Bad sellers on the sites

Good idea?

• Total voters
-

halifaxhops

It's going to get stupid around here!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Been noticing a lot more "BAD" deals going on how about a dedicated thread to alert other members after all other methods to rectify the deal are completed. What ya all think? @Joeychgo

i think there are several people on here who have their own "black list"
you could ask them to post those lists to warn others

but in the end, its just life

This was discussed several times in the past.
One person. Recommended a thread called wall of shame....

Only problem is not being able to ban the person for life. Your banning the screen name. Like a game of Wack-A-Mole.

This was discussed several times in the past.
One person. Recommended a thread called wall of shame....
That would be me. Have suggested several times...going back to my short stint as moderator. Sadly, it simply will not happen....after all, the site has some sort of "feedback system"...for what THAT is worth.

Been noticing a lot more "BAD" deals going on how about a dedicated thread to alert other members after all other methods to rectify the deal are completed. What ya all think? @Joeychgo

We have a feedback system people dont bother to pay attention to, why would people look for a bad seller thread?

Protecting yourself is not that hard, people just try to get around everything and eventually some pay the price. Using Paypal friends and family for example. Sending money orders, etc.

Bottom line is you have to use your head. In how you buy and how you sell. PP charges $$ for more reasons than to make a profit. Use research on here and any other part of the internet that will help you make a sound decision. Even after this, yes you can still get burned, but less chance for it.

With all the sites Joey runs I wonder if an attorney who could at least send a letter would be a good idea. I bet it wouldn't cost much to send a letter to put the fear of God into these scum. Also fgill posted a really great outline of how to follow up being burned. I think that should be a sticky and not get lost!

With all the sites Joey runs I wonder if an attorney who could at least send a letter would be a good idea. I bet it wouldn't cost much to send a letter to put the fear of God into these scum.

Pretty much, no. In my experience, such letters don't do anything in these cases. What are you going to do? Ruin their credit? Part of the problem is that law enforcement doesnt take this stuff seriously and there are jurisdictional issues. Most police are concerned about chasing a burglar or rapist then chasing down some guy who scammed you out of $50.

That would be me. Have suggested several times...going back to my short stint as moderator. Sadly, it simply will not happen....after all, the site has some sort of "feedback system"...for what THAT is worth.
Now I remember Doug !

In my own experience we had one such thread that comes to mind. A member shared his horror story, and then others did about that same guy. By the time it was done, 172 other members had chimed in with their own!!!!!

That thread got ... deleted. The reasons for that decision escape all rational thought far as I'm concerned.

I think the whole idea is to shine a light on these scammers. BTW a feedback system that nobody uses is useless. I'm hoping if someone gets shortchanged they speak up and keep others from getting bit. In a perfect world scammers know not to even try it here.

Only problem is not being able to ban the person for life. Your banning the screen name. Like a game of Wack-A-Mole.
They ban ip addresses.
So they have to get a new computer IP, modem ip...unless its floating ip... then cono ip is banned. To my knowledge...

Person with nefarious intentions will be well versed in utilizing multiple ip’s with multiple devices and various screen names on same site.

In my own experience we had one such thread that comes to mind. A member shared his horror story, and then others did about that same guy. By the time it was done, 172 other members had chimed in with their own!!!!!

That thread got ... deleted. The reasons for that decision escape all rational thought far as I'm concerned.

I agree 100%. It's almost as if the powers that be want to protect the "bad guys". I'd like to think that's not the case, but I , like you have searched high and low for that thread. It's flat gone. It's too bad that it's more important to make the site "look good" than to protect good, contributing members.

They ban ip addresses.
So they have to get a new computer IP, modem ip...unless its floating ip... then cono ip is banned. To my knowledge...

That's just it. Some ISPs sign you on with a different IP address every time. My old ISP was like that.

The entire concept of shaming the scammers is flawed and based on a false assumption. They have no shame and it means nothing to them...or they wouldn’t be doing what they do.

