Battery impact guns

-

Steve welder

Reaction score
In 2019 I bought a DeWalt 1/2 drive 20 volt impact gun
I was impressed with them after seeing the shop mechanic use one ( Ingersol rand) and the power and how long battery lasted between charges
I felt that it was a waste of electricity to run the compressor just to use my impact wrench for a couple of bolts so I broke down and went for the DeWalt but I always felt that the torque was limited
Yesterday, I was installing something on the frame of a truck using grade 8 , 5/8 bolts. I figured id run them up tight as the wrench could and finish them by hand
Well I didnt need to do that, I tightened one down and it was pretty socked up there and the next one I thought let me see what it takes to stop the gun from turning......Well it didnt stop tightened that bolt and when it started to spin faster I knew I F'd up
I put it on reverse but it would just spin, that gun pulled those threads and stripped the nut or bolt. I dont know which....I had to pull out the torch and cut off the head and knock the stud through.....
My newer air impact is more compact less bulky, stronger and stronger on reverse for sure but this De Walt has some balls and fits the bill in certain situations

In 2019 I bought a DeWalt 1/2 drive 20 volt impact gun
I was impressed with them after seeing the shop mechanic use one ( Ingersol rand) and the power and how long battery lasted between charges
I felt that it was a waste of electricity to run the compressor just to use my impact wrench for a couple of bolts so I broke down and went for the DeWalt but I always felt that the torque was limited
Yesterday, I was installing something on the frame of a truck using grade 8 , 5/8 bolts. I figured id run them up tight as the wrench could and finish them by hand
Well I didnt need to do that, I tightened one down and it was pretty socked up there and the next one I thought let me see what it takes to stop the gun from turning......Well it didnt stop tightened that bolt and when it started to spin faster I knew I F'd up
I put it on reverse but it would just spin, that gun pulled those threads and stripped the nut or bolt. I dont know which....I had to pull out the torch and cut off the head and knock the stud through.....
My newer air impact is more compact less bulky, stronger and stronger on reverse for sure but this De Walt has some balls and fits the bill in certain situations
Yep. Sold DeWalt and MAC branded DeWalt for years. Lots of happy customers.

You should see the Milwaukee Fuel 1/2" impact. I have DeWalt at home - try to support local companies - but my work stuff is Milwaukee. They're a bit tougher.

I have a milwaukee 1/2" and 3/8 impact. I never use my air impacts anymore.

Regardless of battery or air, when I use my impacts, I just bring them up snug and finish with a torque wrench. Most car lug nuts call for 100 lb/ft and trucks 110. Most impacts have way more than that.

Regardless of battery or air, when I use my impacts, I just bring them up snug and finish with a torque wrench. Most car lug nuts call for 100 lb/ft and trucks 110. Most impacts have way more than that.
110?
What kind of girly truck is that?

My manual calls for 150 foot pounds of torque per lugnut...thats 4800 foot pounds

Many 1/2 tons. My Ram is 130. Still yet, most impacts are rated higher than that. I stand by my suggestion. Impact until snug, finish with a torque wrench.

My big impact has a cord never short on power and I'll never buy a new battery. The battery stuff has come a long way and is actually awesome until you have to buy new batteries.

I carry mine in my truck. Only had to use it once, but glad it had a battery as there wasn’t any place close to plug it in.

@Steve welder will this tool take off a Rear differential pinion nut? Do you have a part number or is there only one Dewalt 20 volt impact.

I sold my big air compressor when we moved & gave away my air tools. All I use is battery & corded tools. Got a 1/2 dewalt plug in impact, a Ryobi 18V impact & a harbor freight 3/8 battery ratchet. Al of them work really well. That’s all a schmuck shade tree mechanic like me needs.

Plus the air compressor drowned out my music..

