Battery gutting

-

RealWing

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The Group 27 repro battery died on my Superbird and I decided to try gutting it and putting an Odyssey PC925 battery inside like others have done. I started with this link - post # 48135 https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/48134/3.html
, but did a few things differently. I first made sure to completly discharge the battery by connecting to a load tester for a few weeks. I then built a simple wooded frame to sit the battery in upside down to make it easier to work on and protect the battery caps from damage.
WARNING: Lead is hazardous to your health. Wear gloves and an approved respirator and keep everything wet when cutting.
IMG_5213_1280x960.JPG
IMG_5212_1280x960.JPG
IMG_5189_1280x960.JPG
IMG_5190_1280x960.JPG
IMG_5194_1280x960.JPG
IMG_5196_1280x960.JPG
IMG_5199_960x960.JPG
IMG_5203_1280x960.JPG
IMG_5214_1280x960.JPG
IMG_5215_1280x960.JPG

Then drilled a few holes in the bottom to drain any liquid acid. Like the above post warned - drill holes in the 4 corners and leave part of the bottom in place so you don't crack the side walls. i used an air powered cutoff disk to slice the bottom of the battery around the edge and a few cuts down the middle. Then carefully break out sections of the bottom.
I just pried out all the old plates and used baking soda as I went to neutralize any acid. A long slow process!!!!
Then cut off the intercell lead posts.
Other people have drilled and tapped the Positive and negative lead posts inside the battery with limited success because the post is small (1/2") and the lead is soft. Thus it is hard to get a good solid connection.
My approach was to use some 1/2" copper tube and make some bushings to fill the space between a standard battery terminal and the 1/2" lead post. I cut 3 pieces of copper tube, cut out a small piece and put 3 inside each battery terminal. Place this over the post and tighten the clamp!! A nice solid connection. I just used a 16", 1 Ga battery cable. It is probably a few inches too long but it should fit OK.
The battery is on order, so will post a few more pics when I get it installed.

How are you disposing of the battery internals? I have two batteries i would like to try this on, but do not know what to do with the removed debris.

How are you disposing of the battery internals? I have two batteries i would like to try this on, but do not know what to do with the removed debris.
Good question. Our municipality has hazardous waste disposal days a couple of times a year where residents can drop off any hazardous materials. All the different items are sorted separately and then recycled or disposed of according to Environmental Laws. I sealed the guts in some plastic containers and they put it with all the batteries they collect. Definitely do not want to put lead in the regular garbage.
Jim

The PC925 battery arrived and had to do a little more cutting to get it to fit. I sliced the filler cap pieces so the battery would sit down flat (first photo)
Then simply connected the battery, slid it into place and added some foam pieces to secure it in place. It fits right under the one side of the battery case. I think I'll leave the bottom open since the battery is secure.
IMG_5238_1280x960.JPG
IMG_5239_1280x960.JPG
IMG_5240_1280x960.JPG
IMG_5241_1280x960.JPG
IMG_5242_1280x960.JPG
IMG_5243_1280x960.JPG

Put the battery in my Superbird yesterday and it cranks over the 440-6bbl without any problem at all.
Looks like this same PC925 battery will fit inside a green or yellow cap repro battery as well. I have a green top for my Barracuda that is dying, so it will be next.

Nice workmanship. The original battery had 500 CCA. Your label looks like it reads 330 CCA.
Time will tell how well it works for you.

So far no problems at all. Yes the cca is lower but the pulse hot cranking amps PHCA is 900 probably due to the low internal resistance in these batteries

-
Back