The reality is that there will always be people who do these things and they won’t stop.

The best anyone can do is be vigilant and cautious in transactions by taking every measure to protect your interest. You cannot let your guard down for any reason since that it what they entirely rely on.

Big cities are full of pickpockets and you can’t eliminate them. But you can take your wallet out of your back pocket and secure it in a way that makes it hard to get at.

The same applies here.

The entire concept of shaming the scammers is flawed and based on a false assumption. They have no shame and it means nothing to them...or they wouldn’t be doing what they do.

The reality is that there will always be people who do these things and they won’t stop.

The best anyone can do is be vigilant and cautious in transactions by taking every measure to protect your interest. You cannot let your guard down for any reason since that it what they entirely rely on.

Big cities are full of pickpockets and you can’t eliminate them. But you can take your wallet out of your back pocket and secure it in a way that makes it hard to get at.

The same applies here.

I agree with that, BUT IMO it still would be a service to members in good standing to know who NOT to deal with.

I agree with that, BUT IMO it still would be a service to members in good standing to know who NOT to deal with.
I agree, and like Joey said we have a rating system. People just need to be diligent in using it so that it can become more effective.

Posting one-off threads of bad experiences tends to get lost in the noise and not everyone ever sees them. And most of the time it just turns into a he said-she said that people can’t draw any conclusions from.

I don’t think trying to create a hall of shame can be effective either since the scammers just reappear in different skins. While not the most satisfying answer, I think the rating system is as good as we are going to get.

Otherwise, diligence is our only other option.

We have a feedback system people dont bother to pay attention to, why would people look for a bad seller thread?

Protecting yourself is not that hard, people just try to get around everything and eventually some pay the price. Using Paypal friends and family for example. Sending money orders, etc.
I agree with Joey. If people stopped sending money via PayPal Gift or Friends / Family (and money orders) most of the problems we read about would not happen. We read post after post after post about it. There are 3 or 4 active ones now.

I agree also. There is some members I pay with gift or f&f. These are ppl that I consider friends or family in our Mopar community. Some ppl even send me f&f Yes I get dinged a fee on them transactions wheather or not I’m sending or receiving. Kim

The thing with the feedback system is, while a lot of us have it figured out, to some, it's very difficult. And it seems no amount of explaining can clear it up. It does have a lot of steps involved for someone who might be all that computer savvy. This could be one reason why a "wall of shame" so to speak might be beneficial.

We have a perfectly good feedback system, all you have to do is use it. I don’t feel like I buy or sell that much stuff here, but I still have 30 positive feedback ratings. Mostly because whether I’m the buyer or the seller I always try to leave feedback. Not everyone knows about the feedback deal or how it works, but if you leave feedback most of the time the other member will too. It really isn’t that hard to figure out.

It’s not perfect, not everyone has feedback ratings. I’ve done business with more than a few members with no buyer/seller feedback, it’s not like I won’t do business with someone that doesn’t have any feedback. But when I do I make sure I look up to see if they have any completed for sale threads, and I use PayPal and pay the “goods and services” fees so I have recourse if I get burned. And I have used PayPal to recover my money, and I have used it to settle a dispute with a buyer too when stuff I sold was damaged in shipping. Crap happens.

I’ve used money orders a few times in the past with sellers that won’t enter the current century. But usually with those I won’t send very much in the way of a dollar amount unless the person is a well established member or gold member here.

Most of that stuff I feel is common sense, but I guess maybe it isn’t.

The thing with the feedback system is, while a lot of us have it figured out, to some, it's very difficult. And it seems no amount of explaining can clear it up. It does have a lot of steps involved for someone who might be all that computer savvy. This could be one reason why a "wall of shame" so to speak might be beneficial.
Yea I have tried a couple times to use the feedback system one time it worked but a couple times I kept getting the red error message and I finally gave up

-
Back