Barracuda vent window adjustment

-

duelingcudas

Reaction score
Could someone explain how to adjust the height of the vent window of a 1964 Barracuda, hopefully with pictures or drawings of which screws need to be loosened (and not needing removal).

I don't have access to any of my doors at the moment for photos, but, I can give you a little info from memory. I assume you mean the whole vent glass and frame assembly? Remove your door panel. One of the attaching points for the vent frame is just forward of where the window crank mounts on the window regulator. The lower one can be found by following the vent glass/door glass divider down almost to the bottom of the door. There's also two allen head bolts under the weatherstrip at the top front edge of the door skin. There's also a couple of mounting bolts that go through door skin and into the lower vent frame. You'll have to loosen all of them to get any kind of movement. If you are just talking about the glass itself, there really isn't any adjustment to it. If it doesn't fit right, something is either worn out, bent, or broken.

Yes, I need to raise the entire frame a fraction of an inch so the glass will clear the stainless door trim. I didn't expect a response for weeks. Thanks.

I knew about the 2 allen head bolts under the weather strip. Unbelievably, those were easy to find.

"One of the attaching points for the vent frame is just forward of where the window crank mounts on the window regulator." Is that a common bolt with crank or regulator? ( I really do not want to mess up regulator adjustments.)

"The lower one can be found by following the vent glass/door glass divider down almost to the bottom of the door." Is this another bolt below the one mentioned above?

"There's also a couple of mounting bolts that go through door skin and into the lower vent frame." Completely mysterious. How could they go through the door skin without being obvious?

Yes, I need to raise the entire frame a fraction of an inch so the glass will clear the stainless door trim. I didn't expect a response for weeks. Thanks.

I knew about the 2 allen head bolts under the weather strip. Unbelievably, those were easy to find.

"One of the attaching points for the vent frame is just forward of where the window crank mounts on the window regulator." Is that a common bolt with crank or regulator? ( I really do not want to mess up regulator adjustments.)

"The lower one can be found by following the vent glass/door glass divider down almost to the bottom of the door." Is this another bolt below the one mentioned above?

"There's also a couple of mounting bolts that go through door skin and into the lower vent frame." Completely mysterious. How could they go through the door skin without being obvious?
The adjustment point forward of the window crank is a nut in a threaded stud. It has a screwdriver slot for the adjustment. It's not connected to the window regulator. The bottom of the vent frame divider bolts to an L shaped bracket. Either or both can be loosened. The two mounting bolts on the lower vent frame are a bit hidden in the door. There are access holes in the inner door frame where you can get to them with a socket. All these points should be visible once you get the door panel off, and the plastic out of the way.

I don't have access to any of my doors at the moment for photos, but, I can give you a little info from memory. I assume you mean the whole vent glass and frame assembly? Remove your door panel. One of the attaching points for the vent frame is just forward of where the window crank mounts on the window regulator. The lower one can be found by following the vent glass/door glass divider down almost to the bottom of the door. There's also two allen head bolts under the weatherstrip at the top front edge of the door skin. There's also a couple of mounting bolts that go through door skin and into the lower vent frame. You'll have to loosen all of them to get any kind of movement. If you are just talking about the glass itself, there really isn't any adjustment to it. If it doesn't fit right, something is either worn out, bent, or broken.
IMG_2637.JPG

A bit too close up a photo to show all the mounting points, but, one is visible in your photo. It's the one with the nut and square washer forward of the window regulator post. Like I mentioned before, the lower one is at the bottom of the door. Just follow the glass divider all the way down. The two lower vent frame bolt access holes should be the ones under the Barracuda door emblem. Just gently pop those emblems off......they just snap in place. While you're inside that door, check all the guides/felts/channels and replace as necessary, lube EVERYTHING that moves with some good spray grease, and inspect the door glass bracket felt and plastic rivet. Chances are the door latch release rod sleeve is worn out or totally gone too. Not super important, but, it keeps that rod from rattling in it's guide.

A bit too close up a photo to show all the mounting points, but, one is visible in your photo. It's the one with the nut and square washer forward of the window regulator post. Like I mentioned before, the lower one is at the bottom of the door. Just follow the glass divider all the way down. The two lower vent frame bolt access holes should be the ones under the Barracuda door emblem. Just gently pop those emblems off......they just snap in place. While you're inside that door, check all the guides/felts/channels and replace as necessary, lube EVERYTHING that moves with some good spray grease, and inspect the door glass bracket felt and plastic rivet. Chances are the door latch release rod sleeve is worn out or totally gone too. Not super important, but, it keeps that rod from rattling in it's guide.

-
Back