Barracuda Gas Tank Removal

-

'64 Cuda

Reaction score
Can somone tell me how to remove the tank on my '64 Barracuda? I know about undoing the strap holding the tank. How do you get to the rubber gasket type thing that seals where the filler tube goes through the floor of the car? What about the chrome pipe the tube goes through in the rear storage area? I have the factory '64 shop manual with the Barracuda supplement but it never mentions these things as they apply to the Barracuda. I thought the station wagon mght be the same but it looks like a completely different setup. Does sombody here have a '65 or '66 manual that gives more info?

Hello, I had a hard time removing my gas tank from a 66 'cuda. I finally had to cut around the grommet between the fill tube and the tank. Then I was able to push the rest of the grommet into the tank. Then I removed the tail pipe and the tank came right out. Good luck.

first of all you have to loosen and remove the chromtrim of the bottom carpet under the "Glassback"-area, then you have to loosen the the screws of the drivers-side-carpeting. next step is to loosen the screws that fixing the fillingtube to the quarterpanel (under the cas-cap), also remove the gastank-ventilation inside the quarterpanel. next one is to remove the bottom-plate with the carpet (fixed with some screws behind your backseat-area). when you have removed it, there will be another "gasket" wich seals the fillingtube to the bottom of the car. there are another 5 screws to loosen. then you can reach the grommet of the gastank but lubrication on the grommit and try to move the filling tube. now you can try to loosen the tank under the car, don´t forget to cutoff the fuelsending unit, and move it downwards, while another person holds the filling tube on the otherside, or you can just put out the tube first, and then remove the tank....

puh....not easy for a German to describe....hope you could follow me8-[

Thanks, lilredridinghoo. I think I get it now. I wasn't sure how to go about getting under the carpet, but now I have a good idea.

I just disconnected the fuel line. Undid the strap and pulled down towards the pass side of the car. That left the fuel pipe hanging. Rubber grommet was still sealing the tank. Popped it off with a screw driver. I never touched the chrome filler piece or undid the carpet. Didnt' even know that stuff was under there.

Try putting it back in without taking the screw out of the filler flange. It wont happen. The tube cannot line up with the flange bolted up as the tank cant get into position because of the spare tire well.
I found that it says to remove the 5 screws under the carpet but thats a huge undertaking. I just removed the 3 screws of the flange, pulled the vent tube off the filler pipe and rotated it so you can pull it out of the tank area as much as possible, then you can just catch the fill pipe in the tank grommet and hang the tank loosely. you can now turn the fill pipe and push it into the tank grommet. Its pretty easy to slide in with some grease on the pipe. Then line up the filler flange, tighten and then you can wrestle the vent line back onto the spud. It took me 10 minutes to drop the tank but 60 wrestling the new one up and in.

-
Back