Backup Light Troubleshooting

-

domdart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Last night I fired up the 68 Dart and noticed the passenger side backup light wasn't lit. I changed bulbs, then had my wife put the car in reverse. When she did, the light came on then went right out. How should I go about troubleshooting. Thanks FABO.

So the left one works? Has to be right back there likely the bulb or socket. Maybe rust is preventing the socket from being grounded

Many years ago 4537 lamps (landing lights) were popular for off road. One guy bought some lamp shells and sealed beams and mounted them on the bumper of his Ford pickup, could not get them to work. THE BUMPER was not grounded due to rust!!!!

What Del said, there is only (1) wire (circuit) going rearward for them so if one is hot see if there is an open between the operating one and the dead on (power side check) then (ground side check) see if the non op bulb has continuity to the socket and the socket has continuity to the body. Grab your VOM & you'll be checking for power and ohms and a good habit to get into when checking ohms is to pull a batt cable BEFORE switching your meter to ohms (takes 1 minute)

-
Back