Barn find 72 340 duster

-
Yeah, it sounds like you got a good plan. I hope things work out for you. I'm only allowed to have one project car at a time. Wife's rules.

Work has slowed down while i nurse this sore arm from car accident. With a friend's help, did get the glass out, front and back out. Both channels look great and are as rust free as possible after 40 years. Typical rust in spare tire well.
also cut out the lower quarter to see what I had, not as bad i had expected.
all in all, body is solid as can be. I have seen better and I have damn sure seen worse!

Attachments

• Sharktooth grille resto 049.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,174
  • Sharktooth grille resto 054.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,183
  • Sharktooth grille resto 052.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,166
  • Sharktooth grille resto 050.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,184
also, getting something done on the repair of my sharktooth grille. Using old damaged standard grille, I cut the undamaged tabs off to use on sharktooth's
grille. After lots of sanding and fitment trial runs, will get them glued into place and more sanding before priming.

Attachments

• Sharktooth grille resto 036.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,112
  • Sharktooth grille resto 038.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,123
  • Sharktooth grille resto 042.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,136
  • Sharktooth grille resto 045.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,122
  • Sharktooth grille resto 046.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,130
Glad you stepped down to our level. Quite a drop from hemi Chargers and e bodies. Interesting thread and best of luck with the car.

Glad you stepped down to our level. Quite a drop from hemi Chargers and e bodies. Interesting thread and best of luck with the car.
Yep, this is the first car in over 15 years. thanks for remembering my Hemi Charger thread. The people I am meeting on here, i feel like I've stepped up......

Ha! I know, just bust'n Tim's chops:lol:

At this rate, I don't think I am going to get to display my car at the 1972 dealership during Carlisle. Dave, I think you need to drive over to my house in that gorgeous white 340 and lay down 20 feet of rubber in my driveway. That will help keep me focused!! lol...

Awesome car! Get that arm healed and show us a beautiful car. Can't wait!!

Awesome car! Get that arm healed and show us a beautiful car. Can't wait!!

Thanks, I have found a few parts on here that are missing. Picked up the right shroud on fabo from a member, still need the correct radiator and working on fan and fan clutch. The last two major factory parts are a decent woodgrain radio bezel, car did not come with, but is one of a very few thing, it not the only thing that I will do different than stock. Love the woodgrain dash, adds alot to the interior of the Dusters. the other item is factory am/fm, there I said it. It will be a long time before I need it, and I will find it hard to pay 200.00 for one that doesn't work.....

001-2.jpg
:thumrigh:

There u go Dave. Yours of course is ac, but that's the radio bezel needed.

Keep the pictures coming am going through the same work on my Sharktooth grille.

How are your taillights? am having a fun time trying to find a clean 72 passenger side taillight.

AWESOME find!! Im a huge Duster fan and think like you;this car will be a keeper when redone!

Keep the pictures coming am going through the same work on my Sharktooth grille.

How are your taillights? am having a fun time trying to find a clean 72 passenger side taillight.

I posted on a thread of yours about a pass. Tailight. I have a parts car that has one in ok shape. Lucky with the black car, the taillights are awesome. Will polish and repaint them and you will think they are nos lol...

Things have been slow with work and details of life but had a great time in Carlise and picked up a few items needed for the body. still need the trunk floor and passenger front foot well. Was going to also pick up the inner fenders but repop's are incorrect for the 72 Duster passenger side because they lack the indentation for the AC component. missed a set of NOS inner fenders here on FABO back a few months ago. Snooze you lose....

Attachments

• sheetmetal 113.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 830
Now have the correct radiator and shroud and also the correct fan and clutch. Not much has been done to car but have been chasing parts and the list of parts needed that are not being repoped is growing short. Factory parts still needed are 72 wood grain radio bezel and a mint set of 72 wood grain trim panels that go on the doors.. Have my neighbor's engine crane and will try and get the motor and trans out the week.

Did some work on the restoration of my lenses and finished them up today. Pics are a little out of order but here goes... Scrubbed lens in warm soapy water to get as clean as possible, then using polishing compound I polished them several times to restore the luster and shine. Tape them off and sprayed with Krylon Silver paint.Let dry for two days and and then coated with Krylon semi- gloss clear. This give the silver a protective coating and reproduces the factory finish perfectly. Dry for a few days and re-tape for the black accent line in the middle of the lenses. The is a major pain in the *** to tape this part off, but to get the best results time must be taken here to get sharp lines and a tight seal. Using Krylon Semi- gloss black paint fog in a light base coat to start the process. Let dry for a few minutes and fog in another layer of paint, paying close attention to the edges and to insure good coverage. The last pic is the finish product and looks as good as any NOS taillight I even seen. This 72 Duster lens is one that is very difficult to do, but this process can be used for any mopar lens and will work the same. Remember these important tips. High quality tape. I have always used Krylon paints because i like the results but you can use the brand of your choice but always use the same brand for all the finishes. Polish, polish and polish them some more. You want them to be shiny and clear. Hot soapy water again to remove any polish that is left. Make sure your hands are as clean as possible also so you don't leave any oils on the lens as you tape it off. Take your time and pay attention to the details, it will pay off in the end. The uneven silver on the edge of the lens is not a area to worry about because the gasket will cover this. the second to the last photo is the finish product..

Attachments

• Tricycle 188.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 883
  • Tricycle 186.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 844
  • Tricycle 183.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 836
  • Tricycle 185.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 810
  • Tricycle 194.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 814
  • duster tailights 002.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 783
  • duster tailights 004.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 824
  • Tricycle 196.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 852
Glad to see you're still plugging away at it. Chasing parts is harder than building the car at times.

No kidding! Been chasing a cltch pedal for my Dart for a while,finally found one semi locally. Sometimes the simplest part is the hardest to find...

-
Back