Basic mechanic Q o' the day: install hub dust caps - ever had one that was hard to seat properly?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
As long as I've owned my Dart, I've had one ugly hub dust cap that was dented by a previous owner who evidentially used a large rock to get the cap in place at some point in the distant past. It did the job of keeping dust out, didn't leak any grease and I always had wheels that hid them so I didn't really care...until now.

Sure enough, Rock Auto had them in stock for a few bucks. They had the domed same shape as the stock pieces so I ordered them up.

I've never had a problem getting these in place...but this one just isn't cooperating! Typically, I have been able to line them up by hand, gently tap with a rubber mallet to get them seated, then I could tap them right in and they would go in without a second thought. With these new pieces, it appears that they have precisely the same OD as the ID on the hub! :D

I spent a few minutes with some sand paper to try to take off a tiny bit of material and bevel the edge a bit but so far this hasn't helped. Before I get too aggressive with it, I just wanted to check with you guys as to whether or not there might be a trick...and that perhaps when dealing with a cap that hasn't been on and off of a car for 45 years, if the tolerances might be a bit tighter?

Thanks for any tips!

dented cap.JPG

if the tolerances might be a bit tighter?

View attachment 1715169599

There's you're answer. Most of the repop parts now days are made in China or overseas somewhere. The original parts were standard and they are reproduced in metric. I'm sure something gets lost in the transaction dimension wise. And as we all know often times there is not a lot of quality there either. Sounds like you may have to do some more sanding.

There's you're answer. Most of the repop parts now days are made in China or overseas somewhere. The original parts were standard and they are reproduced in metric. I'm sure something gets lost in the transaction dimension wise. And as we all know often times there is not a lot of quality there either. Sounds like you may have to do some more sanding.

Ah. That certainly would explain it.
I'll keep sanding then. This might take a while! Thanks!

i tried a dorman repop and it ended up in the trash.

That's exactly what I've got.
Did you end up finding one that fit properly?

Ah. That certainly would explain it.
I'll keep sanding then. This might take a while! Thanks!

That's exactly what I've got.
Did you end up finding one that fit properly?
If you need one, put a wanted ad here. There will be dozens of people that can send you one.

yes i found good used one for my 9 inch brake drum hub. i dont know if all the dust caps are the same size but if they are have a couple extra.

Thanks, guys.
If my sanding/polishing efforts fail, I will reach out.

put the dust cover in the freezer and heat the hub up a little and make sure there are no burrs on either surface. This will shrinks the cover and expand the hub maybe enough to
seat. Use something like a piece of pipe to fit over the dust cover to knock it in place evenly.

A good caliper to measure bore is the first place to start.
There are many sizes.
There are people that are heavy handed when it comes to dust caps.
I often use a section of pvc pipe to drive them on.
There are actually dust cap pliers to aid in removal.

A good caliper to measure bore is the first place to start.
There are many sizes.
There are people that are heavy handed when it comes to dust caps.
I often use a section of pvc pipe to drive them on.
There are actually dust cap pliers to aid in removal.

I have also heard there are different sizes even though the seller says they fit.

It's the Dorman aftermarket garbage and no thermal contraction is going to make them fit. Might as well spit on it and put some hair around the hole.

Go to pick n pull and rob them off a fifth ave or similar. The dodge dealer still stocked them for a fifth ave last I checked, and possibly early Dakota's, but they were running out.

A piece of pipe or schedule 40 PVC with an inside diameter allowing it to slide over the dome of the cap and butt up against the small "perimeter flange," allowing you to drive it on, without damaging the cap. Once the cap is on, the recessed portion of the cap that went into the hub, should take shape of the hub, however it may be a little stubborn getting it back off to service the hub.
Norm

Same problem on my 73 Duster ended up using a piece of pipe to drive them in any one out there have a line on sail panels for 73 -76 Duster ?

Anything you buy now will not fit properly. Seems silly for such a basic item, but one needs to make adjustments one way or the other now using your own ingenuity.

I put a pair of chrome moroso's on mine and used piece of exhaust pipe with a 2 x 4 over the pipe that fit over the cap but// fit tight against the shoulder of the cap and gave one good WHAP with a 3lb hammer

-
Back