Battery drain issue

-
The blue wire reading at the plug coming from the column was .053v. The same wire on the other side of the connector (going toward firewall) was .064v

Does this mean the problem could be in the bulkhead connector?

Thanks.

That reading is not much. If you read that right, that is less than 1/10 V per reading

You need to re-check the original two points where you started. That is, the VR ign feed and the battery. This is because the bad connection CAN CHANGE. You may have wiggled something and "made" the connection.

Still another way you can do this is to connect the meter "as above" and watch it, while you wiggle the ignition switch connector and the bulkhead connector and see if it changes

This time with key turned to run but engine off. It read 11.84 at the battery, and 1.52 at the blue field wire at the alt. So I add those together and get 13.36? Or did I misunderstand that. Thanks again.

You need to diagnose the problem first, not throw parts at it and hope you come up with the fix.
Thank you Jim. That is exactly what I am trying to do by asking these questions.

I ‘threw’ a new alternator and VR at it based on the answers to those questions and the age of the original parts. I am optimistic.

Have a great weekend.

what kind of VR are you using, points or electronic?> Make sure the electronic has a good ground from its case to the firewall with a star washer as I believe the VR uses a variable ground to this mounting surface to vary the 'excitement' of the alternator.

what kind of VR are you using, points or electronic?> Make sure the electronic has a good ground from its case to the firewall with a star washer as I believe the VR uses a variable ground to this mounting surface to vary the 'excitement' of the alternator.
It’s an electronic VR. I added a star washer just to be safe after reading some posts on here

This time with key turned to run but engine off. It read 11.84 at the battery, and 1.52 at the blue field wire at the alt. So I add those together and get 13.36? Or did I misunderstand that. Thanks again.

No you add the running / charging voltage WHICH WOULD BE NORMAL which is 13.8---14.2, to the "drop" which is 1.52

This means the VR SHOULD run the battery at nominal 14V, but the drop added (1.52) means the battery likely charging at 15.52.

Now with the car running, the battery charged, and the engine warm, run at a fast idle and check voltage at the battery. "I bet" it is AT LEAST 15.52 OR HIGHER. You need to find that drop and fix it. Again, it could be "a combination." And, it can "come and go."

Just got back from a 30 minute drive and tested again. Voltage at the battery was 13.22 at idle and 14.14 with engine rpm.

Those numbers seem to be close to normal, but as you said the problem can come and go. The flicker issue is still there.

If you think that adding the relay as you described could solve these problems it seems like it may be time to give that a shot.

If you cannot easily fix voltage drop in the hot side of the harness, one way around it is to cut the blue "ignition run" wire coming out of the bulkhead at some point BEFORE it branches off. Use the end coming out of the firewall to trigger a Bosch relay, power the relay through a breaker / fuse from the starter relay stud, and hook the other cut end of the blue "IGN1" to the switched contact on the relay. This will then provide a solid voltage referenced to the battery for underhood loads, including the VR

Does it matter which relay I use for this? I was looking for one to order and noticed some have different numbers for the contacts on the relay. Anyone have a part number or what numbers on the posts I should be looking for? Thanks!

Added a relay and the flicker issue is no more! Thanks Del for suggesting that and explaining how to wire it up. Very happy!

I've been gone. Looks like you made progress!
No worries! After reading and rereading this thread as well as a couple other threads on here I removed and cleaned the bulkhead connectors and while they did need a good cleaning the issue remained. So I added the relay as you described and that did the trick! Much appreciated as always.

-
Back