Bay area help needed to install suregrip?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I don't do differentials. Who can i find in the San Frsncisco, San Jose, Oakland area who is qualified to install a used suregrip for my 8 1/4 rear end? Thank you.

I don't do differentials. Who can i find in the San Frsncisco, San Jose, Oakland area who is qualified to install a used suregrip for my 8 1/4 rear end? Thank you.
You find anyone yet??
Im in hayward, and know a few shops local

This might not be as hard as you think. You have what? I'm guessing a functional 8 1/4 "single" and yo want to use the same ring/ pinion which is properly set up?

If that's the case, there are only "a couple" things to worry about as the pinion should already be correct........

You need to set up bearing preload on the side gears, and walk them in until you get the backlash right in the ring / pinion. This is covered in the shop manuals. Main thing you need is a dial indicator

Below, EG is right out of the 72 shop manual

backlash1.jpg

backlash2.jpg

You should not have to worry about the gear tooth contact pattern as I'm assuming the pinion was already properly installed.

This guy is in hayward.... he did my rearend, and its holdin up to my 4speed fine
He does real clean work

-
Back