"Baselining" my 225

-

scott_s

Reaction score
Bear with me here... I may get long winded.

Whenever I get a "new to me" vehicle, I like to give it a baseline tune up and mechanical going over. Never trust a P.O., right?
Now that I've got the brakes sorted, I'd like to start thinking about a base-line for the engine. While it seems to run good, I don't really have any experience with these engines and there are a few things the P.O. did that have me scratching my head.
For starters, I have a '65 Valiant and the engine seems to be from 1980. I know most parts interchange, but I want to make sure I'm ordering the correct stuff.

Here are some pics of the engine #'s and stampings....can anyone confirm that this is from a 1980 passenger car?

1965-plymouth-valiant (6).jpg
10PTIB.jpg
engine #.jpg
engine #1.jpg
engine #2.jpg

Right off the bat, I can see that some service work has been done, but there are also a few "what the heck is this" items.
The air cleaner has been cut/modified. The choke on the carb is manual and there are a couple of ports capped off and a wire cut. (Better carb pics coming soon.

The PCV valve has a plug in it and the part that (I assume) it goes to on the carb is plugged. I want to get a new PCV grommet and valve, but I will probably wait until I pull the valve over to change it. No rubber bits in the engine, please.
Am I correct in thinking that I attach the PCV hose to that blue nipple on the carb?
breather+carb.jpg

My guess is that they used this set of plugs and it didn't have the correct boots?

More Information for NGK 53332

Can someone recommend a set of plugs wires that will come with the correct boots? I see them for plug tubes, electronic ignition, resistors, etc.
Same question for plugs....resistor, non-resistor, etc.
I just need a good, daily driver set of plugs and wires.

Check the number on the edge of the block just behind and under the alternator. It sticks out from under the head there like a shelf. There are a series of numbers there something like RG225 *** *** That can tell you what it is and the year model.

My guess is that they used this set of plugs and it didn't have the correct boots?

More Information for NGK 53332

Can someone recommend a set of plugs wires that will come with the correct boots? I see them for plug tubes, electronic ignition, resistors, etc.
Same question for plugs....resistor, non-resistor, etc.
I just need a good, daily driver set of plugs and wires.
Our member @halifaxhops does all things ignition with our beloved Mopar engines. He can fix you up with the correct plug wires, I believe. I tagged him so maybe he'll chime in.

The cylinder head number comes up as 79-80.

Last edited:
Now, once the tune up stuff, PCV and ignition stuff is sorted, I wouldn't mind doing something about that air cleaner. What kind of pics or info do you need from me to figure out what's going on there and what parts I need to rectify it?
1965-plymouth-valiant (6).jpg
20220301_130340.jpg
20220301_130352.jpg

@scott_s , when you get an opportunity pull the air cleaner off and provide some pictures of the damaged area as well as the carburetor. Is there an in-line fuel filter somewhere?

Yes, there is an inline filter on the LH side of the engine, just out of sight in the pics. Behind and below the alternator, sort of.

As requested, some carb and air cleaner pics. To me, a total newbie, there seem to be a LOT of plugged ports. I guess if this was stock on an ~'80-ish engine, it could have had a whole lot more EPA crap on it versus a '65?
Air cleaner base is hacked up. Air filter fits but doesn't seem like the correct size.
There's a manual choke and it operates properly, but the car doesn't seem to like it when I use it from stone cold. Seems to start better if I just pump the gas a couple of times. It likes about 15-20 seconds to warm up before going into gear.
Let me have it....what kind of mess do I have here and what would you change to fix it? Car seems to run OK. Haven't had it long enough to check gas mileage.

air cleaner.jpg
air cleaner bottom.jpg

carb #s.jpg

carb.jpg

carb1.jpg

carb2.jpg
carb3.jpg
carb4.jpg
throttle linkage.jpg

That's the way wrong carburetor for the car and linkage you have. You need a Carter bbs for an early A body.

I figured it was wrong for the car...probably came with the engine.
Is there anything I can do about the air filter housing?
And would the PCV hose go to the blue nipple in this pic?
breather+carb.jpg

You just need a correct one barrel air cleaner. I'll look. I might have one.

PCV valve is blocked because previous owner used the crankcase breather as a road draft tube. Connect the breather to the air cleaner housing or use an open element breather.

-
Back