Battery relocation- Does anyone know of an actual hydrogen sulfide explosion incident?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
I finally got around to relocating my battery to the trunk. Obviously, I followed the instructions which called for a ventilation tube to prevent a buildup of hydrogen sulfide gas, which is generated when the system is charging the battery.

It got me thinking though. Does anyone know of an actual incident when somebody’s trunk exploded from improper ventilation?

I don’t doubt that it could happen but it also seems extraordinarily rare. This could be a symptom of everyone properly ventilating their system but something tells me that’s not the only reason cars aren’t exploding from H2S2.

Also, how long does hydrogen sulfide stick around? It makes me wonder if my old bench seat is an explosive hazard… :D

The battery in my Cuda blew up last year in the garage. I’m still not sure why but it was on the charger for a couple days and I went out in the morning to start it up. At the turn of the key on top of the battery came off. It was like a bomb going off, extremely loud. Plastic pieces all over the garage and battery acid all over the inside engine compartment and on the workbench. Luckily I was sitting in the driver seat behind the windshield With the hood open. I’m convinced that if it was closed, the fiberglass AAR hood would’ve been destroyed. I’ll be happy if I never have to experience that again.

Not sure about hydrogen sulfide but, don't put aerosol deoderant in the trunk

Greg Rasa
Mon, August 9, 2021, 10:51 AM

A semi truck carrying 27,000 pounds of Degree deodorant in aerosol cans exploded at an Oklahoma truck stop, with spray cans firing off as projectiles in all directions — even bouncing off the fire truck that responded to the blaze.

The blast happened in the early hours Friday at a Love's truck stop off I-44 near the town of Big Cabin, northeast of Tulsa, where the driver had pulled in with brake problems. The hot brakes caught the tires on fire, and the blaze spread to the trailer and its explosive contents.

Yes,I had one when jump starting my 1950 Ford F1 pick up back in the 1970's.The battery exploded. I was a kid and didn't know any better,I caused a spark disconnecting the cables ang BOOM !.The hood shielded me from the acid .I was a very lucky kid that day.

I had one blow up too. Dirty connection on the battery post. Car was sitting overnight, i just turned the key to start and it exploded. It releases gas while discharging too.

Had one go off in my face after we charged the battery and then took a terminal off to troubeshoot a short, I got lucky for sure, was back in the early 80's no eye wash stations back then just a slop sink.

I don't have experience with a trunk explosion.....but here's MY annoying story from the past.....

I was doing an oil change on a truck on a drive on pit style alignment rack. I was standing on the passenger's side rack, with 4' of pit underneath me. .....and I guess about that same 4' to level shop floor "on the other side" of the pit.

As I was loosening the oil filter with my filter wrench, the handle of the filter wrench contacted the positive post of the starter. It must have generated a spark inside the battery......directly under my face and the battery exploded in my face.

Now I had worked in this shop a number of years and was very familiar with my surroundings there. Having only one eye, I knew this was a pretty serious situation. I spun around and totally blindly jumped to where "I knew" the floor was on the other side of the pit and luckily landed right where I thought I would and went straight to the bathroom and flushed my eye and face really good.

I got real lucky and didn't even get a single burn I acted so quickly. That ONE incident right there taught me to always wear safety glasses no matter what I'm doing around a vehicle.

So yes, although not in a trunk, I do have experience with a battery explosion.

I also had a battery explosion happen to me at a spray car wash. A guy asked for a jump start and he crossed the ends. Blew it up in my face. Had to find water for my eyes and an ER trip. Eye patches for the weekend and the worst part was a blown up battery in my 70 340 duster and a favorite mopar shirt with acid holes throughout. Kept my eyesight and i hookup the cables from then on.

A trunk would be a perfect accumulator for fumes. And if the stoichiometric ratio is right, one little spark and boom! Instant one time power trunk opener.

I have on e in the trunk of the dart, in a airtight case with a vent tube that goes throug the flloor to the outside. Prob the best you can do for a acid battery.

I have a customer with trunk mounted battery and fuel pump. I dislike both. Relays in trunk,trunk light make it a high risk. Its coming for a fall project, think i will try to convince him that original mounting locations are safer.

Yep.
I've seen and heard batteries blow up. It happens.
Vapors get ignited by heat = rapid oxidation. (Aka Explosion). Lol

Yep, 90 ford E350 van. Very well maintained van used by carpoolers where I worked. I had just refueled it, got in, turned the key and bam, top of battery sitting on the engine, acid everywhere.

Luckily hood was closed.(haven't even been opened at the station.) I have no idea why it happened.

2 friends had a battery blow in their face. We were always charging these old *** batteries (we were kinda poor back then) I always hook the battery to the charger and then the charger to the wall now. first guy ran for a hose and got rinsed off, second guy was in his garage so he went for the sink. He gave me that new Edelbrock 600 with the driver side void of all shine due to the acid. scary stuff.

Dead batteries and bad connections and battery chargers don't mix. Always have a good battery and clean connections and charge your battery out of the vehicle in a ventilated space and you will have reduced the chances of explosions. Seen 2 go off in my life both were dead and on chargers. Went off like bombs not good.

I have a customer with trunk mounted battery and fuel pump. I dislike both. Relays in trunk,trunk light make it a high risk. Its coming for a fall project, think i will try to convince him that original mounting locations are safer.
I knew of a drag car set up this way. Kid( I personally knew) bought it and drove it on the street. The thing blew up. Killed him. No one is sure exactly how it happened but I have to think it was more gasoline vapor than acid vapor.

Last edited:
You definitely want to vent that stuff out of the trunk. Does your car have a firewall between the trunk area and back seat?

I finally got around to relocating my battery to the trunk. Obviously, It makes me wonder if my old bench seat is an explosive hazard… :D
With this statement in the OP, I'd say no firewall.

I just finished my battery relocation as well, and added the vent hose to the enclosed box. Even an AGM battery can vent and cause an explosion.

Remember that all the new Challengers and Chargers on the road today have their battery in the trunk. And they seem to crank fine and have no issues as long as the vent is hooked up. I did run across a picture of a Charger that had a battery explosion in the trunk when I was researching whether or not I needed a vent with an AGM battery, but can't find it now.

In the end, I see no issue with an enclosed battery box and a vent or an AGM battery with the vent tube hooked up.

Oh, and my car cranks and runs fine with the battery in the trunk.

-
Back