect! At least they’re not flaking off everywhere now! Freshens them up for now until I get some new ones! Thanks again for everyone’s input!

8918F11D-8A20-46CB-B125-66161719889D.jpeg

EC37E944-0B25-4104-B538-124ADE5232A7.jpeg

907268CB-BC1B-4788-97AF-23B5D51CC757.jpeg

Hey, Looks good from west of Chi!:D

If you are looking for some texture in the sanded areas (and I don't how it would react), maybe some wrinkle paint below the finish color.

Hey, Looks good from west of Chi!:D

If you are looking for some texture in the sanded areas (and I don't how it would react), maybe some wrinkle paint below the finish color.
Thanks! I tried the hammered look but they didn’t have any white, and I tried to paint over it but the texture wouldn’t come thru when I painted over it !!!

-
Back