Backhalfing a car.......

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have decided to back half my Mercury Bobcat. I know it is not a Mopar, but it does share having a unibody construction. Will some of you be kind enough to share pictures of your back half builds during various stages? It would help me get some ideas. Thanks.

I have decided to back half my Mercury Bobcat. I know it is not a Mopar, but it does share having a unibody construction. Will some of you be kind enough to share pictures of your back half builds during various stages? It would help me get some ideas. Thanks.
I understand why,Rob... Have you consider(ed) , the viable tire supplies? Drag radials,a Capri v6 8" inch 3:42 ( factory gear ,via DSO....) ran 11.20's at 119..,he cannot poop,on tuning....

Got the 8" Rustang II rear already installed. Thought I would use it till and if it breaks. Most of the info I get says it will hold up with big tires on a street car.

I personally would love to follow the build of your Bobcat. something about the Bobcat/Pintos are just cool to me.
doesn't hurt that my dad is a pretty die hard ford/mercury guy

dang rob, as smart as you are w/ your mech. experience, this outta be a no brainer for you ! do it now, wish I had done at least a mini tub on the fish when I was building it.---------------------------you can dooooooo it !

I would strongly recommend purchasing mandrel bent, one piece rear frame rails.

When I did my son's '88 Mustang I reinforced the stock frame kick up, added new 2x3 from there back, and 2x3 forward protruding up into rear footwell and welded to front sub frame. Far more work than I expected should have bought the preformed frame rails.

The biggest decision, and argument we had was the tubs. He suggested for ease of fabrication is to build complete sheet metal ones, but with the rear window, like your Bobcat, I thought it would look too garbage canny. I cut them out, added flat metal to the side and a strip along the perimeter like a mini tub.

This retained the stock curved stamping and when you walk by and look in the rear window it's hard to tell how wide they really are. Turned out fantastic, worth the work and he agreed when I was done.

I'd flip through this guy's cuda build. not sure exactly if this is what you're looking for but it is a cool build that shows some tips and tricks along the way.

'70 Track Warrior 'Cuda - Lateral-g Forums

Wow....flipping thru that build (for me anyways) is humbling to say the least......talk about your double....no triple throw down / bucks up / trick build.
the Jacobs Ladder did not go unnoticed......I got a kick out of the link above for the back half TV build on the Dart, .....just a 1,2,3 and your done....for those that have back halfed a car (in our garage no less).....it is quit a bit more involved.

All said.....where there is a will, there is a way....good luck. RRR, please do not take this the wrong way, but I'm with Famous Bob here, you are probably be the last guy I would expect asking about such a project. Be like Trump asking about setting up a lemonade stand.

Last edited:
dang rob, as smart as you are w/ your mech. experience, this outta be a no brainer for you ! do it now, wish I had done at least a mini tub on the fish when I was building it.---------------------------you can dooooooo it !

The last one I did was about 31 years ago. I've been around a lot of them.....but not paid attention too much because it;s something I never thought I would be interested in doin again. I was sorta fishin to see if maybe there were any new tips tricks or tools. Never hurts to ask.

I am just going to buy an assembled ready to install. I have looked at several places but I am kinda zoomed in on S&W Race Cars at the moment.

I would strongly recommend purchasing mandrel bent, one piece rear frame rails.

When I did my son's '88 Mustang I reinforced the stock frame kick up, added new 2x3 from there back, and 2x3 forward protruding up into rear footwell and welded to front sub frame. Far more work than I expected should have bought the preformed frame rails.

The biggest decision, and argument we had was the tubs. He suggested for ease of fabrication is to build complete sheet metal ones, but with the rear window, like your Bobcat, I thought it would look too garbage canny. I cut them out, added flat metal to the side and a strip along the perimeter like a mini tub.

This retained the stock curved stamping and when you walk by and look in the rear window it's hard to tell how wide they really are. Turned out fantastic, worth the work and he agreed when I was done.

I understand. But like I said, it's been a LONG time since I have done this.

Wow....flipping thru that build (for me anyways) is humbling to say the least......talk about your double....no triple throw down / bucks up / trick build.
the Jacobs Ladder did not go unnoticed......I got a kick out of the link above for the back half TV build on the Dart, .....just a 1,2,3 and your done....for those that have back halfed a car (in our garage no less).....it is quit a bit more involved.

All said.....where there is a will, there is a way....good luck. RRR, please do not take this the wrong way, but I'm with Famous Bob here, you are probably be the last guy I would expect asking about such a project. Be like Trump asking about setting up a lemonade stand.

:)

FYI.....personally, I think the trailer fenders utilized for the wheel tubs is one of the best ideas since the pop-rivet gun.

-
Back