Barracuda Convertible Cylinder Mounting

-
Reaction score
I have a 1969 Barracuda convertible I bought as a project. It was pre-disassembled, so I have a body, drivetrain and a pile-'o-parts. The body is back from the paint shop and I am starting to put all the clean and new stuff back on. I replaced the top pump hoses and bench bled the system, which seems to work well. However, I don't see how to install the cylinders in the body. The FSM is no help. There must be some kind of bracket that engages the holes on either side at the top end of the cylinder. I can't find anything that looks like a bracket in my pile. If you know what I need, please post a pic. I also need one of the plastic bushings that go into the cylinder holes. Thanks.

I don't have any pics, but do you have the top frame installed?
No I do not. It was separate when I bought the project. I will drag it out tomorrow and see what brackets might be on the mechanism. I was incorrectly thinking the cylinders mounted to the body and only the rod connected to the top mechanism. I now think both the cylinders and rod end mount to the mechanism somehow.

From what I remember... The top frame was attached with 3 bolts at each quarter. The pump is bolted in the rear floor. That's about it. So it could have been lifted off as complete assembly, pump, cylinders and all.

I found these pics of the top mechanism from my disassembly, hope they help.

IMG_5927 top pistons.JPG

IMG_5929.JPG

IMG_5930.JPG

I know this is an old post. Trying to understand how to remove the cylinders. The top must be in the well
to release all pressure. But what is the trick to removing the power link clip to slid out the retaining pin, not much
access. The lower pin also is tight, might have to remove the mounting plate?

Remove the mounting plate and everything will be loose. Top up or down really doesn't matter as I recall.

The cylinders is are push pull type. They only have pressure in them when the pump is running.

That doesn't mean you won't get fluid EVERYWHERE!

top up or down is ease of access preference

Thread highjack...

I found these pics of the top mechanism from my disassembly, hope they help

What color was the OEM fluid in your top fluid lines. Mine appears to be clear but my dad may have changed it in the 50 years he had the car.

Thread hijack over....

Thread highjack...

What color was the OEM fluid in your top fluid lines. Mine appears to be clear but my dad may have changed it in the 50 years he had the car.

Thread hijack over....
Factory recommendation was ATF, says right on the pump (if the label is still there), I doubt they'd use anything different at he factory.

Alan

Factory recommendation was ATF, says right on the pump (if the label is still there), I doubt they'd use anything different at he factory.
I agree, I just can not see any color in mine and I haven't opened the system to look. just wondering ion someone else's, OP's looks clear as well but it might be the tubing

I have seen clear hydraulic fluid in the old cars that we have taken apart. My LeBaron convertibles had trans fluid.

-
Back