Barrel Clips for Fender Emblems

-

Abodysrule

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I see there are barrel clips for attaching emblems to sheet metal via the posts on the emblems. The clips come in sizes to accommodate 1/8" studs and 3/16" studs. My emblems have 1/8" studs and some sort of adhesive or plastic coating that is 3/16" in diameter. Which barrel nuts do I use? Is the plastic there to hold tighter using the 1/8" barrel nuts, or to I count the plastic in the diameter and use the 3/16" barrel nuts.

1.jpg

Not 100 percent sure but...

I think the plastic part is the retainer.

New plastic inserts would go into the body holes and the emblem plugs into the inserts

These plastic bits are stuck on the posts, I think they go into a barrel nut. I'm just not sure which diameter barrel nut to use.

2.jpg

To be more specific, if I cut off the plastic, the metal stud is 1/8" and I'm sure I can use a barrel nut for 1/8" stud. What I'm asking is, if I leave that plastic on there, should I use a 3/16" barrel nut or is that plastic sheath supposed to deform and make the 1/8" barrel nut fit more snugly?

Perhaps you're right and these plastic bits weren't designed for barrel nuts, if so I can remove and use the 1/8" barrel nut.

Perhaps you're right and these plastic bits weren't designed for barrel nuts, if so I can remove and use the 1/8" barrel nut
Have you looked in the FSM or the parts book.

Even classic ind might have the correct parts.

Also how big are the holes in the body

The plastic piece WAS the barrel nut. You can buy new ones to replace the ones that you cut off. I've never been a fan of the metal barrel nuts - sometimes hard to get the emblem back off and they don't seal around the hole. If you can get to the back of the emblem when installed you can use PAL nuts with some sealer inside.

OK, makes sense. My car didn't have these, so no holes yet. These are OEM 360 Four Barrel hood emblems for '72-74 Challenger. I was considering putting them on my '67 Dart front fenders when I do the 360 Magnum install. They still have the plastic barrel nuts on them. Anyone know the I.D. of those holes on the Challenger hood? The O.D. of the plastic bit is 3/16", but I see your point, it has a slight indent closer to the back of the emblem, the sheet metal must seat in there to hold it tight against the surface.

So, not sure I can get to the back of the fender for both posts to use standard nuts that cut into the posts.

-
Back