Bang for the buck.

-

ValiantS

Reaction score
What do you think is the best bang for the buck using a Mopar for powertrain? I'm not asking about N/A only combo's. Just what have you, or THINK you can build to make respectable power for a good service life on the 'cheap' Let's say anything ABOVE 650HP...GO

Above 650? Good service life? On the cheap? Ain't happenin' unless you spring for good internals and prep-$$. Maybe Hellcat or the like if you score a deal...

What do you think is the best bang for the buck using a Mopar for powertrain? I'm not asking about N/A only combo's. Just what have you, or THINK you can build to make respectable power for a good service life on the 'cheap' Let's say anything ABOVE 650HP...GO
I'm interested to not only here from people who have done something like this, but from those planning on or think they could and what would they do. I'm guessing there will be something to learn from this for everyone. I have done an aluminium headed 451 that made around 675HP for...we'll round-up to $5000. This was around 2005. It was street driven and pump gas. And was bracket raced 3x a year for about 5 years. It was spun to 7500rpm. It broke a Dove rocker so, this mandated a change which lead to a major upgrade. I actually had the replacement rockers ready to go for a couple years KNOWING that they should have been replaced in that application so, if you want to add-in the rebiuilt used TD rocker UPGRADE total cost was below $5750. I feel that combo had more in it but he had to package it under the factory dual snorkel hood scoop. That same engine went in a regular bracket car which I saw using the same engine for at least 5 years following.

Just be aware that inflation alone since 2005 is just shy of 42%- your $5750 number from 2005 translates to over $8140 in today's dollars, and that's not counting current market values and availability of parts and services- you'll be paying a premium for whatever you can get right now, so the price just goes up from there.

I'm interested to not only here from people who have done something like this, but from those planning on or think they could and what would they do. I'm guessing there will be something to learn from this for everyone. I have done an aluminium headed 451 that made around 675HP for...we'll round-up to $5000. This was around 2005. It was street driven and pump gas. And was bracket raced 3x a year for about 5 years. It was spun to 7500rpm. It broke a Dove rocker so, this mandated a change which lead to a major upgrade. I actually had the replacement rockers ready to go for a couple years KNOWING that they should have been replaced in that application so, if you want to add-in the rebiuilt used TD rocker UPGRADE total cost was below $5750. I feel that combo had more in it but he had to package it under the factory dual snorkel hood scoop. That same engine went in a regular bracket car which I saw using the same engine for at least 5 years following.
Sounds like you have the recipe. Why not duplicate the build ?

Modern hemi with efi and turbocharger(s). That motor has a great bottom end, great heads and the turbos are not violent in power and can be managed handily by any efi controller. Would not attempt that power level on any pre new hemi platform for longevity or price.

Andy F made over 780 with a 470 with trickflows 270 cc heads, obviously alot more to it as you know but it is also a pump gas engine.
I'm doing a duplicate of it with 240 cc heads, a bit more compression, and a slightly smaller solid ft cam, he made 720 with his having a solid roller cam.
451-470 gets my vote for longevity as chrysler should have produced these 2 engines or at least many think so
I'd have to add it up but I think I have 10k into my 470, almost finished then off to the dyno.

Final price will be dependent on how many new vs used parts go into it, and how much can be done DIY vs paying professionals.

Final price will be dependent on how many new vs used parts go into it, and how much can be done DIY vs paying professionals.
NO DOUBT! I think this thread will do well to show what something actually cost for those that have done it and ultimately likely do a service to those that do it for a living to justify their costs. The reason I put the year I did it was to make the cost relative. This project started with heads that were junk in every aspect and needed welding, guides/VJ and 'needed' corrective porting. I used as many used parts Block crank pistons some valvetrain carb intake etc. I was able to do some of the work myself. Really, what inspired this post was this stock crank magnum motor. I appreciate things like this.

Just the same, I think you'll see what can be done with 'used' parts. Especially when 'new' isn't any more ready to run as it would imply.

This project started with heads that were junk in every aspect and needed welding, guides/VJ and 'needed' corrective porting. I used as many used parts Block crank pistons some valvetrain carb intake etc.
Well, this makes it kind of an open-ended question-not so much of a "what's the best bang for the buck" as it is a "cheapest parts I ever scored and managed to make work" thread... The guy that gets paid $50 to haul that crated 426 race hemi out of Grandma's basement is miles ahead right from the beginning.