My big impact has a cord never short on power and I'll never buy a new battery. The battery stuff has come a long way and is actually awesome until you have to buy new batteries.
I agree. Batteries only last so long. That IR that I first saw the mechanic use was at the time a top of the line tool and it was exepensive
I will admit the guy used it hard five days a week and it lasted about a year at most.... Everything has its place id say
I have a electric impact that I used in the field to run up bolts and then finished tighten at hand
It came in very handy, used it on pipe flanges that had up to 1 1/4 nuts were I could fit it in, saved time
I still needed to finish by hand and go over often with a slugging wrench
In a repair shop with a good sized compressor id still depend on a quality air impact gun
The first electric impact I had broke the housing one day when I used it and it wasn't like I used it everyday, the replacement I bought is in the bottom of the drawer now

Battery technology has improved so much. Ni-cad batteries only lasted me about 2-3 years & I had to have a bunch of them and a bunch of chargers to get though a days work.

The lithium ion batteries outlast the tools now. I only need a couple batteries & one charger. I have a 10+ year old power screw driver that I still use. It is taped together, but still works fine.

Very few reasons left that require dragging an air hose around. The improvements in battery tools is nothing short of amazing. Buy quality brands like Makita or Milwaukee and you won't be disappointed.

I have a set of M12’s that I’ve had for close to 10 years. The original batteries have pretty much give up, and I’ve upgraded to some brushless tools, but they’re all still working fine. I had a set of Porter Cable 20 volt that are still working fine. I passed them onto my nephew, and have replaced them with Ryobi. More power than the PC’s with good reviews. I’m not a pro, so these are for home use, so I think they will serve me well. If a pro, I’d go either DeWalt or M18’s.

I keep a Milwaukee fuel 1400 ft/lb one behind the seat of my truck.

I ran into some really rusted lug nuts on our camper one time with a flat on the side of the road.
It took forever to change the flat, after that is when I bought the battery powered impact.
I don't use it much, but it is handy.

What I do use a lot is my battery powered circular saw, so much easier to just grab it, than a corded one.

My 1/2-inch impact is a Rigid, that I bought at Home Depot. Both the tool and battery are lifetime guarantee. I haven't put it on anything yet that it won't bust loose!

I keep a Milwaukee fuel 1400 ft/lb one behind the seat of my truck.

I ran into some really rusted lug nuts on our camper one time with a flat on the side of the road.
It took forever to change the flat, after that is when I bought the battery powered impact.
I don't use it much, but it is handy.

What I do use a lot is my battery powered circular saw, so much easier to just grab it, than a corded one.

Last several home improvement projects have all been 75% Milwaukee M18 powered... I still use compressor for nail guns (although I've looked at the Milwaukee's) and my sliding compound miter saw is a staple. Skilsaw, reciprocating saw, drill, impact drill and multi tool are all battery. Replaced a sliding glass door, framed out and built new shed doors and installed laminate flooring. Very happy with performance and great when you don't have to mess around with a bunch of 100' extension cords.

Recently picked up a 1/2" impact wrench for upcoming front end and brake work.

I worked for Home Depot in the tool rental department. We handled warranty for the tools they sold. Ridgid is lifetime warranty, however we had a customer that had a trailer business and was constantly bringing in the 1/2 impacts for warranty (they had several). I asked them why they kept buying Ridgid impacts, they said because they are lifetime warranty. Personally, I own a Milwaukee. I love it! The get the high torque model (they have two). It takes off my tow truck wheels with no effort. While working at HD, I spoke to the tool rep there. She handled all the battery powered tools. Asked which was best. She said Ridgid and Riobi were consumer quality while Milwaukee and Dewalt tools are for professionals. She recommended Milwaukee. Good call.

I have the milwaukee fuel pn#2767 impact.
1000 ft/lbs tightening and 1400 ft/lbs of loosening.

Have not used it much but it has loosened some bolts that a 3/4 breaker bar with a 4 foot pipe would not break loose.

110?
What kind of girly truck is that?

My manual calls for 150 foot pounds of torque per lugnut...thats 4800 foot pounds

Just torqued the lugnuts on my 69 Swinger yesterday . Manual says #80... my 78 Dodge Motorhome specifies #300.

Air tools have their place, corded tools have their place, cordless tools have their place. It all depends what you are doing and where you are doing it.:)

-
Back