Band clamp at muffler hanger location?

-

burdar

Owen's Dad
Reaction score
I've been reading this thread on band clamps. Exhaust Band Clamps Since it's an old thread I thought it best to start a new post. If this question has been answered please link to the discussion.

My question has to do with the TTI muffler hangers. The hanger has a traditional muffler clamp incorporated into it. It serves as the muffler hanger and the muffler to tail pipe clamp. Using a band clamp on the other connections seems like a waste of time if I'm forced to use a traditional clamp on the back of the muffler. Has anyone incorporated both the TTI hanger and a band clamp in that location? Basically the TTI hanger would only be there to act as a hanger and not to clamp the muffler and tail pipe together. Maybe put a bend in the TTI hanger so it makes contact with the tail pipe but not the muffler? Then both could be used.

I have 3 different mufflers to try. A band clamp would make swapping the mufflers much easier.

How about tig/mig weld the band clamps metal seal to the hanger like in a cross as long as the weld doesn't interferer with the bolts or the sealing area?

Has anyone incorporated both the TTI hanger and a band clamp in that location?
No but, Here's what I did.
Like you say I used that big fat overbuilt TTI hanger just to suspend it. After the entire system was installed and hanging perfect, I drilled two holes at about 3 and 9 o'clock, each one thru the rear muffler snout and Tail-pipe, both at the same time, and installed SS self-taping screws.
At the front I had the TTI H-pipe, which needed no help. From the H to the collectors, I let it overlap about 1.75 inches (just a guess), and, that soots up and seals just fine, and the bonus is that a shot of penetrant loosens it right up, and so I can pull the H off with the extensions still bolted to the headers. Atb the very back, I suspended the hangers on studs. These were just Bolts passed thru the frame from the inside and bolted to it, leaving enough thread to hang, and secure the hangers.

At the track, in the "pits" the two times I have gone since 1999, taking the entire exhaust off takes only a couple of minutes; and IIRC , it weighed 72 pounds.

-
Back