Well, this makes it kind of an open-ended question-not so much of a "what's the best bang for the buck" as it is a "cheapest parts I ever scored and managed to make work" thread... The guy that gets paid $50 to haul that crated 426 race hemi out of Grandma's basement is miles ahead right from the beginning.
The reality is that unless you are rich, you HAVE to have some skills to put something together. Horsetrading is common to EVERYONE I know in this hobby. What WE did wasn't something that can't be done. His block, crank, pistons/rings, were $400. Those 360 parts he got offset a few hundred from the whole project. In the same sense, we swapped his 'desireable' SS spring 8 3/4 rear and suspension for a home-build junkyard Dana with gear and found used; spool, axles and coil-overs (new ladder-bars) all for a few hundred bucks more!...it's no different when you're HotRodding. If you don't try, you'll never do anything. The cost is relative to many things and should be mentioned. There are always going to be extreme examples but the core parts for a 451" can be had cheap.

Sounds like you have the recipe. Why not duplicate the build ?
I'm just curious what's been done and what is worth considering, inspired again mostly by this stock bore stock crank 5.9L. I'm not going to build something I already have just to see again. The engine I did for me, it was WAYYY more expensive but, that's what i felt I should do to build more power.

I'm just curious what's been done and what is worth considering, inspired again mostly by this stock bore stock crank 5.9L. I'm not going to build something I already have just to see again. The engine I did for me, it was WAYYY more expensive but, that's what i felt I should do to build more power.
Little confused. Didn't read anything about a stock bore stock crank 5.9. So you want reliable, service life out of a 650 hp 5.9, is this a street engine ?? I suggest forged pistons and crank set up for boost and half fill the block. Top it off with the right heads and cam. Turbos work wonders.

Best bang for the buck? Junkyard Magnum 5.9, twin turbos.

The reality is that unless you are rich, you HAVE to have some skills to put something together. Horsetrading is common to EVERYONE I know in this hobby. What WE did wasn't something that can't be done. His block, crank, pistons/rings, were $400. Those 360 parts he got offset a few hundred from the whole project. In the same sense, we swapped his 'desireable' SS spring 8 3/4 rear and suspension for a home-build junkyard Dana with gear and found used; spool, axles and coil-overs (new ladder-bars) all for a few hundred bucks more!...it's no different when you're HotRodding. If you don't try, you'll never do anything. The cost is relative to many things and should be mentioned. There are always going to be extreme examples but the core parts for a 451" can be had cheap.
Really, what inspired this post was this stock crank magnum motor. I appreciate things like this.
I have no idea what 5.9 build you're talking about- I thought you were talking about your 451 built with castoff parts? From what I can tell, I highly doubt that $400 Mag motor was 650 hp and up, which is what you initially were asking... This thread is all over the place. I'm gone.

Turbo anything is usually the best answer.
If you are like me, and no longer have access to tools and equipment I had before retirement, or fab skills are lacking......?
For me, my cheapest/easiest way to 750hp would be an all forged 400 stroker kit, cheap aluminum heads, and a nitrous kit. Since a real 550 crank hp would get my car where I want it to be (low 10's) I would forget ( maybe) the nitrous.
Could probably make 650 with a stock stroke 440, good heads, good internals, and a 200 shot.
Tune would be crucial for a decent lifespan.

How did some people OVERLOOK the initial question? In addition, I gave an example of a build I DID that fits this criteria. The car that inspired this general question was Motorcitymagnum. I never said he was making 650HP but, if I knew more about it, I could hazard a guess. In another thread PittsburgRacer mentioned his SBM and what it cost, John is a talented and accomplished man. Instead of mucking up that other thread, I created another, out of courtesy. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear as to specific names but, some people are just spreading their cynicism; e.g.-Professor Fate. (Good riddance!) This was just supposed to be a thread for fun, in which I'm still open to participate. I guess this is all part of learning some new people and them learning me.

I have another friend who is partnered on a $300 core 5.2L Magnum motor with a cheap Turbo. This is a promising combination that is showing about 600HP and was done relatively cheap. So I agree to those who have mentioned the Magnum AND the gen3 Hemi as good starting points.

I'd go with a junk yard 5.7 and a turbo. Maybe change the cam and springs, if I was really serious pistons and rods too.

-
Back