-

Big Dad

Reaction score
Do you run 1 or 2 ?

12 vt or 16 ?

How large is your Battery Vs the size of the motor in CI

Compression ?

Opinions

I think 1 D battery will work just fine.

20 question time

What car?
What year?
What engine?
Where is the battery?
What size wires are you using?
Are you going to use an alternator while driving?

I just run 2 Autozone 12-volt units in my trunk. The weight doesn't really hurt back there. I've also done the 16-volt thing, and went thru 4 batteries in 2 years. My friend's ultra lightweight sportbike caught fire while we were at a lunch stop. NO idea why, but it had a lithium. I had them in 2 of my bikes without issue, but replaced them after his deal. Batteries are funky things. My dually that was built in 10-2002, still has the originals.

I have a single Optima red top 12v battery in the trunk of my avatar Demon. 408 at 10.5 CR using a mini-starter. Cranks as fast as you would ever need under any conditions I've ever had - hot or cold. 95A single wire alternator with a 4ga charging wire feeding it. First Optima battery I've had - been amazed by it. Always full up and ready to go.

I Use an 9 year old AGM type repo yellow cap top. Still alive and kicking!

One 12 volt Sears Platinum batteries now sold by Advance Auto and a single wire Chevy 60 amp alternator I paid 35.00 for off a table at Norwalk 10 years ago. I try to put a trickle charger on it once a month at home. Zero charging at track.

We have 4 race cars in our stable:

All have 1 battery, 12 volt and we run an alternator.
1 has a Red Top Optima (360 10.5:1)
1 has a Yellow Top Optima (408 12:1)
1 has a Napa Battery (410 10.7:1)
My car has interstate Battery AGM battery 800 CCA (440 10.75:1)

We don't race near as much as we used to, maybe once or twice a month. Typically, the day before we go to the track, I'll put a charger on the car to make sure the battery is topped off before the race weekend.

434", 11.2- 1, I run one group 24 in the trunk and also run an alternator, this is a street/strip deal. I relocated the battery to the trunk and picked up zero in the way the car hooked, it did lighten my wallet some though.

single Optima red top. Utilize alternator. Have a quick connect in trunk that we hook up a deep cycle battery to in the pits for the fan and water pump so we can cool down without beating up the cars battery.

The only reasons I can think of to run two batteries any more is not running and alternator (I think every drag car that doesn’t get towed back to the pits can benefit from an alternator and what you lose in HP driving it you gain back and then some with a hotter, more consistent spark) and starting the engine on 24 volts.

You use a series/parallel switch so the starter gets 24 volts and then the rest of the system runs on 12 volts.

Its IMO the best way to start an engine and believe it or not, the starter will last longer and the engine will light off quicker.

I run one 16v XS Power D1600 battery with a 150amp Powermaster alternator. I’ve had zero issues with 16v batteries. I used to run with no alternator and only one 16v battery. The battery would tolerate hot lapping with minimal to no charging in between round robin rounds. Once I went with the alternator I don’t need to charge at all now.

Lot of guys don’t like 16v and it’s given them troubles. I must be lucky cause ever since I switched to 16v I would not even consider going back to 12v. I have had the same 16v battery since 2015.

I run one 16v XS Power D1600 battery with a 150amp Powermaster alternator. I’ve had zero issues with 16v batteries. I used to run with no alternator and only one 16v battery. The battery would tolerate hot lapping with minimal to no charging in between round robin rounds. Once I went with the alternator I don’t need to charge at all now.

Lot of guys don’t like 16v and it’s given them troubles. I must be lucky cause ever since I switched to 16v I would not even consider going back to 12v. I have had the same 16v battery since 2015.

Yaaaa but we all know you fast guys have all the money.

580", 15-1. Used to run two 875 CCA Optimas. Now one 16 volt 675 CCA XS. The single 16 volt is WAY better. Should've done it first.
Doug

I don't have an alternator in my drag car. 13.5:1 compression Gen III Hemi. I switched from 12 volt to 2-14 volt XS power batteries in the trunk and it has been one of the best changes I've made to this car and I wish I had done it years ago! I charge in between passes, although I don't think I really need to. I can run all of the accessories and deal with multiple start/stops in the staging lanes with no worries about being under voltage by the time I actually go down the track. Big electric radiator fan used to really suck the power, but now it is no problem and I can use the fan to regulate temperature in the lanes/burnout area/staging if I need to. Mini starter has never been an issue with this motor, it always spins like a low compression street motor. I've been told that this is how Gen III's work.

I run a single yellow top optima. I have EFI, 2 fuel pumps, one 4000CFM fan, electric water pump, and all the streetcar stuff. 105amp alternator. 10:1 418 small block. I have made 12 passes at the track, cooling between rounds and downloading data logs. Hasn't given me any trouble, I changed my last one out when it was 10 years old.

It all depends on what you are trying to start. A relatively low compression engine with mild valve springs and a big alternator? Street drive? Anything will start it. Add high compression, stiff springs, big fans, big fuel pump, small alternator, heat soak with quick turn around at the track. Think about track use. Start the car up. Go to the lanes at close to idle. Start 3-4 more times in the lanes. Make a 8-13 second wot pass, idle back. Now turn the fans and water pump to cool down. Repeat for up to 8 rounds. Now much time does the alternator have to replentish the battery?
Doug

I only have a Holley black pump, an electric water pump, 2100 cfm 2 speed fan and an MSD 6AL as accessories, but this 13 pound battery has been very impressive. It will sit unhooked for 2 months and still have 12.2-12.8 volts before cranking.

4C110F3F-E657-4408-AC84-17963B291587.jpeg

CBF68624-7290-4A80-A6A4-C033ACA29DE3.jpeg

-
Back