Battery in trunk (again)

-

GoDartGo

thread killer un-member
Reaction score
Okay, in talking with another member about relocating my battery to the trunk of my 71 Dart, it was suggested that I start a thread here.

I will start with what I have and what I plan to do.
'71 Dart. 360 727 8.75 mostly street, some foot brake thrills at the track.
Most of the stock wiring is still in place. No heater/radio/air, however, all the under dash wiring is still there.
I want to move the battery to the trunk. I want to pass IHRA tech. The only extra thing that will need power in the future will be a cooling fan for the radiator. (Source from heater)?
My plan was to use this schematic .....

batt-cuttoff_zps468a9a9f-jpg.jpg

However, I'm not sure of what kind or what brand or amp rating a Continuous duty relay to used. or if it needs to be a continuous duty.

Let the fun begin. -shawn

Get a CD relay that has a capacity larger than your alternator.

There are easier ways to install a CD relay. I am not a fan of running starter loads through the cut off switch. It takes some wire to do this safely with correct sizing.

I run my stuff with a CD relay and a ford/jeep style starter solenoid at the battery.

Lots of ways to skin a cat.

do you have a picture of that? I'm not able to visualize that in my head. Thanks, -shawn

You will also have to tin off the entire trunk from the pass compartment. So speaker package tray as well as behind the seat. All holes need to be filled. To me, it's not worth all the grief for the minimal if nothing you will gain by putting the battery in the trunk.

You will also have to tin off the entire trunk from the pass compartment. So speaker package tray as well as behind the seat. All holes need to be filled. To me, it's not worth all the grief for the minimal if nothing you will gain by putting the battery in the trunk.

You dont need to do that if the battery is enclosed properly, only if you also have the fuel cell in the trunk

Crackedback gave me lots of good info when I moved my battery to the trunk and everything works great. He's a good source for electrical parts too.

I used Moroso battery box, it's nhra approved.

Crackedback gave me lots of good info when I moved my battery to the trunk and everything works great. He's a good source for electrical parts too.

I used Moroso battery box, it's nhra approved.
Yes the battery box eliminated the need for all the tin work and hole sealant.

Crackedback gave me lots of good info when I moved my battery to the trunk and everything works great. He's a good source for electrical parts too. I used Moroso battery box, it's nhra approved.
is that in a thread you could post the link for?

justinp61 said:
Crackedback gave me lots of good info when I moved my battery to the trunk and everything works great. He's a good source for electrical parts too. I used Moroso battery box, it's nhra approved.

I'm looking into his set up too. Thanks.

Appreciate the props Justin.

Here's a pic of one of my set ups. Looks busy, it's really not. CD relay up top, solenoid on bottom. Fuseblock and relay blocks for anything in the rear that needs power. All could be mounted to the side of an approved metal battery box if that's the direction you go.

LGHIGbK.jpg

-
Back