Basic steel wheel paint color

-

DavidW

Reaction score
My restoration is going to have the basic steel wheels painted body color. Were the back of these wheels originally painted body color, or hot rod semi/satin black? Thanks for any advise given, Dave.

As a young guy my first new car out of high school was an F8 green Swinger 340, but couldn't remember about the wheels as I soon took them off and put on chrome slotted ones. I like the look of matching wheels and the dog dish/poverty camps. Thanks for your input.

Body color only with dog-dish caps, satin/semi-gloss on full wheel covers

Black cars with dog-dish got gloss black wheels.

Alan

So your saying satin/semi-gloss black? However mine will be dog dish, so body color all surfaces?

dog dish the car and wheels were matched. full wheel covers had black painted wheels. the B bodies were the same as well.

The wheels are gloss black and then just the front face gets painted body color. Wheels are gloss black, look at original spares they were never used, or under the tires where the paint was never worn or weathered.

Mopar steel wheels are not satin black.

1F92BF76-4997-4A81-B709-469516D57A49.png

C05C0586-4F2E-40F9-BDDD-E1B06A0198DE.png

8FE5F2F4-757D-4B2E-AF54-6A9BF6A11DE6.png

Last edited:
I thought up until '70 both sides were body color and then in '70 only one side was body color.

I thought up until '70 both sides were body color and then in '70 only one side was body color.
That just wrong. I have 1967 and 1968 wheels I can photo today, just body color of front face.

-
Back